Quantcast Dolphin or Mod resorts?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dolphin or Mod resorts?

Haven't tried the dolphin in several years, wondering which we should choose?
    We are 2 adults.
    thx,
    Simbajr4ever!

Planning 2014
    May
    September

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never stayed at the Dolphin but it does look like an interesting place to stay. As far as moderates are concerned, I like Port Orleans French Quarter and Coronado Springs. Personally, I would request a king bed if you select one of these resorts.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I love the location - what's not to love - but the last two times we stayed there, I was sad to see how run-down and dated the rooms are. And the service is really below par, especially compared to Disney resorts. We won't be staying there again unless 1) they do a major renovation and get new management or 2) the room rate drops below $89 a night. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed at the Dolphin last year, and I had a wonderful room that was not in need of renovation. It was in great shape, and seemed as if it had been recently renovated. Not sure, but was lacking nothing. I've also stayed at POR and given the choice, I would definitely pick the Dolphin, which had larger rooms, great service, restaurants and shops, and a great location. For about the same price as a moderate. Plus, there's Disney transportation and you can take part in EMH (though no Magical Express or Dining Plan). I would choose the Dolphin or Swan over the moderates without any hesitation.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Remember that you cannot get ME or DDP at the Swan of Dolfin (if these are important to you).
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

We looked at the Dolphin and Swan for DD's grad. trip in June - but since we like the DDP (don't have to think once ressies are made), we chose to go with POFQ.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back from a week at the Swan and loved it! We would stay there again even over the WDW Epcot Resorts as the price is so much better and the Swan\Dolphin are considered 4 star resorts. We enjoyed the pools and found the beds to be heavenly. We also found the hotel to be so much less chaotic as there were less families around all geared up to go to the parks with you everyday. Our DD, 10, even enjoyed it and didn't miss having a Disney theme. We did miss having a balcony. We don't do the dining plan and thought the car service we used was quicker, both trips, than ME so we didn't miss these services.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a tough choice! I haven't stayed at the Dolphin but my aunt just did and they had a wonderful time, a beautiful room, and a fantastic view of Epcot. I'd really be tempted to stay there for the location alone! If you decide that you want to stay in a WDW resort, I'd recommend CSR, which is pretty close to the Dolphin, and a very short ride from Epcot and the Studios.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Dolphin is nice, but when I visited it, I noticed it didn't have a "Disney" feel to it. Personally, I'd choose the mods any time.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Dolphin.

I've stayed there twice in the last 2 years and both rooms were in perfect condition and the staff was just as good as any. Not once did I feel like I wasn't at Disney World.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

No contest...IMHO the Dolphin is right up there with the best Disney owned deluxe resorts. The location is perfect, the rooms are big and have the best views at wdw. The Dolphin has been undergoing major renovation of the rooms. We have been four times in the last two years and have always had very nice rooms. As far as the disney feel I have never understood that argument. When I am there I am in the very heart of WDW, it has a disney store, Disney guest relations, disney transportation, a view of the fireworks both at Epcot and DHS, all day long kids with Mickey shirts balloons strollers and everything else are walking thru the lobby. They have character dining as well. It is immaculately clean and I have to disagree with the above post about their staff. We have always been blown away at how friendly and accomodating they are (sometimes even more so than Disney). I am as crazy about the Walt Disney Company as anybody and love all things WDW, and the Dolphin is a fantastic resort!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Dolphin.

I've stayed there twice in the last 2 years and both rooms were in perfect condition and the staff was just as good as any. Not once did I feel like I wasn't at Disney World.
    Agree 100% with this comment. I stayed at the Dolphin over Memorial Day and never did I feel like I wasn't at Disney. I found the Dolphin staff to be more attentive to our needs than at some of the Disney owned resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerinvestigator View Post
    As far as the disney feel I have never understood that argument. When I am there I am in the very heart of WDW, it has a disney store, Disney guest relations, disney transportation, a view of the fireworks both at Epcot and DHS, all day long kids with Mickey shirts balloons strollers and everything else are walking thru the lobby. They have character dining as well. It is immaculately clean and I have to disagree with the above post about their staff. We have always been blown away at how friendly and accomodating they are (sometimes even more so than Disney). I am as crazy about the Walt Disney Company as anybody and love all things WDW, and the Dolphin is a fantastic resort!
    I've never understood the "lack of Disney feel" argument, either. Why? Because there are conventioneers? I have run into just as many convention attendees when I've stayed at Boardwalk as well as Yacht and Beach Club. I still saw kids all around at the Dolphin and ate at a character meal. I guess I just don't need Mickey Mouse around every corner to feel like I'm at Disney.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I've never understood the "lack of Disney feel" argument, either. Why? Because there are conventioneers? I have run into just as many convention attendees when I've stayed at Boardwalk as well as Yacht and Beach Club. I still saw kids all around at the Dolphin and ate at a character meal. I guess I just don't need Mickey Mouse around every corner to feel like I'm at Disney.
    I don't think it's a matter of argument, just personal opinion. I don't see too much of Mickey Mouse at any of the mods at which I've stayed, yet they've all had a very Disney "feel", with excellent theming and a lot of back story. Of course the Swan and Dolphin have some of that, but I felt it was more subdued. I didn't even know that there were conventioneers there or otherwise. What I don't understand is why answering a question honestly and supporting it with a personal opinion has to be considered an "argument." Glad you enjoy the Dolphin. I'm sure the staff there is quite friendly and wonderful. You can have my room, because I'll be staying at the mods.
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

We had booked the Swan for our upcoming November trip (2 rooms) as it was cheaper than a moderate resort and for the location (on the boardwalk). However, after free dining was announced we switched to AKL (2 rooms) as free dining was a better deal as there are 6 of us. I have never stayed at the Swan/Dolphin; but it looks gorgeous and I'm not so sure you can beat the location vs the moderates. But at the end of the day, it's ones personal opinion and what makes them happy.
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Argument may not have been the right word (I wrote that post fast on a break between conference calls). Discussion would be a better term. It just seems that many disredit Swan and Dolphin because they aren't "Disney". I have heard many who comment on the number of convention goers there. For the record, I hear the same thing said about Coronado Springs, which I believe both you and I are big fans. My preference is for my resort to be more subtle in Disney theming to offset the parks which allows me to truely relax.

But at the end of the day, it's ones personal opinion and what makes them happy.
    Absolutely! If we all like the same things, the world would be pretty boring !
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies as well DarthMacho. I used the word argument to reflect two opposing views...(I spend everyday in court) and was not attacking anyone for their opinions...I probably should have said I don't understand why people don't get that Disney feeling at the Swan/Dolphin...again no angry discussion intended....but I will gladly take your room LOL!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Argument may not have been the right word (I wrote that post fast on a break between conference calls). Discussion would be a better term. It just seems that many disredit Swan and Dolphin because they aren't "Disney". I have heard many who comment on the number of convention goers there. For the record, I hear the same thing said about Coronado Springs, which I believe both you and I are big fans. My preference is for my resort to be more subtle in Disney theming to offset the parks which allows me to truely relax. Absolutely! If we all like the same things, the world would be pretty boring !
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerinvestigator View Post
    My apologies as well DarthMacho. I used the word argument to reflect two opposing views...(I spend everyday in court) and was not attacking anyone for their opinions...I probably should have said I don't understand why people don't get that Disney feeling at the Swan/Dolphin...again no angry discussion intended....but I will gladly take your room LOL!

I appreciate the clarification. I probably should have realized that there was no hostile intent. To add to the discussion, I have to say that the Dolphin has two things going for it that I hadn't considered (though it still doesn't put it over the top for me) which is 1.) the location, and 2.) the plethora of dining options. That second one is certainly intriguing. I'm still giving away my room...
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Darth let me give you another reason to think about trying the Dolphin. My wife is a nurse and we usually get the Dolphin for between $99 and $159 a night...but the best part is with a starwood membership (which costs nothing) you get a free night every 10,000 points. If you stay a week at the swan or dolphin that means every two trips you get a free night. We also earn starwood pts at other resorts. We have four free nights at the dolphin over the past few years. For the price imho it can't be beat. I just booked the Dolphin for this Dec/Jan and got a $199 and $179/night rate while the moderates were all $259-$300/night. In the words of an old cereal commercial..."Try it DarthMacho...you'll like it"

Post Thanks / Like

I love staying at the S&D. The Dolphin is my personal favorite. The first time we stayed at POR, our first real Disney hotel, my younger nephew was upset that we had to stay there instead of "our" hotel.
    I love the location and that I can walk back to the hotel without having to wait on planes, trains, busses, boats, monorails and automobiles.
    And I've been in the pool at night and been able to see the Epcot fireworks and hear the music from Fantasmic. That's a real Disney feeling.
    And I've always said that their beds are the most comfortable I've ever stayed in. And I worked in the hotel business for 13 years so I've stayed in a few hotels over the years.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    You can have my room, because I'll be staying at the mods.
    I will gladly take your room at the Swan & Dolphin! While you are bussing it to the front of Epcot, I'll be leisurely walking in through the back at the International Gateway!
    If you can dream it, you can do it ...Horizons
    **Been there, done that at Disney!!!**
    Next Trip:
    Post Mother's Day trip May 2016

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: