Quantcast AKL without Savannah View... Will we still enjoy the resort?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AKL without Savannah View... Will we still enjoy the resort?

We are in the "maybe we'll go back this year" stages of planning a trip. Before I contact MJ, I want to narrow down our resort choice. We usually stay in Moderate resorts. However, during our last trip, DH really enjoyed visiting the AKL and said that he'd like to stay there for our next trip. I do not think he will want to pay for a Savannah View room. (The first time we tried to book a vacation, I wanted to go Savannah view, and he couldn't justify the cost.) Are there enough viewing areas and amenities to justify staying here without a Savannah view?

Also, we were a little concerned about staying here after it took us an hour to get to the MK from AKL for dinner. How is the bus service here?

Thanks, all!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I really think you will. There are so many viewing areas throughout the hotel that you should still see plenty of animals. I loved our stay there! I don't remember the bus being an issue for us at all. The lobby is fabulous, and I really enjoyed the feel of the rooms. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

We had a car when we stayed at AKL so I can't comment on the buses, but I do think it's worth it to stay without a savannah view. Even though we had the savannah view we still liked using the common viewing areas to see other animals. The resort is gorgeous and the Kidani pool is one of our favorites.. We liked walking around just checking out the grounds and the rocking chairs around the fire pit at night are a great spot.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed in Jambo House with a pool view. We saw the animals from several vantage points, as well as Arusha Rock. We spent several hours watching the animals and couldn't have been happier. I was glad to be close to the pool for late night trips to soak my tired feet after a long day.

Personally, when I wake up in the morning, I don't want to see anyone right outside my window...including a giraffe!
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think you will love it... the resort is SO much more than the animals. We have stayed both Savannah and pool view, and loved both -- although I can honestly tell you I think we enjoyed the pool view more. My girls of course liked the animals better, but my DH and I really loved the pool view... we were on the Zebra trail, on the 4th floor up in the trees... it was like being in a treehouse. Just lovely! So I would definitely go for it...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

They have expanded the savannahs so much that the whole place is a viewing area! It's a great resort!
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed 3 times at Jambo and 1 time at Kidani and have never done the Savannah view.

At Jambo we usually book the pool view. It is close to everything. There are plenty of opportunities to view the animals from the designated viewing areas and there are large windows along the resort halls that provide additional vantage points.

We did a standard view at Kidani and never felt we were lacking animal views. Other than in our room, we were constantly seeing animals throughout the resort.

We always have a car at AKL so I can't help with your bus question.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

While I'm sure the view of the animals would be amazing, I'm guessing that the theming, the pool, the (non-room) viewing areas, the restaurants, and all of the activities will make it worth every penny to stay at this amazing resort.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Just back from 5 nights at AKL Jambo House and there are so many opportunities to see the animals I don't think a savannah view is necessary.

As for the buses we only had a problem one day with the buses. It was to Studios and we had just missed one and it took about 25 mins for the next one to come. Other than that I don't the we waited more than 10 mins for a bus.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

One of our favorite resorts. We booked a pool view once and standard the next. We were given a savannah view once due to the fact there was a pole obstructing the view. Not a problem for us but at the cost of a savannah view they don't use them as one.You can always ask when checking in if they have one available. The bussing was much better than a moderate to us. There is so much to do at this resort.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

i have never stayed at the lodge. however i have gone there many times and i can say i love visiting so i would bet you would love to stay there as well.
    as far as transportion, i think it depends on when you head out. LIke any resort, sometimes the buses are awesome, and sometimes it seems to take forever.

have a great trip.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

without a savannah view room, AKL becomes very much like WL...which is still a great place to stay! the animal view is great, but not a deal breaker when it comes to staying there.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

If you are used to staying in moderate resorts then I think any view at AKL would be very enjoyable. Nothing wrong with the mods, we stay at them often too, but at AKL you get a full "experience" from this resort, any of the deluxe resorts really.

We have stayed at Jambo in a pool view room, and a savannah view room (and are staying in a savannah view room at Kidani for one night soon). Without a doubt we enjoyed the savannah view room so much more, but both stays were great. My youngest son is a huge animal lover, and he was completely captivated by our balcony. He literally could have spent hours there just looking at the view, and searching for animals. It was a very special experience for him. Now that we've experienced both I don't think we would want to stay without the savannah view. Like someone else already mentioned without that view it feels very much like WL. We actually prefer WL over AKL and we definitely like the location of WL over AKL. So without the view we'd probably opt for WL. Since you haven't experienced staying there yet I think you'll enjoy your stay even without a Savannah view.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Both our stays at AKL were pool view rooms. Loved it. And plenty of areas to view the animals. No worries there. DH couldn't justify the extra $$$ for a savannah view which was fine with me. Love the resort. You will enjoy!!
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Book a pool or standard room...you'll still see plenty of animals from all of the viewing areas...and make sure you go outside to the viewing area after dark...the CM's will let you use night viewing binoculars which are very cool!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not".

Dr. Seuss - The Lorax

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice! I think that I will request a quote for a standard view and go from there.

-Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

We also are moderate resort (POFQ) folks that took a step up last time to AKL. We had a pool view and were on the second floor. Definitely no complaints that way. It was beautiful view off our balcony, less than a 30 second walk to the hot tub, pool, food court and bus stop. Was a perfect spot!

The only thing I missed (and this is just a personal thing) was that when you left the room you were in a hallway, not outdoors and I found the CMs to be a bit unfriendly compared to the FQ and Riverside.

Still really enjoyed it and might do it again on the right deal.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at both a Savannah view and a pool view at Jambo House. I would not book a pool view again but this is just our personal preference. There was way too much noise with the PA system going all afternoon. We like to relax on the balcony in the afternoon and we couldn't really enjoy it. (I don't book a courtyard view at the WL for the same reason.) The Savannah view is so quiet and peaceful.

Post Thanks / Like

both times i stayed at AKL had parking lot view
    actually the first time i remember ants in the sick. and it is on the outskirts of dis sorta..right by AK. DD is the furthest.
    the gift shop is very nice. Boma was ok, but not as good last time. Jiko was good first time..
    Im actually thinking of staying here in a few wks..but only if i can get pool, savannah or Kidani
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I stayed in a Kidani Village Savannah view studio in February. We saw gazelles and giraffes and one night coming back from dinner, we went out on the balcony and were delighted to find three zebra grazing away.
    Seeing the animals was great. It was like living in a zoo, but the resort has a lot of great viewing areas and our stay on the savannah was probably a once-in-a-lifetime thing. We had to use a lot of our DVC points, but it was a wonderful stay and we have lots of great photos to remember it by.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: