Quantcast BWI, YC, Cabins, or POR if Budget is not a factor?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BWI, YC, Cabins, or POR if Budget is not a factor?

I am learning more and more each day it seems regarding our WDW planning for October 2012. We are a family of 5, and the 3 children are boys who will be 13, 12, and 5 when we travel.

I posted a couple of days ago regarding a resort that would be nice but not tear a hole in the wallet. I got some very informative response and thought we were settling in on the Port of Orleans - Riverside.

The more we plan though, the more we begin to consider raising the budget restriction on a resort which would allow us to consider the Deluxe resorts.

With that background, which of the following resorts would be best for our family's first WDW trip if budget was not a limiting factor: Boardwalk Room, Yacht Club Room, Port of Orleans - Riverside room, or a Cabin at Fort WIlderness? Perks of the resort would probably be more important than space. I can see us spending time (maybe a full day or two) at the resort and out of the parks, and swimming on those times would be a must. (My 5 year old does not know how to swin yet, so young kid pools are a perk especially if they also have bigger pool areas for the teen/tween two.) Convience of getting to the parks (We plan to visit all 4 but expect the MK to be our favorite) is a nice perk as well for us to value.

Opinions?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you stay at the Yacht Club, you will also have access to the very best resort pool on Disney property. You'll also be within walking distance of Boardwalk and all the evening entertainment that occurs there. Plus, you're walking distance from both Epcot and Disney Studios. From the list you've provided, this would be my first choice.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

If money was no object .. YC all the way!

The pool alone is enough of a reason, add it the ease of getting to Epcot and DHS, and I'm sold.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed YC...club level...did NOT like it at all.

The pool was ok but other than that, not a fan.

Post Thanks / Like

yacht, easily. like others have said, the pool is the best resort pool at wdw. also fun on the boardwalk at night and walking distance to epcot and dhs. boardwalk would be my 2nd choice, also a great option just not quite as great a pool.

Post Thanks / Like

Any reason you left off Poly? It has a great pool, monorail access to both the MK and Epcot (without changing monorails), terrific restaurants, great pool and sleeps 5 better than all but POR. The rooms are also much larger and have patios or balconies, so much more space than POR.

Something to think about.
    *1972-Contemporary
    *1982-Tree House Village
    *1987-Offsite
    *1997-AS Music
    *2000-CS
    *2004-Offsite
    *2005-Disneyland
    *2006-WL
    *2007-AS Sports
    *2008-AKV/WLV/BCV and 4-day Disney Wonder
    *2009-POP/AKV
    *2009-OKW for Christmas
    *2010-BLT
    *2011-Spring Break: Offsite-Sheraton Vistana
    *2011-OKW/BWV

Post Thanks / Like

YC, but I prefer Beach Club.

The pool is amazing, and with a "non swimmer", it's the best one. There is a HUGE shallow (1.5 ft-2ft) section with a sandbar where kids can play in the sand with shovels and buckets and wade around. That is only one section of the giant 3 section pool. This pool is really amazing...almost as good as a water park. Your teens will love it too...it has a huge great slide (and on the back of the slide, another shallow (3ft) pool with kiddie slide. Swim vests are available free of charge for your "non swimmer" and if you go in the pool with him, he can enjoy all of it too.

Plus, there are lots of other fun things to do around that resort area (mini golf, bike and boat rentals, the Boardwalk, and lots of great restaurants nearby).
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRWDisney View Post
    Any reason you left off Poly?
    I suppose I left it off due to information overload. In all honesty, I thought it and the Floridian were even more expensive than the. Deluxe resorts I listed. I see now that it is comparable, and it looks appealing from the WDW site. I guess it is another one I need to add to our list for consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    If you stay at the Yacht Club, you will also have access to the very best resort pool on Disney property. You'll also be within walking distance of Boardwalk and all the evening entertainment that occurs there. Plus, you're walking distance from both Epcot and Disney Studios. From the list you've provided, this would be my first choice.
    Agreed. Though with kids, I think Beach Club is better and the Polynesian even better than that, or a toss-up considering the really wonderful pool at BC shared by YC.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    We prefer BC/YC for all of the above reasons! Your kids will absolutely love it.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replys, for they have helped in narrowing down our pick. (We think.)

It seems we have eliminated the BWI due to lack of support, bad reviews on a different website, and the realization that the BWI does not offer a Quick Service meal option which would satisfy Breakfast.

The Cabins were always an underdog and have been eliminated due to lack of support.

The Poly made a run and got considered hard, but then we found many negative reviews suggested location was the only reason it was considered a deluxe. (I may be different once we return, but I don't see location as being a major determining factor. Especially since we plan to visit all 4 parks.)

The Beach Club got brought into the decision as well. The Beach Club and Yacht Club look basically the same. They seem to share the pools as well as dining. Am I correct is this? Beings these two are front runners now, what is the major differences between the Beach and Yacht clubs?

One last question to help us decide. If you could choose the Beach club or Yacht club for 5 nights/6 days or the POR for 7 ights/8 days, which would you pick? (Keep in mind this will be our first ever trip and we want to see all 4 parks.) I guess the question is: is it justified in staying at a moderate over a deluxe in order to stay a little longer?

Post Thanks / Like

beach over yacht with kids. i've stayed at pofq and por several times, and i'd pick beach every time because of the location and the pool. also, the poly is great, not sure where you have read bad reviews but it is excellent. we just prefer the board/beach area as it is more laid back to stroll to epcot or dhs.

make sure you take the kids over to the boardwalk at night to see the street performers! it's a great chance for you and your spouse to sit on a bench and just sit back and let the kids have a good time. LOVE that area.

Post Thanks / Like

Either resort is nice. I personally prefer the Yacht Club due to the decor but other then that - there is no big difference.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

The Yacht Club is my preference, but my kids are grown. The YC seems the preferred for many adults, while the BC seems to be the biggest hit with families. If the beach and pool are priorities, as well as quick service, the beach club is the one. The YC shares pool and quick service with the BC, but the Beach Club is closer to the pool areas/beach and houses the quick service dining area (inside the gift shop- one of the least desirable quick service locations for me). The Yacht Club is closer to the boat transportation- but both are an easy walk from Epcot, with the Beach Club being a little closer.

The Beach Club is brighter, somewhat more whimsical, definitely a family feel. The Yacht Club has a more ornate, darker lobby with a bar. The Yacht Club lobby feels like the library in the house of an old shipping magnate, mahogany and brass. The Beach Club is old timey beach resort feel, white with splashes of color.

The Poly has more going for it than location for me. It's got larger rooms, arguably better shops and restaurants including a very wonderful (24 hour) quick service location with Captain Cook's. I wouldn't be quick to discount it as it does have a deluxe albeit relaxed feel. What it lacks is a workout room and hot tubs. But I do think you're making the right choice with the Beach Club or Yacht Club, also a great location and your kids will love the pool/beach.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

The main differences between YC and BC are mostly cosmetic. BC has a slight edge in that the Marketplace is there, right off the lobby. However, there is a CS breakfast spot at YC at the Crew's Cup lounge. They have continental breakfast available for purchase in there every morning. NONE of the Epcot area resorts has a true food court like you would find at POR. Breakfast will have to be limited to yogurt parfaits, breakfast croissant sandwiches, and french toast sticks for the kids, along with the usual suspects of muffins, pastries, and whole fruits. You won't find any real, true hot breakfast platters here. There is a 24 hour QS place located at the Dolphin resort, which is a quick walk away. They do offer a full breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu. It's called Picabu's.

We prefer BC due to the decor, relaxed feel, and closer proximity to Epcot, as well as having the pool entrance where the slide is closest to us. If you'd rather be closer to the sandy bottom toddler pool, the YC is closer to that end.

Both resorts share a fitness center, arcade, beauty salon, and Beaches and Cream, which are all located at the point where the two separate resort buildings join in the middle. As a "resident" of one resort, you can easily reach any of the amenities or restaurants offered at the other.

YC houses the Yachtsman Steakhouse, Crew's Cup Lounge, and Captain's Grille. In addition, their gift shop is much better than the one at BC, althought it has a definite "upscale" feel to it, which is reflected in the items sold there.

If you are debating between these two, just look at some pictures of them online and go with the one that appeals to you most.

Being that this is your first trip, neither 5 nights or 7 nights is truly enough. You won't even make a dent in all that WDW has to offer, so don't try! Make a list of "must do" things and try to do as much as you can without burning out.

The problem with choosing the YC/BC and only having 6 days, though, is that you might find yourself torn between wanting to spend time at the resort and enjoy everything it has to offer and being in the parks.

I'd start by really thinking about what kind of vacation you want. Are you a family that is wanting to go commando and spend 12 hours in the parks, and seeing and doing as much as possible? Or, do you like to be more relaxed on vacation? If it's the first one, I'd recommend the longer vacation and the POR. If it's the second, definitely a deluxe resort.

My personal opinion is that you will enjoy your vacation a lot more if you take a relaxed approach to it, and remember you can always come back (again and again) to do everything you missed the first time around. Don't get overwhelmed with everything there is to do or you will have a miserable time.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Look at this from the perspective of your 2 boys ages 12,13

At most of the mods/deluxe they have the choice between sitting in the room, being in the pool or playing in the arcade $$$. How long will that hold their interest?

At FW they also can bike ride, Fish, play basketball, explore the trails plus a nighttime campfire movie.

Whatever way you go Have a good time and remember Disney calories don't count

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunkyg View Post
    Look at this from the perspective of your 2 boys ages 12,13

At most of the mods/deluxe they have the choice between sitting in the room, being in the pool or playing in the arcade $$$. How long will that hold their interest?

At FW they also can bike ride, Fish, play basketball, explore the trails plus a nighttime campfire movie.
    This is a good point. However, it illustrates how different kids are. My two sons, even at age 5 and 7 would have NO interest in fishing, playing basketball, exploring trails, or a nighttime campfire movie. If we would let them, they'd spend the ENTIRE DAY at Stormalong Bay, eating Ice Cream at Beaches and Cream, and playing in the arcade.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

The Yacht Club has more of a rich atmosphere. I don't see as many children on this side as I do the Beach Club. I have stayed at both and where kids are involved, the Beach Club always comes out ahead due to the arcade and the brightness of the room. I do have to warn you though. As the Beach Club is my home resort which means this is the first resort we ever stayed at, it sets a standard for any subsequent trips. I have stayed at several resorts now just for research purposes but I always long for the Beach Club as soon as I get settled in, except for the Christmas we stayed at the Boardwalk Inn. At Christmas, the Boardwalk Inn was the most festive of all the resorts we visited. It put me in the Christmas spirit. But any other time of the year - I definately want the Beach Club.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding your last question, I'd personally rather stay at the POR for a longer time, rather than any deluxe for a shorter time. There is so much to do, it's a shame to go home "early" just to have a nicer place to sleep. I think you've been misled on the Poly, though - the comment about location being the only reason it is a Deluxe. It is wildly popular with a LOT of poeple, and would be my first choice of a place to stay if I could afford it (not that I can). Make sure you at least visit it to look around and have dinner at O'Hana's while you are visiting ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

We LOVE POR and would definitely choose staying there for a longer period of time over staying at a Deluxe for less days. POR has wonderful amenities. The pool areas are fun, the arcade is great, can't miss YeeHaww Bob at the Roost, you can fish as well. Take the boat to Downtown Disney...it's great! The food court (which is counter service) is awesome! The atmosphere is great too!
    Plus...you get more time at Disney! Isn't that the point?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: