Quantcast Non Polynesian Resort guests at the Poly beach?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Non Polynesian Resort guests at the Poly beach?

Not looking to start any arguments.....
    During our last two stays at the Polynesian Resort, we noticed that the Poly beach was extremely crowded in the evening, more crowded than ever and we found large numbers of folks leaving immediately after WISHES! and making their way to the Monorail and to the boat launch.
    Those of you that have been there recently noticed this? Or was it just our timing?
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The obvious answer is; that beach is one of the most recommended spots on this site from which to watch Wishes. We are considering it for our visit next month, although we are staying at the Beach Club.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a shame for people who pay the extra $$$$ to enjoy that view. Nice to know as we'll most likely be staying there at our next big visit. Is there a sign that says anything about pool for resort guests only? Should apply to the beach as well I would think.. maybe those people were resort guests and they were going to EMH after the fireworks?
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

People from other resorts are always welcome to roam the grounds. It is in visiting other resorts that people make future plans to stay at said new resort. There are also restaurants at each resort that are open to all visitors (assuming reservations or willingness to wait on line).

Also, the pool is an enclosed, limited area. It is easier to control non-resort guest traffic in that area. There are also state and county laws about capacity in pool areas when lifeguards are on duty. They have to control that area to make sure resort guests can fit in the pool area.

The beach is large and having many people there doesn't constitute a safety issue. Is it annoying? Yes. Will they do anything about this? No.
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

This post should be moved to the you might be a disney snob if.....
    Mmmmmmmmm Egg roll cart!

Post Thanks / Like

Dvc members staying on their points are allowed to pool hop to the Poly...unless it 's overcrowded with resort guests.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I see no problem with sharing the beach with others. Especially one that has such an incredible view of the fireworks. Plus the ambiance of the Poly is relaxing and if we are having dinner there, why should we not be allowed to roam the grounds once we are done? Resort exploring is encourage as a way to lure guests to come stay there next time. They would be cutting their own throats if only guests of said resort were allowed on resort property.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose only Poly, Contemporary, and GF guests should be allowed to use the monorail also?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    I suppose only Poly, Contemporary, and GF guests should be allowed to use the monorail also?
    We actually used to be "carded" to be allowed on the resort monorail or launches to the Poly and GF.
    Diane
    ~•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•~
    When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney-4-Me View Post
    We actually used to be "carded" to be allowed on the resort monorail or launches to the Poly and GF.
    I heard they are bringing back carding at DTD to resorts. Because of the parking issue. I do think it's long overdue and some people always have to cheat the system for free parking. Some take the bus to a resort and hop over to a park. Not nice.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

OP, I think it may have been a timing issue for you. I've heard this complaint, of over crowded beaches at the Poly, many, many times over the years. Yet everytime we are in WDW we watch Wishes from the Poly beach on our night we eat at Ohana's. On all those trips, 14 of them, we have often times been the only family on the beach. And even when we weren't the only family there may have been 2 or 3 other families/groups. Hardly what I'd call "crowded". And the one time we stayed at the Poly we were on the beach at night almost every night and it was never crowded, practically empty actually. So I do think it may just be a peak season/summer issue, not the norm.

The grounds of the resorts are open to everyone, not just resort guests. So I doubt that anything would ever be done about the issue, unless temporarily for special holidays or events. I think I've read in the past that on the 4th of July the Poly beach was open to Poly resort guests only. Other than that I don't think Disney wants to police the beaches on a regular basis, nor do I think they should.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Many people are more $ conscious than others. They enjoy all that resorts have to offer and simply sleep at a Value. If WDW started limiting resort facilities to resort guests only, then I could agree with this. However, the only restrictions currently for resort visitors is the pool, there is nothing that will be done.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

The beach access is indeed for guests staying at the resort. In years past, especially during special event fireworks, guests were asked to show their resort room keys.

I would call and make a formal complain so perhaps they'll start enforcing the rule again.

Quote Originally Posted by MKFD43 View Post
    This post should be moved to the you might be a disney snob if.....
    It has nothing to do with being a 'snob'. Deluxe resort guests pay a lot of money to have the amenities of the beach and views.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

We plan our Ohana ADRs so that we can go enjoy Wishes from the beach afterwards. I've noticed a good number of people watching from the beach but never so many I'd call it crowded (we don't go during peak seasons though). I've never seen any signage to say that the beach is for Poly resort guests only, just the pool. Sometimes we take the monorail and explore/shop at the other monorail resorts. When we eat at Boma, we go look at the animals from the public savannah viewing areas. I don't see this as much different from wandering out to the Poly beach and can't imagine Disney telling guests who dine at their resorts that they can't go explore the other areas.

We're Disney resort guests, paying to enjoy a meal and ambiance of another Disney resort, which happens to include a fireworks show. If Disney really saw this as a problem, they would post rules and find a way to enforce them. I'm not sure how crowded it was when you observed, but when we've gone it's been 10-15 families, all watching quietly, not disturbing anyone. We're not trying to pool hop or disrupt other resort guests. We keep off the pathways, share a chair, or stand out of the way of others' line of sight. I don't think it's that much of a disturbance for Poly guests.

Btw- Staying at the Poly and watching the fireworks from my room balcony is on my list of things to do on the "dream" Disney trip, but at this time it's not financially feasible. Like PPs have mentioned though, it's walking around the Poly, eating there, and watching fireworks from the beach that made me want to stay there in the first place. Letting families explore resorts besides their own is how Disney gets them to come back and upgrade their resort choice.
    1994- Offsite
    1995- ASMusic
    1999- Contemporary
    2000- ASMovies
    2005- Pop Century
    2006- POR & AKL
    2010- Pop Century
    Dec 2011- Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

Post With apologies to the Moderators

OP here. I was very hesitant to post this, and upon reading some of the replies, I almost wish that I hadn't.
    The not so subtle "snob" allegation is not only untrue but also rings with envy perhaps?
    My reason for asking this was for planning purposes, simply if the crowds are anticipated I plan to be at the beach earlier in the evening to secure a spot.
    In regards to the immature Monorail comment posted by gerald72, I politely suggest you re-read my question. There is no insinuation regarding exclusivity to either the Poly beach or the Monorail.
    I have always been under the impression that the Poly beach was an area of open access, not limited to Poly guests only. Perhaps any CM's that are members here may be able to share the official WDW policy.
    Either way,I plan to enjoy one night of WISHES! at the Poly beach with everyone else who is there.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney-4-Me View Post
    But wouldn't make any sense today as there are many people going from the Magic Kingdom to one of the resorts to dine. How would you like to have to take a bus to your ADR from MK to the Poly?
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The beach access is indeed for guests staying at the resort. In years past, especially during special event fireworks, guests were asked to show their resort room keys.
    Is this really the case? I'm just curious...

OP, I know it seemed like people are on your case, but don't take too much to heart! It is disappointing when you pay a good deal of money to enjoy your resort or something of the like, and others take advantage of the free perks. I know I've had some disappointing situations like this before: Christmas night at Narcoossee's, for example. We had a great lakeside table and were so excited to watch Wishes. As the time drew near, the walkway around the restaurant filled up with guests not eating at the restaurant, and we ended up not seeing a thing! They had every right to be there, which seemed odd, but there you go...

I think when you're at WDW, try not to sweat the small stuff!
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

Post Thanks / Like

While I can totally agree with the swim at your resort rule I don't see how Disney can keep guests from watching Wishes from the Poly beach.

we always go at least one night for the water pageant and the beach is not crowded when we have gone. We eat at Kona's several times during our annual week visit and can't imagine not going to the beach after we eat.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katzateer View Post
    While I can totally agree with the swim at your resort rule I don't see how Disney can keep guests from watching Wishes from the Poly beach.

we always go at least one night for the water pageant and the beach is not crowded when we have gone. We eat at Kona's several times during our annual week visit and can't imagine not going to the beach after we eat.
    I agree 100%. There are reasons to control pool-hopping. That has nothing to do with the resort restaurants or stores or marinas - or beaches. I've never seen any kind of policy that says we can't enjoy dinner at 'OHana and then walk to the beach to enjoy Wishes or the water pagent. It's something we enjoy doing every now and then, and I don't see how that takes away anything from the guests at the Poly. There is plenty of space to spread out so all enjoy the evening.

Post Thanks / Like

I almost wonder if its not enforced, or not a rule, just so if you decided to stay at poly, you'd pay for the room upgrade to view the fireworks
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: