Quantcast Is This Even Possible Anymore?....

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is This Even Possible Anymore?....

Was having a CalgonTakeMeAway moment while ago, and was just trying to picture myself in two weeks gone and soaking up some Magic. 'Back in the Day' when I was a tiny child , before online reservations and such , adventurous travelers just got in the car and went places, then found a hotel room somewhere when they go to their destination. Is it possible to get a room at any Disney resort if one just impulsively gets in the car and heads over? Does that ever work, or are the hotels always booked to capacity?....
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

I think that would be hard to answer. It would depend on the time of year etc. However, with all the hotels in the area, I'm sure you could find something even if it's not on property. However, doing your homework, and planning ahead usually get you the best prices and the best location. It's kind of like trying to walk up and get ressies the same day for a restaurant in one of the parks.

So yes, you might be able to but maybe not where you want or for the price you want.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAYROLL PRINCESS View Post
    So yes, you might be able to but maybe not where you want or for the price you want.
    Oh, I think that would definitely be true. I just wondered if anyone's ever done that and successfully got a room onsite?...Nice to fantasize about--just take off and go.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

You can definitely do it, but as noted, the price would be high. Resorts are only at 100% capacity maybe one or two weeks per year. But just picking up and going to stay onsite you'd probably have to pay full rack rate.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Well, no not really. You can't just show up and ask if there is a room available. You would still be directed to call the central reservations line and then THEY will tell you where you can go with an available room.

And then, you're paying rack rate.

It can be done, just not so "on a whim" as you describe. Although, if you are just talking about finding a hotel room in Orlando on any given day, that would not be hard at all.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Well, no not really. You can't just show up and ask if there is a room available. You would still be directed to call the central reservations line and then THEY will tell you where you can go with an available room.
    Definitely not true. I walked up and got a room at All Stars once without calling. Just went to the front desk, told them I had arrived a day early unplanned, they took my credit card and driver's license, and gave me a room key.

FWIW I've never seen that sign as you exit Magic Kingdom when it didn't say "Resort Rooms Available."

Go for it!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    You would still be directed to call the central reservations line ...
    ... and to add to Ian's post, even if there is no availability at that particular resort, the CM at check in will make the call for you.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I think the key to planning and booking ahead for us is saving hundreds of dollars. I can't imagine driving up to AKL and just asking for whatever room they have available! It would cost a fortune. Not to mention alot of people would miss out on the free dining promo.

It would be fun to jump in the car and just be spontaneous (my dad did that in the 70's and got the penthouse suite at the Contemporary for about $75 a night...that will never happen again), but in this day and age it pays big time to plan ahead! I guess if money is no object then go for it
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

My parents did something similar once back in the 80's. We were staying just outside of Disney World and my father was not happy with the hotel so while were visiting the Contemporary my father told my mother to call reservations and see if there was a room available anywhere. My mom went to the lobby and called and she was able to get us a garden wing room at the Contemporary for the rest of our trip. That was the first time we stayed at a Disney resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Like a pp mentioned, it depends on when you want to go.

I've mentioned this story before, but in Sep '05, DH and I were driving from NJ (actually, DH was riding his motorcycle and I followed behind in my beloved Jetta TDI that I just sold a week ago ). I actually had my own bike, but I was an inexperienced rider, so I thought that a 2500 mile trip was a bit too ambitious for me. Anyway, we knew where we wanted to stay, but we didn't want to lock ourselves into an arrival date, so we didn't book our room. I checked the WDW Websites up to the day we left and I knew that there were plenty of rooms available.

So when we were nearing FL, I called the WDW reservation number and booked room at WL for that night. Standard view, rack rate, but our room was #2125, which is one of the handicapped rooms off the lobby that overlook the courtyard. We loved the room and had a great time.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it really depends on when you go. Our last trip we were going to drive part of the way and spend the night on the road and get up early and drive in. As we got closer to Orlando we stopped at several hotels at several exits and nothing. Gator Nationals in town (drag racing). We then figured we would just go on to Disney. I started calling to get reservations that night and Disney was booked. I even called the hotels in Lake Buena Vista and they were booked. Called several of the larger chain hotels in Orlando and they were booked. finally found a hotel at the turn pike. Not the best hotel but oh well. We had a place to stay. I will never try that again. It was very stressful!
    Scrappy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you drive up without a reservation?

Reading this thread made me think to ask is it possible to just drive over to Pop Century for instance when you have no prior reservation? I'm asking because when I drove there before I of course had already made reservations and when I got there a guy at the gate asked my name and gave me a parking pass to put in the window of my car. I was thinking if I just drove up with nothing he might tell me I can't go in there or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acetate View Post
    Reading this thread made me think to ask is it possible to just drive over to Pop Century for instance when you have no prior reservation? I'm asking because when I drove there before I of course had already made reservations and when I got there a guy at the gate asked my name and gave me a parking pass to put in the window of my car. I was thinking if I just drove up with nothing he might tell me I can't go in there or something.
    Just tell him or her why you're there. You'll probably still have to show ID but they should let you in.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acetate View Post
    I was thinking if I just drove up with nothing he might tell me I can't go in there or something.
    Just tell them you want to spend money at the resort... they'll let you in.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can!! I just did it during Spring Break. I stayed at the Movies for 3 nights and decided to stay one more night. I called all the off property hotels I could think of that were in my price range and close to Disney property (I was traveling alone with my DS). And they were all booked to capacity. I said let me just try on property and the first place I called was Pop. They had plenty of rooms open. Mind you this was at 1:00AM (we hit the parks all day and figured how hard would it be to grab a room off property for one night) well Thank God Pop was available. I felt very safe all week staying alone with my DS on property and would do it all over again....
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think this would be fun. If I didn't live so far away, I would try it. We are an adventurous type of family though. We wouldn't have a set resort in mind or any must do things. Although we do plan out our annual vacation, on small trips around here we will just up and go.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
    Yes you can!! I just did it during Spring Break. I stayed at the Movies for 3 nights and decided to stay one more night. I called all the off property hotels I could think of that were in my price range and close to Disney property (I was traveling alone with my DS). And they were all booked to capacity. I said let me just try on property and the first place I called was Pop. They had plenty of rooms open. Mind you this was at 1:00AM (we hit the parks all day and figured how hard would it be to grab a room off property for one night) well Thank God Pop was available. I felt very safe all week staying alone with my DS on property and would do it all over again....
    Now, this we actually have been able to do. DH got sick on our 30th anniversary trip. We'd gotten a great deal at GF--plus a fantastic upgrade to a lobby room, and we spent most of the time in the room. I was upset the last day, and the concierge, who had been wonderful to us, said that we could stay two more days, with the same great rate, in the same room if we wanted to! Unfortunately my DH just wanted to get home.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P