Quantcast Advice needed for looking great all day in parks - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMom View Post
    I really do not worry about it to much after I am on vacation! I will bring some deordant, a small bottle of corn starch baby powder and a little brush to some time touch up & smell a little decent.
    This is my routine in WDW as well. But I also do not wear a lot of makeup, period.

I tried to deviate from this for a conference in Atlanta last month and had a really hard time with my face running. Freaked out my boss who wasn't used to me wearing makeup, let alone oozing! And the hair... I've never had wilder! I think I will be back to my ponytail once I get to WDW in Sept.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same issues! Short (not long enough for a pony tail or braids) naturally curly hair + Florida= no pictures of me!

I have tried a ball cap, but I don't look great in hats. If the weather gets so out of control that the hair starts looking like Little Orphan Annie, I am reduced to the hat anyway.

I find if I just keep a loose powder compact, I can rid of "the shinys" quickly.

Have fun regardless of how you look!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

I have hair, that once the humidity hits it, goes completely flat. I simply put my hair in a pony tail, put the baseball cap on and I am so ready for WDW

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbella16 View Post
    I am also big on wearing the ponytail braid... especially in disney!! I shower, and I don't even have to blowdry my hair.. I just put it in a braid wet and spray with some hairspray when I'm done.. later in the day when its all dry and I take the braid out, it makes for a nice pretty waved ponytail for the evening!! Simple!!!
    You are so right I love the waves in my hair after I take out my pony-braid!
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Post Thanks / Like

We have been having a super hot summer here in the North East. This is my advice...

LESS IS BETTER!!!

Don't use a lot of products in your hair, or on your face. Minimal make-up!! Best way to go.
    You'll have your sunglasses on most of the day, anyway!
    Keep a small deodorant in your purse and you can finger through your hair.

Enjoy your trip. Remember, beauty is on the inside and OUT. Don't worry too much!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWCrazyKaren View Post
    I have the same issues! Short (not long enough for a pony tail or braids) naturally curly hair + Florida= no pictures of me!

I have tried a ball cap, but I don't look great in hats. If the weather gets so out of control that the hair starts looking like Little Orphan Annie, I am reduced to the hat anyway.
    Have you tried any cute headbands? There are some adorable ones with embellishments, or even just a classic one would be fabulous. They are a great way to keep your hair in place and out of your face on those hot humid days. I love headbands in short hair. Those and the pretty clips that celebrities like Rihanna wore a few months back look great in short hair. I find that the headband prevents me from having "rollar coaster hair" also!
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Post Thanks / Like

1. Ponytail
    2. Blotting tissue
    3. Perspective
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even bother with makeup on my trips unless it is a very special occasion. The people I know love me for who I am, not what I look like.

I have just about convinced myself that make up companies must have different products for different areas of the country. I tried wearing make up on our first trip, and it just ran everywhere. I figured the people who live in Florida must use make up with different ingredients than mine, or they would never make it to work without it being ruined.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Mary kay cream to powder makeup works good. It's better for oily skin so it helps in the heat, also blotters.
    Also waterproof mascara and eyeliner.
    I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my hair. It has natural curl to it but it doesn't bother me here in tn and I always wear it straight. Last year at wdw it was very humid and my hair curled like crazy, so I just didn't fight it and let it go curly. Everyone thought it was cute, but I definatly have to have it in a ponytail while in the parks. I'm going to try a shampoo and conditioner for frizz on the next trip.
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

You are on vacation at Disney! You don't need to look perfect. Besides, when you are happy, then make up is not needed.
    I do have permanent eye liner and lips. Other than that, I don't use anything on my face except for moisturizer with a sunblock, no mascara and carry facial moisturettes. They help alot!
    I figure as long as I am clean and smell good, I do not have to look like I am shopping on fifth avenue. I am at Disney!
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom View Post
    I do have permanent eye liner...
    Oh, this something I've wanted to do for the longest time. Do you love it? I think I would. I've just never personally known anyone to do it.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been going to Disney since I was a little kid...I definitely did NOT think about the way I looked then...but as I got older (I am 32 now)....maintaining my appearance somewhat throughout the day became more and more important. But really, when I think about it, it is always more about how I feel rather than how I actually look. I am sure many women feel a lot worse than they look especially at the end of the day...no one would notice but you!

This is a great thread though because I am going to wdw my honeymoon in a month and it's really the first (and probably only) time I want to look cute and pretty in Disney. On the other hand, I do not want to spend tons of time getting ready or be constantly touching up. So, my advice is to keep it simple and remember that you probably only feel tired, sweaty, and gross but don't actually look that way.
    Polynesian- 1985
    Polynesian- 1987
    Polynesian- 1989
    Polynesian- 1990
    Polynesian- 1993
    Polynesian- 1996
    Polynesian- 2001
    Polynesian- 2006
    Yacht Club- 2007 (surprise!)
    Beach Club- 2008 (august...yeah!)
    Beach Club Villas- 2009 (the whole family)
    Polynesian- 2011 (september- HONEYMOON!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Oh, this something I've wanted to do for the longest time. Do you love it? I think I would. I've just never personally known anyone to do it.

I love it. I had no problem with swelling after the procedure, but know some have. It is so nice not having to bother with eyeliner. The lips, well, they are beginning to fade. And they gave me a terrible time, the swelling for a week was awful.
    But if my eyeliner fades, I will do it again. Just get someone who is clean. I was lucky, a nurse in my area does it as a side business.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Funny timing! Just spotted this article:

Summer makeup and skin care tipsExpert advice from Walt Disney World's cosmetology design and production manager.

After 15 years of creating makeup looks at salons and fashion shoots, Mary Lilly decided to give up cosmetology for the chance to work at Walt Disney World, and to take any job that would open the door to that dream. Twelve years later, Mary manages cosmetology design and production at Walt Disney World, where she and her team bring new characters to life at Disney theme parks and resorts worldwide.

Turning Disney cast members into Rapunzel or Captain Jack Sparrow may not seem to have much in common with the makeup you and I wear, but the challenges are the same: helping skin stay healthy, and keeping makeup looking and feeling fresh in hot summer weather.

Start with Healthy Skin
    Working with young performers, Mary teaches the importance of creating good skin care habits that last a lifetime: getting plenty of rest, drinking lots of water to keep skin hydrated, and using sun protection. "Your skin radiates from the inside out, so a healthy lifestyle goes a long way," she says.

Use sunscreen daily. Mary recommends buying sunscreen in the 30-40 SPF range, and getting in the habit of using it every day. "With sunscreen, the most important thing is consistent use," she says. "Many women don't think about putting sunscreen under makeup, but it works well if you let it dry first. For extra sun protection you can buy moisturizers and foundation that contain sunscreen, but they are not substitutes for the full protection that sunscreen offers."

Cleanse your face at the end of the day. "My mother would wear the same makeup for several days and just touch it up," Mary says, "but I can't stress enough how important it is to remove makeup and sunscreen and to cleanse your pores. Even if you don't wear makeup, a night-time cleansing is important to remove pollution and perspiration from your skin."

There are a variety of makeup removers on the market, including petroleum jelly and baby oil. Mary recommends thoroughly removing eye makeup, then cleansing with your favorite product, whether that's a liquid cleanser or a beauty bar. "Find the cleansing product that works best with your skin type and your budget," Mary advises. "The most important thing is to clean your face every night."

Moisturize in the morning and again at night. To help prevent wrinkles and keep skin radiant, Mary recommends finding a moisturizer you like and using it daily, even if your skin tends to be oily. "Any type of skin can become dehydrated," she explains, "so even people with oily or combination skin need to moisturize. There are great light products on the market that keep moisture in skin without adding oil." The best time to apply moisturizer? "When your skin is still moist from cleaning. That helps to keep moisture in."

Keep Makeup Looking Fresh
    Once you've applied sunscreen and a moisturizer, you're ready for foundation. Mary recommends experimenting to find the foundation that's best for your skin type and provides the level of coverage you're looking for.

Always set your makeup with loose powder. "No matter where you live, whether you're creating a look for day or night, loose powder sets your makeup and helps it stay fresh," Mary says. "This is especially important in hot weather. After applying foundation, dip a puff in loose powder that matches your skin tone and lightly pat it all over your face and on your eyelids. Take a clean brush and gently brush off excess powder, being careful not to rub off your makeup, and you're all set."

Many older women hesitate to use loose powder because it can accentuate wrinkles. Mary suggests blotting the powder with a slightly damp cloth to remove the powdery look without losing the makeup-setting qualities.

Don't overlook your eyebrows. Brows frame your eyes; make sure yours are well-shaped. To add color or definition, Mary suggests using a fine brush to a light touch of eye shadow in a shade that matches your hair. Waxy pencils tend to look harsh.

Blot oil and perspiration during the day. If you start looking shiny during the day, Mary recommends using blotting tissues to remove oil and perspiration, followed by a light touch-up with a compact. "If you add powder to a shiny face, you get blotchy results," she says.

Consider a makeup sealer. For Disney cast members—and anyone who spends hours in the hot sun—Mary recommends using a makeup sealer, which you can find online. "We use them all the time," she says. "Once your makeup is done, close your eyes and gently mist the sealer on. It's very refreshing and it will help your makeup stay in place longer."

Eye makeup for hot weather. Mary prefers powder eye shadows rather than creams, which tend to run. "I put foundation on the eyelids and that acts as a primer, then eye shadow, and I seal it with loose powder. It does not crease during the day."

Eye pencil lasts better than liquid liner. And if you use eye shadow, choose a color that blends with your pencil. The powder shadow will help to set the liner.

Waterproof mascara is best for summer. "Waterproof mascaras are more challenging to remove, but they hold up better in hot weather," Mary says. "Make sure you thoroughly remove your mascara before moving on to your regular cleansing routine."

Keep makeup clean. Start your moisturizing and makeup routines with a clean face and clean hands to avoid adding bacteria to your cosmetics. For mascara, use what's on your wand once and put the container away—don't keep pumping it to get more mascara on the wand.

For Summer, Less Is More
    The secret to summer beauty is using a light touch with cosmetics that look natural and work with your skin type and coloring. "Avoid heavy products that have a tendency to slip off your face," Mary says. "There are great liquid foundations, mousses, and tinted moisturizers that enhance your skin tone and create a naturally beautiful look."

For eye makeup, Mary prefers earth tones for a natural look, but colored eye shadow is fine if you use a light touch. "Women like to play with color and a slight amount of color isn't bad," she says, "but the most important thing about eye shadow is that you're adding definition and dimension to the eye."

Expensive Doesn't Mean Better
    After years of working in the beauty industry, Mary has learned firsthand that expensive beauty products can be a waste of money. "There's no need to pay for expensive packaging and advertising when the tried-and true products work just fine and are much more affordable," she says. "Often manufacturers put the same product into a variety of packages, so only the price is different.

"The best advice I can give you is to buy what works for your skin type," Mary says. "When products are more affordable, you can experiment with different types of cleansers and makeup without breaking your budget."

Enhance Your Natural Beauty
    For Mary Lilly, the keys to summer beauty are a consistent cleansing routine, daily sunscreen use and a light touch with cosmetics. "Makeup should add dimension, highlight your best features and downplay your flaws—which we all have," she says. "It's all about bringing out the best in you."

Sharon O'Brien is a freelance writer in Portland, Oregon.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that was alot of helpful information
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm intrigued by the makeup sealer. That's new to me! Has anyone ever tried it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvdiznee View Post
    Sunglasses are a big help for the eyes. And bright colored clothing, always looks pretty.
    I agree about the clothing. If you are dressed nicely, as in no holes, stains or tears and brightly that is more than half the battle.
    I only use eyeliner and mascara at Disney, along with chapstick for my lips. My moisturizer, Estee Lauder already has sunscreen in it, so I don't use any additional. Plus I like to get some colour from the sun and never use foundation or blush while in WDW. I always get my hair cut short and swear by Paul Mitchell Freeze and Shine hairspray. You put enough on and your hair isn't going to move unless you are on a water ride and get soaked.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

OK...so I spent the day in Six Flags Great Adventure on Friday, and I was taking notice...it was hot out, and you know what...most of us ladies had what I would refer to as...
    "The Theme Park look".
    It's the look we all have after spending a bunch of hours out in the hot sun, going on rides, with the wind running through our hair.
    Yes...The Theme Park look!
    We all had it!! There was NO fresh and pretty!!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Last Christmas my 30 year old niece said no pictures (and thus no presents) until she had her hair and face looking good.

I was stumped because I never thought her hair and face didn't look good. But all she saw in the photos was "messy" hair and an unmade-up face.

Probably the same thing happens at Disney (or any theme park). We see ourselves differently than others do, especially in photos. We just see the frozen in time photo but those that know us see the inner person. And maybe a lot like listening to our own voices - not what we thought at all.

Still, the article from the Disney make-up person is good to know info. I know that pencil sketches are set with some sort of spray on fixative. Makes sense that make-up would be too.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    OK...so I spent the day in Six Flags Great Adventure on Friday, and I was taking notice...it was hot out, and you know what...most of us ladies had what I would refer to as...
    "The Theme Park look".
    It's the look we all have after spending a bunch of hours out in the hot sun, going on rides, with the wind running through our hair.
    Yes...The Theme Park look!
    We all had it!! There was NO fresh and pretty!!
    Julie
    The only time I've seen someone looking fresh and pretty at the end of the day was when they were returning from their rooms, after a shower.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!