Quantcast 5people-?2rms atModerate, 1rm atDelux?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 5people-?2rms atModerate, 1rm atDelux?

Hey Disney Experts!
    I need your help! I'm traveling with my husband and 2 kids (5&7) and my Mom. We currently have 2 rooms at CS, she wanted her own space. I know there can be a bit of walking involved at CS, and I also know that Contemporary can accommodate 5 ppl in 1 room. Do we sacrifice Grandma's quiet "space" for a nicer hotel that has monorail access? What do you guys think? Turns out price is comparable for both.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll have 2 bathrooms & showers with 2 rooms.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Good point, but is that worth less walking with small kids?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amy853 View Post
    Good point, but is that worth less walking with small kids?
    We're a walking family, so our kids have been walking to and from school and other places since they 3-4 years old. We didn't even bring a stroller with us (or rent one) when we took them to Disney World when our oldest was 6 and youngest was 3. I'd take the two bathrooms over less walking, so I may not be the best person to answer this question for you.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I'd leave it up to Grandma... tell her the pros and cons, have her make the choice that best suits her. When we went with my mom, we chose 2 rooms at Coronado over 1 deluxe. She enjoyed her own space - and they had a golf cart that came around periodically to take us to the main lunch space.
    DH
    DS - 4

1990 - Off Property
    1994 - CBR
    1995 - GF, WL
    1999 - PO, BC
    2001 - DL, BC, DCL Wonder
    2005 - AKL, WL
    2006 - CSR - Sept

Post Thanks / Like

We do multiple, but connecting, hotel rooms on the family trips because at the end of the long day everyone wants their privacy. We usually do a block of rooms that connect at all star movies or pop. Last year we did a connecting block of rooms at animal kingdom lodge and that was wonderful, but definitely not as affordable as the values
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I would also take 2 mods over 1 deluxe. My mother stayed with my daughter and I a few years ago, she snored so loud that neither of us could sleep. She swears up and down that she doesn't snore.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

I think staying deluxe would be grand but with your mother's request for her own space, you might leave it up to her as others have suggested. Personally, I would go with the deluxe for location. But then I've never traveled with my husband and mother at the same time, and I am thinking that sharing a room could be awkward.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend keeping 2 rooms. Grandma's space will be very handy because she may be tired earlier than you, or wake up earlier. Plus, then your DH won't feel awkward if he wants to walk around in just shorts or something, and when it's time for showers and stuff. More room and privacy for everyone is DEFINITELY worth keeping the two rooms. I can't imagine us spending a vacation with my MIL in the same room as us. No way!

However, there IS a lot of walking at the larger moderates. Have you considered switching to a smaller one, such as Port Orleans French Quarter? There are queen beds in the rooms there now, and it's a much smaller and intimate resort. It's also very quiet. I think you would all enjoy it there. Plus, you "share" amenities with the Port Orleans Riverside resort, so that means two food courts, two pools, two arcades, etc. More to explore for the kids and more options for recreation and stuff. Plus, nice boat ride to downtown Disney from there.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I'd recommend keeping 2 rooms. Grandma's space will be very handy because she may be tired earlier than you, or wake up earlier. Plus, then your DH won't feel awkward if he wants to walk around in just shorts or something, and when it's time for showers and stuff. More room and privacy for everyone is DEFINITELY worth keeping the two rooms. I can't imagine us spending a vacation with my MIL in the same room as us. No way!

However, there IS a lot of walking at the larger moderates. Have you considered switching to a smaller one, such as Port Orleans French Quarter? There are queen beds in the rooms there now, and it's a much smaller and intimate resort. It's also very quiet. I think you would all enjoy it there. Plus, you "share" amenities with the Port Orleans Riverside resort, so that means two food courts, two pools, two arcades, etc. More to explore for the kids and more options for recreation and stuff. Plus, nice boat ride to downtown Disney from there.
    You know your family better than anyone else, but I agree 100% with the above. Also, I don't know if I could travel with my mom for a week, definitely NO on my DH and my mom together. I'm afraid someone wouldn't make it out alive ...

Also, consider that a deluxe is nice for 2 adults and 3 kids, but I would think that 3 adults and 2 kids might be a little cramped. My one complaint about CR (and this is probably true for all the hotels) but there was very little storage area in the bathroom, I felt like I was being suffocated by wet bathing suits and hanging towels all week.

Lastly, another vote for POFQ - a quiet, small resort. Perfect solution to your walking concerns.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

I would 3rd a vote for POFQ. It's so small and quaint, and really lovely. It's in a great area, and the grounds are beautiful.

I'm sure with all this being said, you could request a room close to the main buildings, bus stops, and pool.

Good luck and whatever you choose will be right for you guys. Have fun!
    ~Jen, Jon, Collin, & Brady~

Owners in BLT!!

Next trip: BCV in February 2019!

So many great trips!!
    Off-site the first trips
    Disney Villas(way back!)
    CBR
    AS Mu/Mo/Sp
    CSR
    POR x2
    AKL/BW
    BLT
    BWV
    Poly DVC

1363 miles from WDW - too far!! :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Leave it up to Grandma, but I think 2 rooms is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same situation. Me, husband, MIL and a 5 & 3 y/o. We currently have 2 rooms at POFQ. I would LOVE the Polynesian - but I just think the two bathrooms will be nice. Plus my husband and MIL SNORE...need to return without killing one of them. I also thought that 2 seperate rooms may encourage the kids to NAP (need to return with both of them as well). I'm PRAYING for some kind of discount next year that would allow me to upgrade to 2 rooms at Wilderness - but for now it the Moderate. I have heard that the walking at the POFQ is manageable AND the rooms have Queen beds (another factor).

Post Thanks / Like

I'll go ahead and join in with those who suggested two rooms at POFQ. We've stayed at all the moderate resorts and if a lot of walking is a concern of your POFQ is definitely the moderate for you. Its very compact, not a long walk to anything, no matter where your room is located. Plus its so very quiet and charming! You'll have 4 queen beds and two bathrooms!

We've stayed at the Poly with 5, my hubby, two children and my mom. While there was enough room for all of us to be comfortable, it would have been nice to have an extra bathroom, and DH definitely would rather his privacy. We were only at the Poly for 3 nights so it was fine, but a week long vacation, especially as the kids get bigger, no so much!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    I'll go ahead and join in with those who suggested two rooms at POFQ. We've stayed at all the moderate resorts and if a lot of walking is a concern of your POFQ is definitely the moderate for you. Its very compact, not a long walk to anything, no matter where your room is located. Plus its so very quiet and charming! !
    Beyond that you will also have boat access to Downtown Disney (which is nice), two themed pools (with access to POR),everyone will have a little more space (and thus beless prone ot get on each others nerves quite so much--I love my wife's mom in doses, but 24/7 would be a little much) and remember the kids can always "spend the night" with grandma one night to give you and husband a reprieve from parental duties as well.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I would also have to vote for POFQ! It would be perfect for your family and would save a lot of money.. the rooms are newly refurbed and have queen beds now. They did a beautiful job. The boat to DTD is a nice touch to the resort and you will have access to the amenities at POR which is just a 5 minute walk.
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mistybroussard View Post
    Plus my husband and MIL SNORE...need to return without killing one of them.
    Are you putting them in the other room?

Welcome to INTERCOT!
    Steve (aka brownie)
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your great advice! Please keep it coming! I really hadn't even ever considered POFQ, but I may have to look into it now with all your suggestions! I thought the kids would love the pool at CS, but you all think the kids will like POFQ too? They are 5&7. as a side note, my Mom watches our kids for us during the week, we are close, but I think my husband would prob appreciate the privacy 2 rooms offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Are your kids really good swimmers? Are they 100% independent in the water? If not, I think the POFQ pool/slide will actually be better for them than the CS one. The CS pool is larger, but the slide is longer and faster. If your kids are fish, and really brave, then they might like CS better. However, when I was an older kid (12-14) our family stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and I remember LOVING the pool/slide over there. You can use both pools when staying at either POR or POFQ. The pool at POFQ is, I think, very well suited to most kids 5 and 7.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Are you putting them in the other room?

Welcome to INTERCOT!
    lol....At least one of them...I dont think my earplugs will drown out 2 folks snoring!
    WDW POFQ November 2012

WDW Dixie Landing Feb 2000
    Disney Cruise Feb 2000 (Honeymoon)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: