Quantcast Best time to book dinner at O'hana?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best time to book dinner at O'hana?

Does O'hana ever settle down? We've been to the poly and I seen very long lines for check-in before the restaurant even opens. We would like to avoid that line if possible. For those of you who have been, what's the best time to make a reservation for. We like to eat early, but I've read here that the meat gets a little dry and tough later in the night. Is that true?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That mob of people you see up by the check-in stand may actually be two separate things happening:

1) One group of people have standing reservations and are checking-in so the next availalble table appropriate to the size of their party can be theirs.

2) Another group of people are standing on line to get in. These people DO NOT have reservations.

Now, that being said, the group with reservations is still large. Here's what you do: Get the earliest reservation you can. Seat your party down in the adjoining lounge area (Tambu Lounge) by the large windows. Order a drink (virgins for the kids) and send Dad or Mom...drink in hand...to check in...while you wait over in the lounge. He/She will bring back the little buzzer thing, and you will continue to have some time off your feet and have a cold one. It's Disney, you're there with your family...use the time to converse, catchup with the kids...ask them what was their favorite thing so far...what they are excited about...things like that. Why stand when you've been on your feet all day long.

In fact, once you get your buzzer, you could go have a seat downstairs on those big chairs.
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

For the past few years, we've made 5pm ADRs and are at 'Ohana by 4:30pm. The rest of the group hangs out in the lounge area while I wait in the check in line. We are usually seated by 5:15 or so.

I agree that having a cold beverage helps the wait pass a little quicker.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

We have done a 5 pm reservation in the past and loved it. We never waited more than 5 minutes. It was nice and quiet at that time, service was fast. It was wonderful.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

We have had ADRs opening early, late and in between and have never ever been seated on time. That said we like the opening seating as it gives us time to go back to the MK and walk off the seconds we always say we are not going to get.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Try to set your ADR time 15 mins before wishes is scheduled in the MK. Then you will have time to be seated and drinks/food ordered before the lights go down and the music starts. It is one of the highlights of our trip.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say the earlier seatings would be best, the drinks are good though in the lounge

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epceddie View Post
    We like to eat early, but I've read here that the meat gets a little dry and tough later in the night. Is that true?
    I have not found this to be true. We had a late reservation on our last trip and had no problem with the meat. They are constantly grilling. Also, if you are ever unhappy with what they bring (if it is not cooked to your liking or whatever), just let your server know - they will bring a different skewer out. We received this advice from our server there.

Love 'Ohana!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like the later seating better because of the fireworks and the being able to relax and enjoy knowing there probably won't be many people waiting behind you.

But that was before I had small children. I am going to Ohana's this weekend actually, and the only available ressie was at 9:30. I am pretty sure that my 18 month old and my 4 year old will be tired and cranky. But I am going to try to get in a little earlier. I figure I have to wait anyway usually even with ressies, so why not check in a little early and see if we get in a little early.
    șoș Lizzy șoș

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

The best time for an 'Ohana dinner reservation is:

The only time that's available when you go to book the ADR.

Seriously, you might not have much choice in the matter.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    The best time for an 'Ohana dinner reservation is:

The only time that's available when you go to book the ADR.

Seriously, you might not have much choice in the matter.
    This is so funny to me. Very true. I tried booking at 180 days and the earliest they had was 6:30
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerinvestigator View Post
    Try to set your ADR time 15 mins before wishes is scheduled in the MK. Then you will have time to be seated and drinks/food ordered before the lights go down and the music starts. It is one of the highlights of our trip.
    While I agree it's great to be seated in time for Wishes, I would never have my ADR scheduled just 15 minutes prior if I wanted to be seated in time for Wishes. At that time of the evening it's rare that you'll be seated on time, and that close to Wishes many tables are "sitting it out" waiting for Wishes, even if they are done eating.

If I wanted to see Wishes while I ate, I would time my ADR to be at least an hour before Wishes. Even then, there is no way to know if you'll get a window table with a view of Wishes.

What my family prefers is to book an early ADR then watch Wishes from the beach at the Poly after dinner.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the great replies. I think we'll be happy to get a reservation whenever we can, because we've never been and my wife loves the Poly.

Post Thanks / Like

We are a 5:00pm reservation fan too.

We have found that the meat gets drier as the night goes on. At 5:00, the meat is juicy. We have also found that the later your ADR, the longer the wait past your scheduled time. ADRs after 7:30pm can find you waiting 30+ minutes past your seating time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    We are a 5:00pm reservation fan too.

We have found that the meat gets drier as the night goes on. At 5:00, the meat is juicy. .
    I hear people say this over and over, but it's just not possible. They use rather small skewers of meat, and they put new ones on the fire ALL NIGHT LONG. One skewer will serve about 1-2 tables, maximum. It's not like they have an entire cow or pig on a spit and they leave it over the fire all night long and it keeps cooking. The meat being dry or juicy is a factor of two things: the quality of that particular meat on that particular skewer AND the cook at the fire's ability to judge when meat is done.

If you get a skewer that is too dry or too rare for your taste, ask for it cooked differently. They will accommodate your preferences. We always want our pork well done (the drier the better) and our beef medium rare. Never a problem.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

The Tiki gods must be smiling on me. I was able to book O'Hana yesterday for August 10 at 8:25 for 4 of us. I didn't know beforehand that it was hard to get ADR's. The DD's are 18 and 21, so the time is great for us, Wishes is at 10 that night. After reading this, I must have just had am amazing stroke of good fortune! IF (BIG IF) we are seated at 8:25, about how long will it take us to dine? We are average speed eaters. We don't particularly dawdle. If we are not seated by a window, will we be able to exit or move over to a window to see some of Wishes at 10? Thanks!
    All Star Music - August 1997 Won Trip from Pooh's Grand Adventure Friendship Sweepstakes!
    Dixie Landings - July 1999
    All Star Movies - July 2003
    Port Orleans French Quarter - April 2007
    Port Orleans Riverside - August 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post

What my family prefers is to book an early ADR then watch Wishes from the beach at the Poly after dinner.
    This is our plan this year
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I hear people say this over and over, but it's just not possible. They use rather small skewers of meat, and they put new ones on the fire ALL NIGHT LONG. One skewer will serve about 1-2 tables, maximum. It's not like they have an entire cow or pig on a spit and they leave it over the fire all night long and it keeps cooking. The meat being dry or juicy is a factor of two things: the quality of that particular meat on that particular skewer AND the cook at the fire's ability to judge when meat is done.

If you get a skewer that is too dry or too rare for your taste, ask for it cooked differently. They will accommodate your preferences. We always want our pork well done (the drier the better) and our beef medium rare. Never a problem.
    How is it not possible?

The first seating at 1700 hours is when it is easiest to keep track of the meat. As the dinning session progesses, more and more meat is put on the fire. Not only is it harder to track the meat, the fire has to be made bigger to cook more meat. When the fire gets bigger/hotter, the "window" for cooking it gets smaller.

We've dined at Ohanna at least 10 times. The last two at 5:00 pm sitting and the only ones in which our meat was not dried out.

Post Thanks / Like

We have eaten early and late for dinner and have never had a bad meal...I have never tried to get in without a reservation and have never been seated right away with a reservation...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

It just kills me all the work that is involved in making a reservation at somewhere like this. not only do you have to make your res 180 days out but you have to do scientific research on what time you want to aim for. We've already been a handful of times and I am still clueless about so much stuff! everytime one of our friends says they're going to WDW with their kids I demand they consult me first! haha
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: