Quantcast Need to vent - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to vent

Post Thanks / Like

Good grief! Besides the fact that they must be very stingy even to think what they do, saying it to you is beyond rude!

If you insist on keeping these arrangements (although I, like others, think these "friends" should take a hike), then I would make darn sure they understood you are, in fact, paying for their accommodations. Not just because they're staying with you, but because you're using more points (and paying dues on those points) for them to do it! What freeloaders!!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

At the very least, if you feel you will jeopardize your friendship by cutting them loose - excuse me offering them the option of staying where they are more comfortable - you could rethink the touring while at WDW.

Mention to your friends that you will make ADRs for your family and if they want to make ADRs for the same nights at the same restaurants, here is the phone number and website.

Then, while at Disney, you and your family go your way and let them do their own thing. I have had to say to some family members, this is what we're doing tomorrow; you're welcome to join us or do your own thing, it's up to you.

That reduced the amount of complaining about choices.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I feel so bad for you to be in this position because if they stay with you or get their own room at a value, your friendship will never be the same. If someone offered me a free room, I wouldn't complain about anything...I'd be TOO excited! When we use to travel with family, it was horrible. We had to do everything they wanted until finally I said we are going to do our own thing during the day and meet up for dinner.

I'm not a DVC member (my wish someday!!!) but don't DVC rooms have KITCHENS???? Let them cook their own food and you do your own thing. This will cut down on their $$$$.

Post Thanks / Like

They still want to go with us even after putting on paper the comparisons of staying at a value resort & saving a few bucks by staying with us at BLT but I guess they felt like they were getting a raw deal since having to make multiple payments for passes, air Dining instead of a pay one time package deal. I have hid nothing from them & been very upfront but hope that once they step foot into the 2br lv room their appreciation may change. Told them they dont have to follow our schedule & we could just meet up for dinner or otherwise. As being from NY we only get to Disney once a year or every other year & utilize our days by spending all day in the parks when they would rather sit by the pool. I can save money & stay home & do that or if I want pool/beach time go to a beach resort elsewhere. Live & learn :-)
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be looking for an update from you sometime in October!
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

Not to worry I will update & let ya know if the friendship survived or if they are kissing our feet begging to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle of the Ball 051411 View Post
    I'll be looking for an update from you sometime in October!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah definitely go separate ways when you are there and you can meet for dinner sometimes or whatever. When we took my sister (similar story to yours that I shared earlier), she has insisted she and her family do everything with us as a group. We didn't really want to because she is just sort of a nervous person and gets really crabby when in crowds, lines etc. As expected, we parted ways by Day 2. She kept freaking out, yelling at everyone and just being a real downer. I felt bad for her husband and kids. I love her, she's my sister, but too much togetherness when you have these different ways of doing things just did not work. We split up and would meet up at dinner, back at the room etc and it worked out better.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dyanna View Post
    They still want to go with us even after putting on paper the comparisons of staying at a value resort & saving a few bucks by staying with us at BLT but I guess they felt like they were getting a raw deal since having to make multiple payments for passes, air Dining instead of a pay one time package deal. I have hid nothing from them & been very upfront but hope that once they step foot into the 2br lv room their appreciation may change. Told them they dont have to follow our schedule & we could just meet up for dinner or otherwise. As being from NY we only get to Disney once a year or every other year & utilize our days by spending all day in the parks when they would rather sit by the pool. I can save money & stay home & do that or if I want pool/beach time go to a beach resort elsewhere. Live & learn :-)
    I hope you guys have a great time --- together or separate! If they love hanging out at the pools and resorts during the day, how could they not LOVE being at a Deluxe over a Value resort!!!! Fingers crossed that everything works out well. You really are very generous for sharing your wonderful accomodations with your friends. I hope they wake up and appreciate it soon.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Sheesh....best of luck.

A WDW vacation is one that I just wouldn't take with another family - it's not like going to the beach, so credit to you for being generous.

We went with my parents and adult sister about eight years ago and I was quickly disabused of the notion that traveling with family would be fun, sad as that is to say.

We'll maybe consider going with my wife's brother and his family some day, because his wife was in the college program, they "get it," and I was mightily impressed by the itinerary she put together for their last trip. Our styles match up. So after they complete my 146-question Disney vacation questionnaire maybe I'll think about it....
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
    So after they complete my 146-question Disney vacation questionnaire maybe I'll think about it....
    LOL! My Sentiments exactly!
    "por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas!"

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day!"

Post Thanks / Like

and lets be honest...as fantasyland continues to open up, they're not going to be offering as many extended deals. Already this september's dining does exclude certain locations.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    Yeah definitely go separate ways when you are there and you can meet for dinner sometimes or whatever. When we took my sister (similar story to yours that I shared earlier), she has insisted she and her family do everything with us as a group. We didn't really want to because she is just sort of a nervous person and gets really crabby when in crowds, lines etc. As expected, we parted ways by Day 2. She kept freaking out, yelling at everyone and just being a real downer. I felt bad for her husband and kids. I love her, she's my sister, but too much togetherness when you have these different ways of doing things just did not work. We split up and would meet up at dinner, back at the room etc and it worked out better.
    We did this similar thing a few years back and I have to say that my sister and I are opposites in vacation styles.....my family gets up gets moving and out the door we go until night....my sister and her family, get up late, wander around for a while, eat "breakfast" at 11ish, think about what they want to do, walk around the resort/hotel for an hour discussing what they should do that day -- time for lunch.....you get the idea. I was absolutely NUTS by day 3. My husband told me then and there that we were on our own and if they wanted to meet up with us later in the day (when they started their day he said) -- she could call us.

Best part was.....all the planning I did went out the window the minute we got to Orlando -- she appreciated nothing! I rented the van for the trip and all she wanted was the van, the van, the van to go here and there because they had to "go now" to do something. I gave up the keys and we rode disney transport. It was not worth fighting with her about.

I like several (almost everyone) people agree -- they have their own key to get into the room.....go your way and let them call you when they want your company (or help) -- you will be much saner and have a much nicer vacation -- REALLY you will!! I know people say once they get there they will settle down and enjoy everything but it sounds like you have friends who are not at all appreciative of your generosity -- and if you need new friends....I'll get in the line and stay with you too!! My husband would LOVE to stay at BLT!

Please have a fun and relaxing vacation!!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Can I be your friend? Just take me. I would be a good addition to your touring plans as I am the self proclaimed expert on Disney World. I don't snore (I've never noticed), I don't talk too much, and I will be greatfull for the chance to go back. Take me, PLEASE.
    1989 - Poly
    1990 - Fort Wilderness
    1991 - Port Orleans
    1996 - Dixie Landings
    2000 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2002 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter

C - completely
    U - useless
    B - by
    S - September

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppysmom View Post
    I like several (almost everyone) people agree -- they have their own key to get into the room.....go your way and let them call you when they want your company (or help) -- you will be much saner and have a much nicer vacation -- REALLY you will!!
    Before we went together, my brother and I talked about this. We agreed that's what cell phones work well for. If they wanted to get a late start, we got up and went. If they wanted to stay at a park longer and ride an attraction for the 3rd or 4th time (when once or twice was good enough for us), we could go our separate ways. We still spent a considerable amount of time touring together and ate most of our dinners together. Other than dinner reservations and which park we would go to on which day, we didn't have any hard and fast plans that could not be altered. And, at the nd of the trip, we even altered the parks with Gene & I going to the park we had planned and my brother planning to hit several parks to get in all their son's favorites before the trip ended.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm right there with the folks mentioning different vacation-ing styles. Maybe their mentioning the value option was their way of (possibly) wanting to un-do the arrangements too? (probably not!) But, you did the right thing by mentioning the option to re-book - which I would mention again when some time passes. I would stay firm on what YOU want to do with YOUR family with regard to your daily agendas, and let them do the same. Don't fall prey to altering your desires to accomodate theirs. Instead, make your days your priority and as folks suggest, announce, invite, and GO! (also don't give up your whirlpool tub - it may be your little oasis of calm )!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squad51 View Post
    Can I be your friend? Just take me. I would be a good addition to your touring plans as I am the self proclaimed expert on Disney World. I don't snore (I've never noticed), I don't talk too much, and I will be greatfull for the chance to go back. Take me, PLEASE.
    If we ever decide to take another family with us it would be someone that likes to do the same plans as us. Sounds like you would fit the bill :-)

I just hope that once we get to WDW that they decide to go with our plans as I know the kids would like to all stay together. The husband just goes with the flow & the wife is the one that wants to 'rest & relax" They are a beach family & we are non beach if you get my point.
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site

Post Thanks / Like

What a great friend you are! We have taken family with us on many occasions but have always made it clear from the get-go that we had our own style of vacationing at WDW and while they were more than welcome to join us, we would want them to vacation the way they wanted to as well. Most times we made out ADRs to dine together a few evenings (TS) or meet up in the parks, etc.

I agree with the others that you can offer them an "out" by telling them that you would not be offended if they want to stay at a Value with the hope of getting Free Dining. I truly believe that they are going to be blown away by BLT as most people are who stay at the Deluxes.

In any case, go and have a wonderful time!
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: