Quantcast SouthWest check in question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default SouthWest check in question

When SW boards families with small children, what do they mean by small children, up to 5 yrs old?

If I had "small children", do i have to check in at the 24 hr mark, or would i be ok to check in when i get to the airport and still get good seats?

We're a family of four with 5 & 7 y.o. kids. Id like for us to be seated together, or at least close to each other, at least 1 parent with 1 kid.

Thanks.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Their website says "families with children 4yrs & younger". If you do not have Early Bird Check-In purchased, then I would definitely check-in online 24 hours ahead of time, and not at the airport.
    1987-off site (Honeymoon)
    1992-off site (5/3 yr. old)
    1995/97/99 FW
    2000-WL
    2001/02/03 -FW
    2005-FW
    2008-FW(still camping w/the kids)
    2009-WL (No Kids!)
    2011-WL
    2012-WL (25th Anniv)
    2015-POFQ
    2017-30th Anniv trip w/kids & grandkids! MK for a day!
    2018-FW in OCT! (camping with MOOSE)

Post Thanks / Like

Will ask specifically tomorrow morning but do know they board after group A. People pretty good about moving to accommodate in my experience although for tomorrow we got A3-5
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

It's for people with kids 4 and under. You can board after the A group is boarded but before the B group starts. We have used this service in the past and did well. There were several attendants available to help us with the car seat/ etc.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

This is directly from Southwest's site:

Do families get to preboard?
    An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs between the "A" and "B" boarding groups. However, those Customers holding an "A" boarding pass should still board with the "A" boarding group. With an all-jet fleet outfitted with comfortable, leather seats, our families traveling with small children are easily accommodated together.
    Since your youngest is five, you would be best served to check in exactly 24 hours ahead to, hopefully, get into the "A" group. Either that, or pay the extra money for early bird boarding.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Southwest people this AM at MCO said UNDER 4.
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful if you have a change of planes. We paid for Early Bird and had "A" boarding passes HOWEVER due to lightening/thunderstorm, we left Orlando late (which occurs often). We arrived in our next stop (do not even remember where) with MINUTES before or connection took off. We ran to our gate (FAR) and as we (the last three to board) got on the FULL flight there were exactly 3 seats open (obviously in this situation Eary Bird is no help). Each a middle seat all about 7 or 8 rows apart. The stewardess told us to grab an empty seat. As my FOUR year old clung to my hand I asked if I was going to have to put him between two strangers several rows away and she said "unless someone wants to give up their seat". To my horror NO ONE did. I nelt in the aisle as my son cried and clung to me and explained that I would be just a few rows back. The man in the aisle seat of that row right next where my son was standing in terror crying did not even look up from his book. Thank God the man in the window seat finally offered to move and my son and I sat together. We thanked him and explained why we were so late to board. He understood and I was so thankful. I guess my story is to say ANYTHING can happen and sometimes when traveling with small children it pays to book an airline where you can book your seat ahead of time! I actually do not think we would have stayed aboard if no one gave up their seat. Would have just had to catch a later one. Just the world we live in today - can't be too careful with your babies ...IMO !!

Post Thanks / Like

We will only fly non-stop for fear of connecting flight issues (plus I HATE to fly) but coming from CA I doubt you can (?) But.... I am deeply saddened with your encounter with fellow passengers aboard your connecting flight. Very sad
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback. I will be loggin on @ 8 tonight to check in!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: