Quantcast xPass (Or whatever it will be called ) Testing In May

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default xPass (Or whatever it will be called ) Testing In May

RFID/NextGen FP machines are currently being installed at Space Mountain... They will appear at Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, PhilharMagic, and Haunted Mansion, if they haven't already... The machines are about 4 feet tall and are scanners... These machines will be located at the FP entrance where the CM takes your FP ticket...

I'm not sure how the testing will be handled, but Jim hill (yes, that Jim Hill) and Stitch Kingdom say Disney will select people via email (I'm assuming those who are booked to vacation during May 1 - May 15th) to test out the xPass/NextGen system... you'll be able to plan every minute of your itinerary and will receive a FP/xPass card... And then, let the testing begin...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen the official advisory to CMs as well as the list of questions/answers to prep CMs for guests reactions (it's quite lengthy - 15 questions - most advisories only have 3 or 4 Q/A).

This test will begin on May 1.

Jim hill (yes, that Jim Hill) and Stitch Kingdom say Disney will select people via email (I'm assuming those who are booked to vacation during May 1 - May 15th) to test out the xPass/NextGen system... you'll be able to plan every minute of your itinerary and will receive a FP/xPass card...
    This isn't exactly the way I read the advisory. The way I read it, guests have probably been identified as possibile participants and will be asked if they'd like to participate upon their arrival. Email only comes into the picture because Disney will be sending an email confirmation to the guest (but the guest does not need to have access to email while at Disney). When the guest registers for the trial, it appears they get to select the attractions and time frame they'd prefer. They will then be issued a FastPass card (which has an RFID chip). The confirmation email will notify the guest of the attractions and FastPass return times that have been assigned. This information can also be obtained by using the FastPass card at one of the new FastPass machines or from City Hall.

It doesn't appear that any of the existing FastPass rules change - just the medium of the FastPass itself and the method of distributing them. And, of course, the method of letting you into the FastPass line.

To me, and granted the only info I have is from the CM advisory, it seems like they're testing the RFID technology to determine the feasibility of using it to replace (augment?) the paper FastPass system. It doesn't sound like the idea is to have guests plan every minute of their trip 180 days out.

Personally, I think I'd enjoy being able to get to a park, go up to a kiosk, select 3 or 4attractions and rough time frames I'd like and receive a card with those FastPasses on it. Even better if I can do this at my resort before I even get to the park. The only real difference between that and the existing system is the medium (plastic vs. paper) and not having to go to each location to get a FastPass.

While Disney has done some pretty stupid things lately IMHO, I'm going to remain optimistic on this one that Disney will maintain the overall structure, rules and limits of the FastPass system, as they attempt to give guests a better experience.

And BTW, the advisory says more than once:

We often test systems or technologies in our parks as part of our ongoing innovation process to make the entire Guest experience even better. The actual configuration we are testing may or may not end up in our parks.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Steve... That's why I made sure to preface it by saying what their sites said, not what I heard since I didn't even hear about the testing... I'm really interested to see how this works out...

Is the machine truly a scanner of some sort or does the guest use the new RFID/Fastpass card to generate a paper fast pass???

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know for sure. in one of the answers to potential guest questions, they reference the RFID scanners as similar to the ones they tested at Epcot a while back. The Fast Passes are on the card, so I suspect the new machines are scanners, and read the info on the card -possibly opening a turnstile to allow access to the FastPass line? But again, I don't really know.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

The information for CMs on the Portal is still a bit unclear about how the new FastPass card is to be used to access the attraction. Here is what is clear, at least to me:

> Guests will be selected to participate in the test before their arrival at WDW. They will be able to create an itinerary of MK FastPass attractions and desired ride times. They will receive an email confirmation and a special FP card (plastic with the RFID chip).

> Once in the MK park guests will use their FP card to access the rides WITHIN THEIR WINDOW.

> If guests want to review their itinerary while in the park they can do so at Guest Relations or at the card reader machines located at FP distribution for: The Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, Mickey’s PhilharMagic and Stitch’s Great Escape. This is where the RFID chip comes in.

So far I have seen nothing about a separate turnstile or FP reader at the attraction entrances. So I'm guessing that the special FP card is to be used in the existing FP machines to produce a standard FP ticket which will be valid immediately. That system already exists for holders of DVC complementary cards.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

I think this sounds promising, I'll wait and see before making a judgment
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for chipping in guys... I'm really interested to see how this all plays out and how it fits into the final product... This system would be perfect if they have a centralized place for the FP machines instead of at each individual ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting, as long as they limit the amount of advanced FPs that people can get in each park, per day.

Its hard enough trying to score some FPs for high frequency rides the day of, let alone if people can tie up time blocks days / weeks in advance...
    --Heff

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by shadowden View Post
    Sounds interesting, as long as they limit the amount of advanced FPs that people can get in each park, per day.

Its hard enough trying to score some FPs for high frequency rides the day of, let alone if people can tie up time blocks days / weeks in advance...
    I'm actually fine as long as they come out of the existing block of FP's and aren't some additional, above-and-beyond block of reservations that will further drive stand-by wait times through the roof.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm actually fine as long as they come out of the existing block of FP's and aren't some additional, above-and-beyond block of reservations that will further drive stand-by wait times through the roof.
    Exactly. If it's just another (hopefully better) way of implementing the same basic system we have today, it's not a big deal and could just be considered as a refurb of FastPass.

The information for CMs on the Portal is still a bit unclear about how the new FastPass card is to be used to access the attraction.
    True, it is a bit sketchy, but there are a number of clues. Why install new RFID scanners at the FastPass entrances and use RFID in the cards if they're only going to use the cards to generate paper FastPasses. That doesn't seem logical to me. To me, it seems much more likely that they're testing how well the scanners pick up the RFID info in the card. Plus the indication is that the card replaces the paper FastPass, and isn't just another way to get a paper one.

But again, you never really know.

Steve

Most Recent Visit:
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fangorn View Post

True, it is a bit sketchy, but there are a number of clues. Why install new RFID scanners at the FastPass entrances and use RFID in the cards if they're only going to use the cards to generate paper FastPasses.

Steve
    I guess I agree, but I'm wondering exactly where these scanners are being placed and what they will do when a card is "read". If they are installed at the FP Return entrance and somehow signal that a valid card has been presented, then that's fine. But if the card is invalid (outside the window?) then the scanner is going to have to display the reason why.

My attraction is not involved in all this yet, but I'm picturing myself at the FastPass Return position and guests are coming at me - some with cards and some with paper FastPasses. If any are invalid the guests immediately want to know why. This could get complicated.

I'm working Wednesday so I'll try to get more info.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

I find this very interesting and not quite as bad as it first sounded. Do you think they plan to offer this to people who stay on property and buy the Magic Your Way packages? That would limit the number of people who could use the advance system.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We are going June 2nd, I wish they would test then and I could volunteer to be part of the testing. I'd love to try it out. I'm one that isn't a fan of planning 180 days out or even a few weeks out for rides. But selecting this at the parks wouldn't be bad.
    Alice
    Disney Junkie and vacation planner
    10 trips and counting
    Next up June '14 very quick trip :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    > If guests want to review their itinerary while in the park they can do so at Guest Relations or at the card reader machines located at FP distribution for: The Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, Mickey’s PhilharMagic and Stitch’s Great Escape
    Hoping that if this goes through, that list will be expanded so people aren't hovering over those few machines trying to figure out their "itineraries." (Yuck -- hate using that word when talking about riding rides.)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowden View Post

I agree -- limit the number of FPs per guest and the total number of advanced FPs distributed per day so there will still be plenty of FPs for people who want to get them same day.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone already been selected? Would love to hear first hand how it goes!
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

A couple silly question about the RFID xPass cards....

If the FastPass (xPass) times are coded on the card, what happens if you forget your assigned xPass time(s) and don't get to the FastPass machine to get your FastPass within your window?

OR

If the xPass RFID card IS your FastPass, will they be stamped with your rides and times?
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    A couple silly question about the RFID xPass cards....

If the FastPass (xPass) times are coded on the card, what happens if you forget your assigned xPass time(s) and don't get to the FastPass machine to get your FastPass within your window?

OR

If the xPass RFID card IS your FastPass, will they be stamped with your rides and times?
    Again, I have no specific knowledge of how this will work, but I suspect that:

1) the same thing will happen that happens now if you lose your FP - you're out of luck. Now, with this system there does appear to at least be the possibility of replacing the card if you lose it since they will have a complete record of your "itinerary".

2) the information so far seems to indicate that the card will NOT have the rides/times stamped on it. That's the point of the email and your ability to read the card at those kiosks.

Steve

Most Recent Visit:
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Hoping that if this goes through, that list will be expanded so people aren't hovering over those few machines trying to figure out their "itineraries." (Yuck -- hate using that word when talking about riding rides.)
    Would be nice if they tied it into the Mobile Magic app...
    --Heff

Post Thanks / Like

We were selected to participate in the testing. They were asking for volunteers at the Magical Express counter when we arrived at MCO. We were asked which day we plan to be in MK and were then given a list of participating fp attractions. We were to pick 4 from the list. We got one card per person and the return window for each attraction is emailed. We'll use the fastpasses in the MK Friday so we'll see how it goes.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

DisneyDoll -

Great! Now we'll have some real data/experiences to work with. I'm looking forward to your report. Thanks.

Steve

Most Recent Visit:
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: