Quantcast A Day in NYC

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: A Day in NYC

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Day in NYC

Just a very short trip report for people thinking about NYC for the day. It was my son's class trip so I had no control over where we went. I was not chosen to go so a bunch of us "rejected volunteers" got together and made the trip on our own.

We drove from home to the Hamilton train station. The station is very nice and clean. It looked almost new. The round trip ticket was $30 per person. The train was also very nice and clean. It took about an hour to get to our stop at Madison Square Garden. The police in the mall area of the station were very nice and helpful.

We were only a couple of blocks from our first stop were we would meet the class. It was the Madame Trussaud's Wax Musuem. Please note since we were not part of the group we had to buy our own tickets for everything. I was very excited about this place. I paid my $40 to get in and walked around with the kids and the other parents. While the floors were huge, I felt that they weren't filled like I expected. In a nutshell, I was dissappointed and felt it was way overpriced (I know I know it's NYC).

After leaving the wax museum we had two hours before we had to be at the theather. Since we had boys and they didn't want to shop we opted for eating and went to the Hard Rock Cafe. The food was good. I had the Haystack Salad without the chicken and I left happy. We had about an hour before the show so we started to walk in the direction of the theater. We stopped in the M&M store and looked around alittle. For those of you that have never been in one before, it is huge. It has three or four floors with interactive things to do. We had been in the Las Vegas store and really enjoyed it, but we really didn't have time to do alot in the NYC store.

The classes seats for Sister Act (yes we are a Catholic school) were in the balconey and were a little under $40 a piece. The "unwanted parents" got half price tickets that day for $70 a piece and we were 5 rows from the stage! I loved the singing, everyone was so talented! Raven from the Disney channel was the lead actress. She was great but I wasn't really that interested in seeing the show right from the begining. It was fun to do once but I don't know that I will do it again. Oh, BTW, I was really thristy so I had to buy a soda at intermission. For a cup of soda it was $10 plus tip! When the bartender told me I could get a refill for $5 I started to laugh. Sorry Mr. bartender I am too cheap to get a refill.

We had an hour and a half for dinner before the bus was coming to pick up the kids and the "special parents". One of the mothers had made reservations for 50 people at Carmine's
    for dinner. I thought this was going to be a crazy mess. It is a family style restaurant so everyone was going to have to pick out things to share. We got in and it was like a mad house they started seating us in groups. We tried to have a couple of parents at each table . Many parents and their children got separated. We had 4 different tables and they weren't near each other. I was part of the last table to sit down and we had no kids with us. The restaurant was loud and packed. I have to say the food was great and I'm glad we did it. The mother who put it all together deserves a medal. They do have a place in Atlantic City so we will be doing that for dinner again soon.

The kids got back on the bus and we walked back to the train station. Before getting to the station we stopped at "Crumbs" bakery. This is a little "hole in the wall" place that someone told us about. Cupcakes galore. They were filled, big and beautiful!. After much agonizing I purchased a raspberry cream, an oreo, a chocolate brownie, and a turtle. We had them the next night after dinner and they were out of this world. Crumbs Bakery is a must do if you are in NYC. Cupcakes are either $4 or $5 a piece depending on what you get.

All in all the kids had a blast and that's what it was all about. If I had planned the trip we would have been at Ground Zero, the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty. It was a very long day. The kids had to be at the school at 7:00 in the morning and didn't get back until 9:30 at night. Altogether they had 6 hours on the bus! Me, I had to be up at 4:30 in the morning and didn't get home until 10:30 that night, but our dinner and those cupcakes were worth it!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Aw, you rejected volunteers sound like a great group. I love spending time in NYC. We're going for a weekend at the end of May (we park and take the train from New Haven's Union Station, CT). My daughter goes to school in NJ near enough to spend some time in the city and she loves it, too. Her favorites are Shake Shack and Max Brenner (chocolate shop/restaurant, a must for chocoholics).

Forget Disney channel. I'm old school enough to think of Raven as the cute kid from the Cosby Show. I haven't been to the wax museum but I think I will give it a pass. Glad you had a great time!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Love this post-it has me chuckling!

My youngest is in NYC for the day with her high school chorus. I tryed to get to go along but was not in the "select" group either. I thought about taking the train and just tagging along but it didn't work out. They are going to the evening Wicked performance and I couldn't get back to PA tonight without being on the bus-no train service that late to our station.

Glad you had a good time! I love the train!

I am not sure where they are eating lunch but they are going to Ellens Starlight Diner for their evening meal, a Wicked workshop and the show. They were supposed to sing at St. Patricks but that got cancelled because the director couldn't go and he didn't want them singing there without him (diva ). That was one of the main reasons my daughter wanted to go. She has already seen Wicked ( which is certainly worth a second time going) and has eaten at Ellens (also worth going to again).

This trip was paid for 24 months ago by the students and parents and then the plans all fell apart when the bus company closed down and the Wicked tickets didn't work out. No money was lost but the kids had to wait another year.

Hope they have a great day and I am glad you got to go and had fun!
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Her favorites are Shake Shack and Max Brenner (chocolate shop/restaurant, a must for chocoholics).
    Chocolate. Anything that has to do with chocolate and I'm in!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    They were supposed to sing at St. Patricks but that got cancelled because the director couldn't go and he didn't want them singing there without him (diva ).
    That stinks. It is supposed to be about the kids not the adults. He sounds like one of those crazy baseball dads.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    That stinks. It is supposed to be about the kids not the adults. He sounds like one of those crazy baseball dads.
    No kidding! He found out that one of his kids is graduating from college tonight and changed the plans about 6 months ago. The assistant director could have handled it just fine( he is the band director). They should have at least planned another activity since they are in NYC from 9 am until about 11pm. Instead of leaving that time "open " on the schedule. Shopping may be an option for the kids with parents going but I wasn't going to send a credit card with my 17 year old! We just got back from WDW and I know what damage she can do!!

Wishes!

Post Thanks / Like

That was an issue I had too. My son wasn't getting a credit card and I thought is was dangerous for a 14 year old to pull a wad of money out of his pocket everytime he needed to pay for something. Food is expensive in NYC and it's not like you can send $50 and be done with it.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rita! Great trip report! I almost missed it with it being Derby time here at home! First thing I have to say is kudo's to you "Special Parents"! My DS's also went to Catholic school & you had to be chosen to go on field trips, and when it came time for their 8th grade trip to DC, parents weren't even allowed! That was pretty tough for me, to allow my guys to fly without me, then tour DC for several days & they weren't allowed to take their cell phones! So to you guys for that extra effort to be part of your kids trip experience!

Loved your trip report, but I have to agree with you, it seems that a school trip to NY would have focused on those landmarks rather than a show & dining! But it sounds like it all worked out & a good time was had by all. I will be keeping a lookout for the places you mentioned when we're there next month!

Thanks for the report!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shari! I can't stress this enough, make sure you go to Crumbs Bakery. There were two locations in the Times Square area (I was told). The one we went to was across the street from our theater. If I can find a receipt I will post the address.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Rita, It's on my list of "What to look for" for sure now! Sounds scrumpdillicious! If you find the location that would be awesome, if not I'll just do a search! No worries, my DH has a voracious sweet tooth! I'm not so much on sweets - but my guys would love it!

Thanks!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

stephanie and I will be in NYC for a day trip in 10 days -chocolate and cupcakes and burgers..... Carb overload for the day! May have to try all these places.

Wishes!

Post Thanks / Like

261 West 42nd Street
    NY, NY 10036
    212-938-0406

They have a web site you can look at.

OK went on web site they are actually a chain and they ship!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Thanks Rita, I checked it out & it's just a few doors up from the Port Authority bus terminal. That's where we'll be arriving & departing from on a daily basis, as we're staying in NJ. Wow, what a stroke of luck! I have it in my notes & a visit there is on our to do list. I checked their hours - gosh, I can't believe they're open til midnight! And I checked out their selections! Oh my, I don't know how we'll ever choose! My guys will be in sugar heaven! I'm not a big sweet eater, but - wow, the red velvet, the peanut butter cup, the black bottom cheesecake, oh yeah no way am I getting out of there without one for me! And oh my gosh - those Colossal Cupcakes! OMG! $42.00 cupcake! Wow - just wow - it serves 6 - 8! I can see my DS's wanting one of these shipped to serve as their birthday cakes! lol

Thanks a bunch for the "Sweet" tip!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Funny that I spotted this trip report today, as DD and I are heading to the bus station in a few minutes for a pre-Mother's Day day trip to NYC. We're going to attempt the subway so we can go to the Museum of Natural History. Wish us luck

I will second the Shake Shack! We were at the one near Port Authority last trip in, and I discovered there's one near the museum, too!

I agree that a NYC trip would be more sights oriented, but it sounds like everyone had a blast regardless!

And I, too, remember Raven from the Cosby Show--she was such a cute little kid!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Christi I hope you are having a great time! It is such a nice day. Great weather for walking around the city!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Christi I hope you are having a great time! It is such a nice day. Great weather for walking around the city!
    We had a wonderful day, Rita, thanks!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great report to read, especially since we are going to NYC in August for 5 days. Just want to say "hats off" to the "rejected volunteers" for coming up with your own plan! I will definitely look to do that when my DD goes on a field trip.

I think I would opt for the museum versus the show. I mean $10 for a cup of soda. And still have to tip. I've also been to that M&M store in Vegas, and look forward to revisiting it as well in NYC.

Crumbs bakery sounds like a great place to stock some imports is that the one located on West 42nd Street.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that was the adress on my receipt.

I wish that we had more time to explore the M & M Store but we went with the sit down lunch at the Hard Rock so that didn't leave us with a whole lot of time. Most people either packed lunch or skipped all together and went shopping.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Christi, Hope you had an extra special Mother's Day! I'm curious to know if you took the subway to the museum? This is our plan for next month & I'm just curious about your experience. Thanks & Happy Mother's Day!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: