Quantcast Would this be weird?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Would this be weird?

Would it be weird, or frowned upon to eat at a TS, but bring in food from a nearby CS restaurant for one (or more) picky kid eaters?

To say that my kids are picky is an understatement of epic proportions. They are both on the Autism spectrum and have major food limitations, which usually get worse on vacation. However, it ends up that what one son likes is always completely different from the other son. When one TS restaurant kid's menu has an item one kid will eat, it usually also doesn't have an item the OTHER kid will eat. For instance, one son likes mac and cheese and pizza. The other only likes hamburgers and chicken tenders. Rarely will I find a kids menu with either burgers or chicken AND either mac and cheese or pizza at the same time.

I want to eat at a couple places where the kids' menu (and even the regular menu) won't be able to accommodate both kids, so I was thinking I'd be able to grab something for one child prior to the meal and bring it in. I'm thinking of this for Whispering Canyon Cafe, since I can head over to Roaring Fork just after we sit down. Or, we could maybe just stop there first, have our kids eat, and then only order them dessert at the sit down meal? What would be acceptable?

We are not on a dining plan, and I know that I could speak to them about special dietary needs and all that, but we don't have ADRs made, and we really don't need "special" meals, just usually what they DON'T have at the restaurant.

I wish they'd standardize the kids menus and offer all the same options everywhere. It would make this so much easier!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what Disney's policy is, but we used to do this for my son when he was little. We would step in and ask the hostess if it was okay first, but nobody every turned us away Also, it would be perfectly fine to feed your kids and then just order them dessert. Have fun

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I feel for you. Until recently my son would only eat pizza and peanut butter and jelly. Definitely a challenge. I used to try to plan around the menus but now I ask at the restaurant what they can do to help.

I never thought about bringing something in from a CS restaurant because I have had problem with that outside Disney, but as long as the restaurant is owned by Disney I would think it would be okay. Maybe just ask at the podium?

I have had my kids just get dessert and no meal at a TS restaurant. It has never been a problem. At Via Napoli last week, I order my son the spaghetti with meat balls and requested no meatballs, no sauce and replace with butter. I only order a drink for my daughter and then gave her a small portion of my son's pasta. They were very accommodating. I also had a similar experience at Sci Fi Diner.

I hope you can make it work.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Ordinarily I'd say it is never okay to bring "outside" food into a sit down restaurant, but considering your special circumstances, I would think they might be happy to allow this. (as long as there is not actual "law" agaisnt it. I know it sounds weird, but where I live it is against the law, for health board reasons, to bring food from outside of a restaurant into a restaurant.). If there is some compelling reason against it, I think having them eat first and then just have dessert would be a good compromise. Great thing about Disney is that it never hurts to ask, and they usually bend over backwards to help out!

Post Thanks / Like

I would ask at the venue prior to your visit. Some might allow, some might frown on it.

With my kids, we would ask them to try something from the menu and if they didn't like it, we would let them leave it on the plate and get them their choice of quick service later. It worked really well for us. They usually tried new foods and ended up liking them. My daughter was picky, but she did get past it. But... this might not work for you. I think if you explain it to the restaurant the way that you explained it to us, it would probably be allowed every time.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Natalie,

I would think what you plan to do at WCC would be fine. You may even be able to ask the server if they can help. They may be able to have something made for either of your son's.

I know the feeling. I have one son who is allergic to poultry and seafood, and he's super duper picky on top of that. Finding places we can all eat, and be happy, can be trying. Because his is an allergy I've always found WDW to be more than accomodating. I've never had any issues, and most of the time at a TS location they can prepare him something that he can eat, even when its not on the menu. Not always, but they sure as heck try. Good luck!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I would think to do as others have stated - ask before you sit down but another thing to try might be to just ask the server for what you need at that particular restaurant.

for example. if you are at a place that has the burgers and chicken for one son and you need mac and cheese for the other, simply ask them if they can get it for you. Just because its not on the menu doesn't mean that they cant accomodate your request. Be sure to explain to the server why you are asking for it and I would think that Disney will do their best to help you out. If they can't do it, then I would say to grab something for him at a cs place. IMO it never hurts to ask. I would also say that even though you don't "need" a special menu that I would call the dining number and explain the situation and see what they can help you with. if they know ahead of time that you need a kids mac and cheese meal they may be able to get it for you from somewhere else ahead of time so that you cn all sit down as a family and enjoy the meal!

Disneyfan328
    Pittsburgh PA
    3/97 - All Star Music
    9/07 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2009All Star Movie~Wedding Anniversary!
    January 2012 All Star Movies
    December 2013 - All Star Movies to celebrate birthdays!
    Planning our December 2015 "Paige's Sweet 16" Birthday Trip -Art of Animation!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I say just do what's best for your children. You are spending a good amount of money on food at that particular TS restaurant for other family members anyhow. I am sure they are not going to get upset if one of your children needs to eat something else.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

I would just call up the restaurant today and ask rather than waiting until you're down there or arriving at your reservation. They can certainly give you a more definitive answer than any of us can. Plus that way if some restaurants can accommodate it and others can't you'll have time to change reservations.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though you're not on the DP, I would still make ADRs and then request the special meals. I'm sure they would accommodate you. FYI: When we were at Whispering Canyon in Sept, those that didn't have reservations had to wait over an hour to be seated!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would be suprised if Disney did not allow you to bring in food. I would suggest, like other already have, to call ahead and get the ADRs with the special meal. That way Disney knows ahead of time and can have things ready for your family.

I remember on our honeymoon, a lady at Ohana was lactose intolerant. The chef made her a desert especially for her. And as told to me by a food service manager at Pop Century, any and all dietary issues are accounted for and can be accomadated with little to no warning.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I wish they'd standardize the kids menus and offer all the same options everywhere. It would make this so much easier!
    Absolutely. We went into Pecos Bills and our picky eater wanted a hot dog (she NEVER eats hot dogs and is reading this while I'm typing and crossing her arms and saying I am never eating a hot dog; but she wanted one then). Which wasn't on the menu. But then she's never eaten a hamburger, which may be why she wanted a hot dog. (oh, I was just told hot dogs are edible, "without the bread")(She also says she is not the picky eater - it's not even nice to pretend she's the picky eater!)

We have many times done the spaghetti, with the sauce and meatballs on the side for picky eaters. We have even lucked out, on occasion, with something from the appetizer list, when the kids menu failed.

As accommodating as Disney is, I'd call either before you go, or a day before you're going to the restaurant.

If we can't get kids' appetites standardized , it would be nice to at least have pizza, noodles, PBJ, hamburgers, grilled cheese, and chicken nuggets on every menu. That's only six things.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    If we can't get kids' appetites standardized , it would be nice to at least have pizza, noodles, PBJ, hamburgers, grilled cheese, and chicken nuggets on every menu. That's only six things.

Jan
    I'll second that. It would make my life much easier!
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain. You are not the only one with an extremely picky eater! My son is 11 and is borderline Aspergers. When I made ADR's I went through every menu to ensure that they offered something that he would eat. I do plan on bringing several snacks with me every day just in case. Good luck to you!

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with my non-picky eater, is that they will go out of their way to make sure that your children get to eat what they like. A call ahead of time to the restaurant may be all it takes to ensure that both your boys will have options to their liking. WCC isn't too far from Roaring Forks and they can easily get what's missing from their kitchen from the other kitchen. But, like I said, a phone call or two will make sure that can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    It would make life easier for some, but far more difficult for others. I never fed my kid the same few options day in and day out, and certainly didn't want to on vacation either. But I do agree that a few standardized items that are common denominators would help. But having those extra different items are what helped my DS learn to like new things.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: