Quantcast Which meal is best to start off our trip?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which meal is best to start off our trip?

We just decided to go in September during free dining. We will be arriving on Saturday probably around 3. We want to eat a table service around 8:00. Where is the best place to kick off our trip? We want new experiences this trip so I'm trying not to eat at any of the places we have been before. Thanks!
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Without knowing your dining history or where you plan to be on that first day, it's a bit hard to provide some recommendations. Do you want to keep your meal to 1 table service credit or are you prepared to use 2 table service credits?

Some of my favorites include:
    Citrico's
    Nacoosee's
    California Grill
    Le Cellier
    Kona Cafe
    Brown Derby
    Jiko
    Yachtsman's Steak House
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Ok sorry here's more info. We have 8 year old boys so we would not eat at most of the two credit places you listed. I am considering one two credit meal, which would be spirit of aloha or cinderellas royal table, most likely crt.

Here is where we have at in the past:
    breakfast at Ohana
    lunch and dinner at Whispering Canyon
    dinner at Boma
    dinner at 1900 park fare
    dinner at coral reef
    lunch at teppan edo
    breakfast at Hollywood and vine
    50's primetime cafe
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Are you planning on going to the parks that afternoon/evening? Which park?

If it were us back when my DS was 8, we probably would have begun at Epcot. Our choice for dining would have been Garden Grill or Teppan Edo (which you already have on your list).

Another place we would hit our first day/night was DHS, and there we would have gone to 50's Prime Time.

If you're not planning on going to a park, how about T-Rex or Raglan Road in Downtown Disney (which for us would include a visit to the Lego Store)?

Have fun planning!

P.S. Your 8 yr old DS's want to go to CRT? It was at 8 we made our last visit there. He was NOT happy and his facial expressions made that very clear in every last picture I took! LOL They might enjoy Hoop-Dee-Doo a bit more.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Good ideas! I had thought of going to a park (mk or epcot), but just to eat, and then maybe catch the fireworks. We wouldn't have time for much else.
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I'd start with Garden Grill. Get started with some good food (and family style, since you'll probably be hungry after travelling), great character interaction and if you make it a bit before 8pm, you could catch Illuminations!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest eating a little earlier (say around 6:30) at Crystal Palace and then you could watch the parade and then the fireworks. What a better way to start off your trip. I saw you might do Spirit of Aloha as you 2 TS meal. I would definitely skip that (more for adults I think) and go to Hoop Dee Doo or Mickey's Backyard BBQ. I've enjoyed these much better than CRT and I think your 8 yr old sons would too. I would also check park hours on the night you arrive. MNSSHP is in Sept and the park closes early some nights.
    Last edited by mydisneygirls; 03-10-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: forgot something

Post Thanks / Like

We kicked off our last trip at Hoop-Dee-Doo and think it was a great start after a long travel day. MK is just a boat ride away.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Our first night tradition has always been dinner at Ohana's. We check into our resort, explore, swim, then get ready for dinner. We try to arrive early so that we can spend time shopping, walking on the beach at the Poly, and having a drink or two while we wait to be seated. Ohana's is super fun for kids of all ages, and we think the food is wonderful! After dinner we head back to the beach for fireworks and then take our first spin on the monorail. For us our trip hasn't "officially" begun till we do this, and it's become a very special family tradition for us.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for Jiko. So gooooood!
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Do Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary for breakfast. It's a great buffet and Character experience.
    Happy Campers!
    Brad, Laurie, Lee 23, Evan 16 & pups Bailey & Molly, +1 crazy cat named Tyber

You spent three days lying on a beach, drinking rum?... Welcome to the Caribbean, Love. (ie. Elizabeth Swan & Captain Jack Sparrow)

Post Thanks / Like

We like Via Napoli, for pizza and salads. But, when our son was 8, he would have picked SciFi Dinner Theatre hands down. I have a hard time spending a TS on SciFi, so we usually pay and save the TS for a 2TS dinner.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Our first night tradition has always been dinner at Ohana's. We check into our resort, explore, swim, then get ready for dinner. We try to arrive early so that we can spend time shopping, walking on the beach at the Poly, and having a drink or two while we wait to be seated. Ohana's is super fun for kids of all ages, and we think the food is wonderful! After dinner we head back to the beach for fireworks and then take our first spin on the monorail. For us our trip hasn't "officially" begun till we do this, and it's become a very special family tradition for us.
    This sounds very nice. We planned on doing this last year but family joined us last minute so we had to lose our Ohana ressies. I may consider this again, but hubby wants new places and we eat Ohana every year for breakfast. About how many hours before mk wishes do you make your ressies?
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaTeacher View Post
    Do Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary for breakfast. It's a great buffet and Character experience.
    We are planning on doing either chef mickeys or cape may cafe for breakfast during one day of our trip.
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    I would suggest eating a little earlier (say around 6:30) at Crystal Palace and then you could watch the parade and then the fireworks. What a better way to start off your trip. I saw you might do Spirit of Aloha as you 2 TS meal. I would definitely skip that (more for adults I think) and go to Hoop Dee Doo or Mickey's Backyard BBQ. I've enjoyed these much better than CRT and I think your 8 yr old sons would too. I would also check park hours on the night you arrive. MNSSHP is in Sept and the park closes early some nights.
    Is Mickey's Backyard BBQ on the dining plan? We would eat there but I never see it on the dining plan list. I like your crystal palace idea and thanks for the tip on mnsshp. They dont have scheduele out for it yet but last year they didnt have it during the first week of september, which is when we are going, so maybe we will be ok.

So many possibilities! And im so undecicive!
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    Are you planning on going to the parks that afternoon/evening? Which park?

If it were us back when my DS was 8, we probably would have begun at Epcot. Our choice for dining would have been Garden Grill or Teppan Edo (which you already have on your list).

Another place we would hit our first day/night was DHS, and there we would have gone to 50's Prime Time.

If you're not planning on going to a park, how about T-Rex or Raglan Road in Downtown Disney (which for us would include a visit to the Lego Store)?

Have fun planning!

P.S. Your 8 yr old DS's want to go to CRT? It was at 8 we made our last visit there. He was NOT happy and his facial expressions made that very clear in every last picture I took! LOL They might enjoy Hoop-Dee-Doo a bit more.
    Yes my boys love the castle. They have a toy one that they play with all the time. They said they would like to eat inside of it. I just have to decide if I really want to use two table credits for it. Im just starting the planning of this trip so I haven't made my mind up on anything yet and I'm toying with the possibilities. Ah, planning is half the fun
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

One more question.... the food looks great at Ohana for diner, but do they offer anything else for the kids? I don't think my boys would enjoy this family style meal, although dh and I would.
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Tuscaloosa, AL, 582.10 miles from Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohana

We always start our trip out at Ohana!
    WDW 9/2011 Pop Century
    WDW 4/2011 Pop Century
    WDW 8/2010 Pop Century
    WDW 4/2007 Pop Century
    WDW 4/2006 Pop Century
    WDW 5/2005 Pop Century
    WDW 5/2002 Hilton/ASMovies
    WDW 5/2000 Off Site
    WDW 6/1997 ASMusic
    WDW 1991 Lake Buena Vista Palace
    WDW 1990 Off Site
    WDW 1987 Cont
    WDW 1983 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneymomma2010 View Post
    One more question.... the food looks great at Ohana for diner, but do they offer anything else for the kids? I don't think my boys would enjoy this family style meal, although dh and I would.
    Yes! Your server will be happy to provide something else, if your kids don't like the (delicious, delicious) food. My niece and nephew declared the chicken nuggets they had at 'Ohana last year to be the "best ever."

Having said that, I would take this one if you can get it, although, if you want to be seated at 8 and you want a seat by the windows for Wishes, I'd probably get there around 7pm to check in. I think 'Ohana is a great way to kick off a trip! We don't have a traditional first night meal, but we do try to hit 'Ohana for dinner once each trip. It is COMPLETELY different from breakfast, so your husband can rest easy.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I would also recommend 'Ohana for dinner. It's great fun, with the coconut races, hula-hoop contests and the big fire grill, & live music too, our kids love it. A must do for every trip.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Share This Thread On Social Media: