Quantcast What Would You Do?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Would You Do?

We are booked for 5 nights at the Royal Pacific Resort on the property for our annual HHN trip.

We got a pretty good rate (Stay More, Save More) and decided we'd save a little money and have a change from the Hard Rock, which we stayed at the year before last.

TODAY, Universal sent me something they never have before: A discount code! They have listed the same rate I am paying for Royal Pacific for Portofino Bay if I use the code. We have done day trips to US and IoA, stayed at Royal Pacific once and at Hard Rock once, but have never even stepped into the Portofino area.

For those of you who have seen and/or stayed, what would you do?

Stick with the tropical theming of Royal Pacific or vacation at the Italian themed Portofino Bay. Does Portofino offer anything that particularly makes it a better choice (pool, service, etc.?). I believe Portofino's rooms are bigger. Not sure the differentiation between walk/boat time between the property and the parks.

Thanks in advance!!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's a significant savings, I would switch. I love Royal Pacific... I love everything about it. However, we just stayed at Portofino and it was very nice. It is a longer walk to the parks, but the boats come pretty frequently so I would not let that deter you. The room, the pool, the service was all wonderful. I honestly can't think of one bad thing to say about it. The rooms are bigger, the bathroom is huge! My husband would tell you that he loved the fact that they have the TV sound wired into the bathroom- lol no screen, but speakers.

I am all about the deal though! That is usually why we stay at Royal other than the fact that we love it (usually it is the best priced). To me I love the theme of RP the most, but everyone in my family loved Portofino.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! I have to call to confirm, but it seems as though they will both cost EXACTLY the same.

It's going to be a tough choice!

Did you feel as though the service in general was better at Portofino (not that it's bad at Royal Pacific). I'm trying to figure out what the normal price differentiation "gets you" at Portofino.

Did you notice any construction (yes, I am a pessimist as to why this great price may be offered haha)?
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

The service was very good- but I have to say it was the same at RP every time, too. Portofino is their flagship resort. There are a few pools there, but their beach pool with the sand and zero entry I felt was just as nice as the pool at RP and similar. Except RP has a water play area like a ship and PB had a slide. LOL not for me but the kids. There was construction but it really didn't seem to affect anything- in the piazza area they facade was being redone. Shops were open and noise wasn't a factor. Our room was not near the construction.

Maybe bookings are down over there- when I booked on my annual passholder discount it was about $5 more per night than RP- in the past that has not been the case. My husband had wanted to try Portofino for a while so I thought I'd try with the deal.

It is very themed but it really boils down to your taste. I really love RP because of the pacific islands theme. I've always preferred that to the Mediterranean. I still like RP better, but only because of that. Service, quality etc was identical to me.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

If they are the same price I would go for the Portofino. I know their prices are higher than the other two hotels so I would take this opportunity to stay there without paying the higher cost.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

If it is the same or close in price why not try it. We absolutely loved it. We did not use our car once when we were there. We used the boat which was very convenient. Wait was short.

Property was nice. Rooms were great. We stayed club level and did enjoy it very much. It was quite a walk to the Club room but we very very close to pool which was great with kids. Kids enjoyed the movies and playing pool with other kids. They were 12 and 14 at the time. The older one had his own club room key which made him feel important.

Food was good. Pizza shop was really nice. Gelato was great. Take pictures on the Vespas.

As a comparison the next lag of our trip we switched over to the Wilderness Lodge which we thought the boys would love. They liked Portofino better. Go figure?
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Universal hotels more than the Disney hotels also.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Whoo hoo! Went ahead and booked Portofino.

Like NJGirl mentioned, why not give it a try when it's not at the normal price.

The code rate for Portofino Bay actually BEAT our Royal Pacific rate by $2 per week night and $4 per weekend night, plus the subsequent small amount of tax attached to the higher dollar value. Not a huge difference, but feels like a BIG win !

Thanks for your help and opinions!

This was a nice unexpected surprise today!

Post Thanks / Like

As a side note, I've used 2 different email addresses in the past with Loews (one to book, one for my Loews First preferred guest reward account that we recently signed up for after our old account went idle and was cancelled from not being used).

One of these emails I infrequently use, and realized they sent the SAME deal (but different numerical code) to my other address as well.

I wonder what prompted this deal. Judging by the email address situation, I would venture it is possible that they offered this to Loews First guests and those who have stayed on the property in the past.

A bit of advice - It may be very worth it to sign up for the free Loews First program if you haven't already and are a Universal fan. This may have been a factor in receiving at least one of the code offers (the Loews First program is the only way they would have that email address).

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: