Quantcast First Day , need opinion!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Day , need opinion!

Hi we are going nov13-21 2011. We are thinking of not visiting any park the first and last day. We want to surprise our 3 children (10, 4, 4) with a first day dinner. We have never been to Trex or Rainforest Cafe and were wondering which one would be better for the kids?. Any other choice we should try?. We were thinking ouf an early meal 6 or 7pm. Thanks again!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only been to Rainforest Cafe but, in our mall, not at WDW. We haven't tried T Rex yet so, I'm no help there either...

But, I did want to suggest Ohana's. We either end or begin with Ohana's and we have found the earlier you eat dinner here the better because most reservations are later to coinside with Wishes.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Now I have not been to any of the three(3) restaurants at disney so far brought up in this thread.... BUT

I have been to Rainforest Cafe in my hometown (nothing to right home about) and I am assuming that T-Rex is very similar to Rainforest... However being a Dino lover myself I would have to say given the choice I would choose T-Rex

BUUUUT as Jennifer brought up... OHANA might be a great entertaining dinner (dare i say cheaper and better food). I have never been there but based on the rave reviews i am going 3 times on my next trip.
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

we are actually going the same dates, and are also planning on not doing a park the first day.

We have reservations for Chef Mickey's that night to still get us some of the Disney feel, and see the classic Disney characters.

Between the two you have listed I would say it more depends on your kids interestes and whether or not you think they may be scared by dinosaurs or not.

Post Thanks / Like

We love both of them. It's pretty much identical food you just need to decide if you like the rainforest theme or the dinosaur theme. They are both awesome and our kids love them both equally. On our last trip we kinda took a preference to Trex because a server at Rainforest dropped a big arm load of dishes right against my hubbies leg and it splashed all over him and his food and they didn't even take it off the bill. That's the first time we ever didn't leave a tip somewhere. Aside from that incident though we've always loved it and will continue to visit them both.
    Upcoming Trip - 9/2012
    9/18/10-9/25/10 POP (kids stay & play free)
    9/17/08-9/24/08 POP (free dining)
    9/2000 CBR
    9/1998 Offsite
    9/1996 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeike View Post
    Hi we are going nov13-21 2011. We are thinking of not visiting any park the first and last day. We want to surprise our 3 children (10, 4, 4) with a first day dinner. We have never been to Trex or Rainforest Cafe and were wondering which one would be better for the kids?. Any other choice we should try?. We were thinking ouf an early meal 6 or 7pm. Thanks again!

Rainforest Cafe' Menu

Just in case, I have attached the Rainforest Cafe Menu so you can start planning on what to get!

With the age of your younger kids, T-Rex may be a little overwhelming, the older one would probably love it if they are into Dinosaurs.

We eat at Rainforest almost every time during our visits....We LOVE It! We have always really enjoyed our meal.......but we do not go to Rainforest Cafe just for the food. The whole experience is wonderful. We do not have a RFC in our town or even our State so DISNEY World is where we get our Safari On!

There is so much to see when you enter the restaurant from LARGE salt water fish tanks that are connected by tubes with fish swimming through to the Elephant Room, the Gorilla Room and the large jungle cats that you are surrounded by. You are also entertained and amazed by the re-occurring burst of rain showers inside the restaurant without you getting wet of course.

Little Kids and us Big Kids can set and watch the animals all move randomly when the time is right.

We have never eaten at T-Rex however we have walked in as well as checked out their gift shop. We Love Ohana's as a PP has also suggested but it's way too much food for us, however I could go for a plate of those SHRIMP right now! A lot of food for one's first night and I'm not sure if the kids would be as surprised as they would with Rainforest!

Which ever you choose, ENJOY and have a GREAT time.

We have 63 more days!

Steamboat Willy
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I've made it our regular routine to do just that ... no park on arrival day or departure day. Our last trip in April we did Spirit of Aloha Luau, although I enjoyed it I think my 2 DS were a tad too young to really enjoy it.

Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex are owned by the same company, so the menus are similar (if not identical). It depends on your childrens' interest ... I have 2 DS so it's going to be T-Rex for us! We have been to Rainforest several times and the atmosphere is exciting. I anticipate T-Rex to be the same.

Maybe it would also depend on where you want to travel on arrival day? I am excited to check out DTD as well so that will be our first day's activities along with T-Rex for dinner. Rainforest is located outside AK, so not as much to do before/after your meal. Something to consider...

You may also want to consider Mickey's Backyard BBQ. That was the highlight of our last trip, our boys had a BLAST! The food was great, and the interaction between the characters and the kids on the dancefloor was priceless. The live band was fantastic! It was a really REALLY fun night for all of us.

Whatever you decide, HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
    Maybe it would also depend on where you want to travel on arrival day? I am excited to check out DTD as well so that will be our first day's activities along with T-Rex for dinner. Rainforest is located outside AK, so not as much to do before/after your meal. Something to consider...
    Rainforest is in both AK and DTD, so you could still go to Rainforest and enjoy DTD if that is what you wish to do. We are trying TREX on our next visit. Have a great time!!
    Brian

December 9 -December 18, 2015 POR
    Sept 24 - Oct 4, 2009, POFQ
    September, 2008 - CBR
    April, 1988-offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I've eaten at several Rainforest Cafe's and they are all the same. Our first visit was at AK...any Rainforest Cafe I go to after that just reminds me of Disney.

My DH seems to really like it there because of the wide range of menu choices.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Either would be a great choice for your first night. I might lean a bit toward T-Rex, just because of the dinosaurs. But dinner and some time around DTD is a great way to spend your first day. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for your help, I am checking online each restaurant including Ohana which is a good option although staying at Riverside how do we get here? take a bus to TTC and then monorail?. Really love all this planning time with the family.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zeike View Post
    Thanks to all for your help, I am checking online each restaurant including Ohana which is a good option although staying at Riverside how do we get here? take a bus to TTC and then monorail?. Really love all this planning time with the family.

Ed
    From Riverside, I would take MK bus and then from MK gates, take Monorail or boat across the Lagoon.... whatever your fansy is at that moment! - or the line/wait...

Just make sure to allow for ample travel time to get to the Poly for your ADR's! I would say at least an hour. If you get to the Poly early, then walk around and explore, you WON'T be disappointed.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
    It would also depend on where you want to travel on arrival day? I am excited to check out DTD as well so that will be our first day's activities along with T-Rex for dinner. Rainforest is located outside AK, so not as much to do before/after your meal. Something to consider...
    There is also a Rainforest in DTD.

Menus are similar but not identical.

Both places are fun to have a meal at and the food is really pretty good.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

You could take the boat from Riverside to DTD and then a bus to Poly if you decided on Ohannas.
    Next trip Oct. 2013 Yatch Club Resort club level

Post Thanks / Like

I have eaten at all 4 restaurants in this string so far and my suggestion would be O'Hana's or Chef Mickey's. We do O'Hana's the first night and do t-rex or rainforest on the last day for lunch. We like to get some last minute shipping in on our last day and the T-rex is our new lunch of choice for that day. Really it’s not that much different then Rainforest but "new" to us.

We always do O'hana's the first night because
    1. We NEED some Disney
    2. We usually can get a pre-fireworks meal in and go down to the beach.

As mention above. Take the boat to DTD and the bus from there. The boat ride at night is really relaxing and special.

'76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by renecat View Post
    You could take the boat from Riverside to DTD and then a bus to Poly if you decided on Ohannas.
    That would take alot longer than just taking a bus to mk. We stayed at por last year and one evening we took the boat to dtd and then caught a bus to our ressie and we were late. The boat moves Very slow! I would rather take the boat from mk to the poly, its relaxing too and not as long , in my opinion.
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Share This Thread On Social Media: