Quantcast Do you drive to WDW? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We drive every time! We are coming from Toronto- so it's about 22-24 hours depending on traffic. We know the good ol' I-75 really well now and wouldn't even consider flying. Getting there is half the fun for us!! Of course, the trip home is never as fun...
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Up to this point we have drove @ 12 to 13 hours. We usually come back all in one day; but in recent trips have broken up the trip into 1 1/2 days. If we get to go in October of this year we plan to fly for the first time. Changing things up a little.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We are just north of Charlotte, NC, so it's roughly 8 hours from here. Since we don't want to be completely exhausted when we get there, we head out the day before our check-in, drive 4 or so hours and stay in Savannah, GA. We get up the next morning and then drive the last leg of 4 hours or so and are fresh and ready to hit the parks when we get there. Now, on the way home, we drive straight through! This June will be my DS's first trip and he will be 23 months old! He's not the best car rider, so it should be interesting!

Post Thanks / Like

We've driven - ~25 hours each way. We like having our own vehicle and the freedom to pack whatever we like. We've also had the luxury of time on our side. As our children get older and can't miss as much school, we'll probably have to start flying.

Post Thanks / Like

WE have driven down for every trip except one...we flew in for our 25th anniversary...the drive form here is about 10 and 1/2 hours....driving roughly five to seven mph over the posted speed limit.

For our family the drive is no longer any big deal (I guess once you've driven from East Tenn straight through to Montana and Idaho a few times, ten to twelve hours to WDW just doesn't seem all that daunting). We leave the night before and plan things out to arrive around 7:30-8:00 in the morning. About half the time our room will be available. We usually go to a water park on arrival day, where I (DD) will ride a few slides and then take a snooze by the wave pool or on a tube in the lazy river. It works well for us.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

We have flown for most of our trips. We were in MI during the earlier years and it was just me and my DD and flights were cheap then.

In 2010, we flew in May. Again, cheap rates for us. But we drove in Dec and I loved it. I like being able to bring whatever I like regardless of space. It made more sense for us to drive then too because we did have to pack for winter gear (it was needed too) and then I like to bring breakfast items, snacks and bottled water and sodas. It was a nice trip and will miss doing it that way once we head back North!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

We have driven from NJ before so we probably had an additional 3 hours more driving time than you. We didn't mind driving. My only problem with us driving is that we loose 4 days of park time. If time wasn't an issue we would probably drive much more because not only would we save on airfare but we would also save car rental fees.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We have flown every trip from Minnesota but this year my Parents are taking my Wife and I and they want to drive, which is something like 1,600 miles. I am excited about it, it's been a while since I've been on a road trip and I haven't driven that part of the country before. We are planning 3 days drive down and 4 days drive back to maybe see some sites on the way. 67 days to go.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ANG View Post
    If you drive to WDW, how long does it take you?
    We drive every time. All 22 miles of it. Takes about 45 minutes.

Before you start throwing rotten vegetables at me, let me add that we used to live in MD also, and always drove to WDW. Before we got into RVing, we'd stop at a hotel around Savannah for the night. With the RV, we'd stop at a campground in the same area.

For us, the drive was no big thing, except for the area around Springfield, VA through the area where several interstates intertwine - - we called it "The Mixing Bowl" - - which was a major pain, especially when pulling a 36' trailer! After that, it was always smooth sailing.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    There's always a balance between flying or driving. If you save $300 but spend lose 3 days in traveling time is that worth it? Maybe, maybe not depending upon things like your job or employment situation, fears of flying, etc.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the cost of driving is not just the cost of gas. Most studies that I've seen peg the actual cost of driving (includes gas, oil changes, wear & tear, new tires every XX,000 miles, new wiper blades and everything else) at about 50 cents per mile. That's an average of course, not applicable to all driving situations, but it can be a useful rule of thumb when weighing the choice between driving or flying.
    Good points.

If I had to rank why I drive:
    1. Fear of flying
    2. Freedom of having own vehicle
    3. Cost of driving vs. flying (family of 4)
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

We flew our 1st 4 trips, but we've been driving now for years! The airfare is double what we used to pay & I just can't justify that huge expense! It's about a 14 hour drive for us, we try to do more than half way the first day, stop over night & arrive early the next afternoon refreshed & ready to go! Driving does afford you the advantage of bringing what ever you want with you! DS's are better car riders than I am! I'm the one that gets bored & just wants to be there!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

We are in MD as well! We've driven down twice to Disney. Broke it up into 2 days, stopped at Santee, SC for an overnight in a hotel. We were travelling with my DS2 (at the time), my mom and DH. Admittedly that was about 13 years ago now. Recall the trip was about 16 hours one-way for us.

We have since given up on driving down and now fly OR take Auto-Train down. We're doing that in June ourselves. Drive to Lorton, load up an over-sized SUV that stays packed. Get comfortable on the train. Leaves at 4pm and arrives at Orlando at 9am the next day. Disney is about 20 minutes (??) from there.

But...whatever you decide...Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Our one-way ticket for 3 adults, one child, and an oversized SUV was about $490 when we booked 4 weeks ago. Includes dinner, breakfast, snacks, and drinks. Plenty of room to spread out. And...no worries of breaking down at the beginning of your trip! We always drive back though taking the scenic and adding more stops on the way back.
    POFQ - 1995
    CBR - 1999
    POR - 2001
    WL - May 2006
    BCR - April 2010
    PPH (Disneyland) - July 2011
    BWI - Dec 2012 - Anniversary Trip!
    DCL & SoG 2014

Post Thanks / Like

for us its a five to six hour drive,depending on traffic.sometimes my dw & i drive down after see gets off work and stay in kissimee before checking in at POP.even on a short drive we find it fun to spot places that tell us we're getting closer. but there is a "curse "to living so close. you want to jump in the car all the time to go.when we have ap we do.

Post Thanks / Like

We drove from Maryland as well ... about 13 hours, with a trailer. Now in a Tahoe pulling a 24' trailer getting 9-10mpg, the cost two and three years ago (at then gas prices) was about the same as three of us flying. However, we were taking DD's good friend, so it was cheaper!

Driving in something getting 20+ m.p.g., family of 3, even, counting on getting even two rooms overnight each way, I'll wager it's still cheaper. And the drive isn't that bad.

(Of course, I commute up to 2 hours each way to work and back, so what would I know! )

We have flown, especially when we didn't have the leisure of an extra couple of days. I will not drive all the way in one shot. I'm not 20 anymore.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

we drive..from illinois about 19 hours. We leave before dinner on Thursday night, have a dinner picnic in the car, and drive straight through. We usually arrive around lunchtime on Friday depending on how many stops to stretch, snack, etc. Our 3 yr old sleeps much of the trip.

Last time, we got an audiobook for each way--and found that to be a great way to stay alert--wanting to know what happens next. We plan to do this for any of our long distance trips in the future.

Coming back, we haven't found a good strategy yet.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

We used to drive from St. Louis, and it is about 15 hours or so. That's if there is no construction, which can really hamper driving. I never minded the ride down, but the ride home was torture. We are the typical park commandos, and seven days of walking and staying up late, made the ride home rough. About four years ago, I have to admit, we switched to flying. So nice to get on that plane and be home 2 1/2 hours later.
    Formerly luvinmesomedisney. Someone in the family turned off my "remember me" button and I forgot ME. Forgot my password so had to use a different name.

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I started driving down from NE PA about 4 or 5 years ago, and it has been wonderful!

We have driven straight through a couple times, but we like to start out around 5am, hit Savannah, GA, around 8 pm, relax and get a good night's sleep, then get back on the road around 6:30 am. There are plenty of stops along the way for coffee, meals, stretching, etc, too. We usually arrive in WDW around 10am after leaving Savannah (or a little later if we hit an outlet first for some goodies outside WDW).

This way we have a car on property, and it's a godsend. Getting to and from dinners at resorts is soooo short and simple! No bus hopping to get around! (Unless we stay on the monorail, then most of our resort dinners are there).

We've found that even when airfare was cheaper a few years ago, we could still drive, sleep and eat for about the same price as 2 airline tickets. Now.... we actually save money by driving. The drive is part of the fun, so we really enjoy it. I'll be getting a free room at Country Inn and Suites with points this time around, so we'll be saving even more!

Another good thing.... You can pack ANY WAY YOU WANT! We also don't have to pay to ship bigger items home since we can just pack it in the car. Another cost savings!!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MstngDrvnDsnyLvr View Post
    Because I live in Eastern NC - I've never flown down....always driven. But because we don't like to be completely exhausted when we arrive, we break the 11 hr drive up and spend the night at a hotel in Brunswick, GA.

We then get up bright and early the next morning to make the 4 hr drive in to WDW.
    Ditto - but I live in southwest VA!

Visits:
    1997 - day trip
    Sept. 2006 - WL
    May 2007 - WL
    May 2009 - WL
    May 2010 - WL
    May 2012 - WL
    May 2015- WL Girls Trip!!!
    May 2017 -POR Girls Trip!
    May 2018 - WL Girls Trip
    May 2019 - WL Girls Trip!

Post Thanks / Like

We usually drive the 17 hours from N/e Ohio, leaving in the evening and arriving around noon the next day. No traffic at night it great. No sleep is not! We usually hit a Boardwalk area restaurant and spend the first night off site and check in by 8 the next morning to start our package.

The last time we flew was a fiasco. We took our kids and grandkids and it was a lot of money to blow our first day. We had reservations for a 9:15 flight arriving around 11:20. Not bad for the first day. Airtran changed the departure time twice and it ended up not being scheduled to leave until 12:30. Weget to the airport, no plane. Mechanical difficulty. Long story short, we got to the Beach Lcub at 7:45 that night with three very tired and whiny little chidren and an angry Papa who wasted a days visit.

In 62 days, we are taking the kids again. Driving!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2Z&A View Post
    We are in MD as well! We've driven down twice to Disney. Broke it up into 2 days, stopped at Santee, SC for an overnight in a hotel. We were travelling with my DS2 (at the time), my mom and DH. Admittedly that was about 13 years ago now. Recall the trip was about 16 hours one-way for us.

We have since given up on driving down and now fly OR take Auto-Train down. We're doing that in June ourselves. Drive to Lorton, load up an over-sized SUV that stays packed. Get comfortable on the train. Leaves at 4pm and arrives at Orlando at 9am the next day. Disney is about 20 minutes (??) from there.

But...whatever you decide...Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Our one-way ticket for 3 adults, one child, and an oversized SUV was about $490 when we booked 4 weeks ago. Includes dinner, breakfast, snacks, and drinks. Plenty of room to spread out. And...no worries of breaking down at the beginning of your trip! We always drive back though taking the scenic and adding more stops on the way back.

So I got quite excited about the opportunity to use the train. Looked it up and it will cost our family of 4 like $1,700. I couldn't imagine traveling with my young kids without getting them a bed to sleep in. And since we are purchasing 3 tickets (youngest is under 2), it says we can't purchase the smallest room. What a bummer. It also says it cost almost $400 just to check our car each way.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: