Quantcast WDW On Short Notice - Part 5 (8/25)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW On Short Notice - Part 5 (8/25)

Primary Cast:
    Me - 26 y/o dude, lost count of how many times I've been to WDW many years ago. 20 times would be a reasonable guess.
    Mom - Indeterminate age. She too has been to WDW many times.
    Dad - Slightly younger than dirt. He has been to WDW many times, but doesn't necessarily remember. (Dad: "Wow! The Boardwalk is nice! Do you have to be a member to stay here?" Mom: "...No. WE stayed here two trips ago! Don't you remember?" Dad: "Hmm?")

Extended Cast:
    Aunt T
    Uncle S
    Cousin S
    Cousin A

Day 5: The Empire Strikes Back

For once we had no breakfast reservations, and we had no intention of doing EMH at the MK, so Dad and I got to sleep in a little bit later than usual and we went to AK for normal opening. We made a beeline for EE to get fast passes, and then we went to Kali River Rapids. There was absolutely no line. I mean no line. From the time we entered the queue, we did not see anyone else until we actually boarded the raft. In fact, there was still no line when the ride ended, so the CM just let us stay on if we wanted to ride again - which we did. Twice was enough for us, especially since the second time we did get rather wet. We went back to EE and saw that there was a very short wait so we went on the standby line and rode it. It still wasn't even time for our FPs, but there was still only a short wait so we went right back on standby. We got to do the safari and ITTBAB before having to leave AK for lunch in Epcot. The safari was very interesting because not only did we go on in the morning, but it was also raining, so it wasn't terribly hot at the time. The animals must have really liked that, because I think I saw the most animals I had ever seen on the safari that time.

Dad and I arrived at the bus area just in time to see the Epcot bus leave, so we got on a bus for the Beach Club and then walked to Epcot from there. That was actually even better than taking the bus directly to Epcot, because we were having lunch at the Rose and Crown. I got my usual meal of the cheese plate appetizer and entrée of fish & chips. I know I already got the UK on my drinking tour with a Strongbow Cider, but with lunch I just had to get a Boddingtons . After lunch my parents decided to go out, and I went to DHS. I actually walked from Epcot to DHS. It wasn't terribly far, and I definitely got there well ahead of the boat.

At DHS I immediately entered the park and then used a snack point to get a drink after the walk. LOL. I went straight to Star Tours to get a FP, then I saw Muppetvision 3D. I noticed that there was no Swedish Chef animatronic this time. Was it just not working, or has it been removed? It's kind of important to the movie, because he has his gun/cannon and destroys the theater. I rode Star Tours again, saw the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, and then did the ToT again. I haven't seen the full Indy show from beginning to end in years. The last time I was there was January 2010, and they did a shortened show because it was too cold outside. They only did the Cairo scene and the camp scene with the plane. This time they did a shortened show because it poured in the early afternoon and they just did the beginning and Cairo.

At ToT I saw the absolute most terrified child I have ever seen. I didn't know humans were capable of experiencing such a level of fear. He was weeping and shaking, and begging his parents not to let him ride, but they ignored him. The only attention they gave him at all was when he tried to run away and they just held him down. He was actually begging other people on line to help him get out. This kid was CLEARLY too afraid to go on the ride. Why would you force him to do it? Those people really made me angry.

Anyway, also in DHS I bought myself an Indiana Jones t-shirt, and the monorail t-shirt that says "Por favor mantenganse..." etc. on it. I left the park, went back to the room, and changed into my nicer clothes because that night we had dinner at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. My parents had been there before, but I hadn't. It was my first time there, and I have to say, I loved it! The food was fantastic. Dad and I each got the charcuterie board appetizer, and all three of us got 24 oz. porterhouses. Our server, Yun, was a delight. She took great pleasure in the fact that it was my first time at the Yachtsman. It was well worth the two credits on the meal plan!

That's it for Day 5. Day 6 was our final day in the parks, but thanks to Hurricane Irene it became our second-to-last day at WDW.
    Been visiting since 1988 - lost count years ago.

Fort Wilderness (back in my day they had trailers! No fancy cabins!)
    Caribbean Beach
    Contemporary (Garden Wing and Tower)
    Polynesian concierge
    Coronado Springs
    All Star Music
    Boardwalk Villas
    All Star Movies

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's funny how some parents are so adamant that their kids try rides that they are clearly terrified of! They're not making good memories there, that's for sure!!

Do you remember which store you got the monorail t-shirt in? I want to pick one up when we go in a couple of weeks!!!

It sounds like you've had a great trip! You've inspired me to drink around WS!!!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

I got the shirt in one of the gift shops on Sunset Boulevard near the ToT. I *think* it was Sunset Club Couture.

Caribbean Beach
    Polynesian concierge
    Coronado Springs
    All Star Music
    Boardwalk Villas
    All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

What a lot of ground you covered in this day! I wonder if threats of Irene kept some people away from the parks?
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    What a lot of ground you covered in this day! I wonder if threats of Irene kept some people away from the parks?
    It actually seemed to be the opposite - threats of Irene kept people IN the parks. I know the resort got VERY busy at the end of our stay because people ended up staying longer - ourselves included. It seemed most of the people we saw were from the Northeast, in particular from the Mid-Atlantic. I never saw so many people wearing Phillies shirts, even at Phillies games! Did the entire city of Philadelphia go to WDW for that week? It makes sense, considering the schools here don't start until after Labor Day. Watching the news at the hotel we stopped at in NC on the drive back home, I saw school closings related to Irene, and my immediate reaction was "It's August! They're all closed!" until I remembered that the South - and most of the country, it seems - was back in school already.

Caribbean Beach
    Polynesian concierge
    Coronado Springs
    All Star Music
    Boardwalk Villas
    All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Oh that makes me mad about those parents, its bordering on child abuse

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club