Quantcast Which CM would you NOT want to be?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which CM would you NOT want to be?

The other thread got me thinking about a conversation that I had with DH in the parks in September about which jobs we wouldn't want in the parks. (Since we dream of working for WDW someday.)

I said that I wouldn't want to be the Mickey in Fantasmic, due to the terrain and pyrotechnics. Ariel was another character I wouldn't want to play... she is pretty constrained in her movements but she has to keep moving her tail!

Is there a CM that you wouldn't want to be?
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Food Services and Bathroom clean up would be on the bottom of my list.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Anything in Entertainment - I'm not an actor.

Wouldn't be in Merchandise, Food/Beverage, or Custodial, either.

I like either runnin' the attractions, or fixin' 'em
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't be caught in one of those full body character costumes...way too hot in Florida for that Also wouldn't not want to clean bathrooms in the parks

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want to be a dancer or character in the parades. Ugh. I'd hate to wear any long sleeved costume anywhere in Florida.

I had a great conversation with a bus driver heading to the Studios on Thursday. He and his wife honeymooned in Disney in 1976 and they fell in love with it then. They moved to FL 7 years ago and he started driving a bus for Disney. He said he chose the buses because he got to interact with people and it was one of the few jobs at Disney that had guaranteed air conditioning. I told him that he was a wise man.

I personally would LOVE to be a server at Victoria & Albert's. Amazing job.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

I would not want to be any CM. I think I rather my status remain "guest".

DH and I joke that one day we'll retire and move to Disney to work. But honestly I don't know that I'd want to work there. I wouldn't want the magic to be lost in a job.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I would hate to work anywhere that I could not see outside. For example, I hear folks talk about how fun to work Haunted Mansion or Pirates...I would HATE working in there. Now, I could greet the guests and get them into the queue, but no way would I want to work loading the guests.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Monorail. I always remember talking to a driver from my homestate of Ohio who laughingly said, "Where else than Disney can you retire and still play with trains all day."
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

Makes me have a greater appreciation for the CM's that keep things running smooth and clean. I agree - the costumes would be horribly hot, cleaning bathrooms can't be that great and just keeping the guests happy could be one great headache I would think. I see lots of complaints on the boards so it is good to see the other side and what people wouldn't want to do (and their reasons) at Disney. So lets keep the CM's happy and working there so we can enjoy our vacations there.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

It's a Small World!

Nooooooo . . . . . THAT song all day long?!?!?!? You couldn't pay me enough . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

i would never wont to work in the speed way im mk. it is way too hot with all the tar , plus the exhaust smell is horrible.
    Moe
    1991 CBR, Honeymoon
    2004 POFQ
    2005 BC & Poly
    2006 Yacht Club
    2007 Yacht Club

2009 Boardwalk Inn
    2010 Boardwalk Inn
    2011 Boardwalk Inn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moe513 View Post
    i would never wont to work in the speed way im mk. it is way too hot with all the tar , plus the exhaust smell is horrible.
    Only if you're not used to it

Living in Florida for my first 40 years, it was no problem for me working at the Speedway. However, all these college kids from up north and the midwest, had a heat stroke nearly every day....LOL
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

I think Astro Orbiter. It's the only ride I can think of with a boring queue. A bunch of pipes keeping you in line. You can't really get interact with the guests.

Any character in summer, I don't do real well in the heat and humidity.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I'd want to be a CM at Journey Into Your Imigination. Its a very boring ride. (Not Disney's best effort.) I think I could get excited about being a CM anywhere else. At JIYI, I think I'd feel like I was stuck somewhere where no one really cared about.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Crowd control during the fireworks trying to keep some of the 'taped off' walkways clear. I've watched those poor guys/gals having to go back and forth telling folks that if they want to stand still they need to be across the line of tape otherwise the pathway needs to be clear, the rails aren't for sitting on, etc, and 15 seconds after they turn around the same guests fill in the space and that's probably the easy part of it. That just seems like the one area where I've seen more guests complaining / ignoring / arguing with the CMs than any other place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeetrie View Post
    I don't think I'd want to be a CM at Journey Into Your Imigination. Its a very boring ride. (Not Disney's best effort.) At JIYI, I think I'd feel like I was stuck somewhere where no one really cared about.
    Huh? #1) My kids couldn't go to Epcot without this ride. They love it - I love it. #2) Guaranteed AC. #3) A not so crazy line to deal with. Doesn't sound that bad.

Probably being a CM at AK in Conservation Station. Being completely isolated from the good stuff, burning up hot, and dealing with all the "bad" kids doing bad stuff in the petting zoo. Don't know if that's the worst, but it ranks up there..er..down there.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Gator. I only rode it once. I didn't like it. But as I've said in other posts, if my kids want to ride it, I will.

As far a being a CM there, it wouldnt' be for me. I would like something with a lot of people and lots of interaction. When we rode it, we were the only people in line.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I can easily anwer this one.... A cashier at a counter service on a busy day. I was just recently at the Starlight Cafe, waiting for the person in front of me to decide AT THE REGISTER what to order for his party of 12, I had my "Brooklyn Im gunna kill you" face on , and when it was my turn I was ready to dislike the cashier. SHe smiled at me and asked me "How is your day, may I take your order?" We even joked around a little. So I went to guest services and filled out a compliment card for her and the reason I left was I could never be her and maintain such a good attitude. Kudos and thankyou! She mad my day.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I'd hate to be a CM at the turnstiles for the parks. How absolutely boring must that be?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    Crowd control during the fireworks trying to keep some of the 'taped off' walkways clear. I've watched those poor guys/gals having to go back and forth telling folks that if they want to stand still they need to be across the line of tape otherwise the pathway needs to be clear, the rails aren't for sitting on, etc, and 15 seconds after they turn around the same guests fill in the space and that's probably the easy part of it. That just seems like the one area where I've seen more guests complaining / ignoring / arguing with the CMs than any other place.
    Actually CM's for this area are the same ones that do Parade Audience Control (PAC in Disneyspeak).

You really do get used to doing this work and after awhile rude guests don't get to you anymore, OK maybe on the 4th of July, Christmas and New Years Eve, but once you get used to it it's just part of the job and you just go with the flow and don't take it personal, although a lot of guests do.

PAC & Park Greeter (turnstiles) are a part of Main St. Operations business unit and I can honestly say, had I not gotten hired in to this area I probably would not enjoy my time at WDW nearly as much. For parades you always get a different position every day or night so it's not just the same place, doing the same thing each time.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: