Quantcast Tough Times

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough Times

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough Times

Everybody has their own problems in life, this is true. We all go through pain, suffering, and loss. I guess this is what it's like getting older. But right now I could use a little love.

Things have been a little rough for us over the last year and half. I am in a not-so-well paying job that I don't particularly love, but I'm losing it in June because we are closing. So it's a blessing to be free, but scary to be back looking for employment.

Over a year ago, we lost DH's father suddenly of what was likely a heart attack (No autopsy). He was 54. DH's mom has had a tough time battling depression, having panic attacks and such. Turns out there is actual a small issue with her heart, and she's having surgery today. (My husband is awful with remembering these things, so I'm not sure what the procedure actually is). She is supposed to come home today, though, so we hope for a speedy recovery. She just lost her father a month ago (DH's only remaining grandparent). It was tough but he had been unhealthy and in hospice care a while. We also lost my Great Aunt Helen, a wonderful woman who had also been sick for some time.

Now, my 91 year old grandfather(My hero, and my last remaining grandparent) looks to be at the end of his life's journey. Up until December he was pretty darn good. He lived independently, with daily visits from his kids and grandkids just to check up. He had all of his faculties about him, I even did an extended oral history on him over last summer for my graduate course. He's a depression kid, WWII Vet, worked hard all his life-a true definition of the Greatest Generation. His only issue was his spinal stenosis. Over time, he lost his ability to walk, and he could just never come to terms with this. He always tried to do too much. His last fall placed him in the hospital, This started a game of volleyball between a local rehab/nursing home and the hospital. He got a cold that wouldn't go away, then started developing aspirational pneumonia. Overall I am appalled by most of the treatment he recieved at that home, but that's for another day. He developed a gall bladder infection, infection from his foley not being correct, and development of the aspirational pneumonia again. Eventually, on Easter Sunday, the Catholic nursing home sent him back to his house after 4 months of the bouncing around. Each time he's gotten increasingly agitated, frustrated, miserable as you can imagine.
    Even though the family hired a lot of help from various agencies, it was rough, and it appeared that he had developed the aspirational pneumonia again. Only this time he refused to go back to the hospital.

Long story short he has now been accepted into a newer, beautiful place to be cared for, and it seems like this is the end. He has now slept for 3 days and is being made comfortable. He is not eating or drinking but from what the nurses were saying, they have seen worse people wake up from this, or they have seen people go as long as 2 weeks before they pass.
    I just need some prayers to make sure he is peaceful. He always said "Que Sera, sera. Whatever will be will be." But I just prayer that he doesn't remain trapped in this state for too long. He has a living will, no feeding tube, DNR etc. He does not want to live that way. Incidentally, today is the 10th anniversary of his beloved wife's passing. Grammom had Alzheimer's and we went through a long difficult drawn out time with her. I am hoping he can finally go home to her soon and be at peace.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Our prayers go out to you and your family Maryanne, I hope everything goes the best that it can. I was the youngest of 5 children in my family so I lost all my grandparents at an early age and also my father to a heartattack so I kinda know how you feel and I know it's not a good feeling. I have my own family now and I and I hope to break the trend and be around to see my grandkids grow up.

Best wishes, Troy
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm praying for his pain and your family's as well, he sounds like a terrific, strong man. I wish him the very best, in all aspects.
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

Sending you some My mother passed in Sept, in the end she pretty much just slept constantly. The family and the visiting hospice nurses kept her comfortable for 6 days. It was a blessing when she finally passed.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this and for everything else you've gone through the last year and a half. Sending lots of prayers, good thoughts, and to help you through this difficult time. I hope for peace for your grandfather and for you.
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

You are in my prayers. I'm so sorry for what you are going through.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot to be dealing with at one time, Maryanne. My prayers are with you and your family, and especially your grandfather.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Maryanne, big hugs for you! I know how much your grandfather means to you, as mine does to me. And to have had so much loss recently makes it maybe that much harder to lose someone else dear to you. I'm so sorry. I wish him peace and comfort and I wish you love and peace, too.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you're going through so many losses. I'm not surprised at all that you're feeling a sort of snowball effect. It sounds like your grandfather has made the decision that it might be his time to go. I had a similar experience with my Great Aunt Be, who was 93 at the time. She had taken care of everyone else throughout her life, including her roommate at the nursing home who had passed away the month before. We let her know that she didn't have to stay for us any longer and that she deserved to go be with God and her family. A week later she died peacefully. It seemed like she needed that permission to cease being the caretaker of everyone else before she would go.

I am so happy for you that you were able to record your grandfather's history. What a gift! His legacy can live on for generations because of your efforts. I know he knows how much you love him, Maryann. I pray that he is in peace as he goes through this final transition.

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I lost my father a little over three and half years ago at just 64 and there's not a day that goes by that I don't miss him and wish that he was here and we could share just one more day together. I know these are just words, but they're heartfelt and I wish the best for you and your family and you're in our prayers. Just know God has a plan for each and every one of us!
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

Sending you an internet hug and some real prayers.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Maryanne, so sorry that you and your DH are going through all of this. You're in my prayers and also sending
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Maryanne, getting to know you here on Intercot as a wonderful young woman who is intelligent, kind, thoughtful, open and most of all loving, my heart is hurting for you. When you lose someone you love so much it just plain stinks. My prayers and thoughts are with you now along with many
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry. I hope you can take some comfort in your wonderful memories of him from throughout your life.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for all that you've had to deal with recently. Sending you thoughts and prayers.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your prayers and words of support. DH's mom is doing well after her procedure. Pop is still hanging on. I feel as though he knows someone still needs to see him... He had not opened his eyes in 3 days. He looked worse today and has a fever again. He is in "Good shepherd" hospice and tomorrow is good shepherd Sunday. We were at a vigil mass tonight in honor of the 10th anniversary of gram's passing. I'm not going to lie, even though I know he is going to a better place and will be at peace I am very distraught. It is hard to have it so drawn out. Each day I break a little more. This will be the toughest loss of all this far in my life. Please keep the prayers coming.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of everything that is happening in your life at the moment. Sometimes it feels like everything is going wrong and that you will never feel happy again, but time will heal as they say. Your Grandfather will be in no pain at the moment and I am sure he is now getting the excellent care that he truly deserves.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Angie.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

It always amazes me how these things happen in groups like this. It really is true that when it rains, it pours.

Thoughts are with you and DH, Maryanne.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Maryanne, you have my prayers.

I am not one to post personal things on the general board. I usually just mention it in the moderator forum, since I'll be away from my forums. I'm not a big fan of sharing personal things with tons of people. Just how I am. However, I will share some info now so you know you aren't alone and will get through this.

July 2010 my father passed away from cancer. That in itself would be enough for most to deal with, but God wasn't done with our family. Spring Break 2011, my cousin Molly died of alcohol poisoning on Spring Break from college. A couple months later, another cousin who was a lawyer in Atlanta committed suicide. Then, in early January of this year, my cousin Debbie and her husband, were shot and killed in their home in the community they lived in Tampa.

All of these events have been hard to deal with, but you find you have inner strength you never knew you had. I'll be honest, I've changed. I'm definitely a "tougher" person. Also, as 2 of these deaths actually made it onto some national news outlets, people who work with me found out a lot about my family and some treat me differently as they mistakenly think I'm wealthy and are pretty distant toward me, feeling I'm taking the job of someone who needs it . You learn to adjust and find out who really knows you.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I'm not going to lie, even though I know he is going to a better place and will be at peace I am very distraught. It is hard to have it so drawn out. Each day I break a little more. This will be the toughest loss of all this far in my life. Please keep the prayers coming.
    When my Dad passed, the drawn out process was the toughest part. You have to let him know it is okay to let go.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Christine thank you for sharing. What an awful thig to go through. I understand holding back personal stuff and I have not been posting as much of that kind of personal info like I used to.

This level of loss is a tough -and new for me. Even though i've lost other granparents I think it's the combo of the age i'm at now and the importance he had to the family I am a very sentimental person, and with the loss of him I also feel like a loss of my childhood in a way and a true end the to old order of things. Even though his legs had been breaking down he was still the patriarch, the focal point of the family. I know he is leaving his body but will be with me spiritual. I know this because I truly believe I have been visited spiritually already by my previous grandfather that passed and gram at various points. He knows it's ok. Every person who had visited had said goodbye, has whispered in his ear that it's ok. I've played and sang music softly in his ear that he loved like que sera sera, beyond the sea etc which take on whole new meanings now. If he can hear us, he knows it's ok to let go. That's why spiritually I think he must still be fighting because somebody else needs to see. This morning his pulse was still strong and his fever dropped. My mom spent the night so he wouldnt be alone. She is a saint. I need to deal with my own sense of loss but I know I need to be there for my parents.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: