Quantcast Are we getting value for money????

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Are we getting value for money????

After listening to the latest podcast I was interested by the opinion that we are getting our moneys worth in the parks. Ticket price inceases, extortionate dining prices ( counter service too ), very slow rehab and updating programs that (lets be honest) are a bit behind the times. We all provide Disney with their revenue - are we getting a good enough return ?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends?

I just got back from a weekend in Las Vegas. Granted, Vegas is adult entertainment, but for me so is WDW. If I consider the flight, hotel, food, taxi/transportation, shows and (gulp) gambling cost I would have saved a lot of money going to WDW for 3 or 4 days and maybe have a better time.

Now, if I compare it to a camping trip... I think you know the answer. Cheaper, different, but a better value for sure.

I go to Disney knowing it is expensive, but I feel it is worth the price. As they mentioned in the podcast, consider what you get for the price. A 7 day hopper ticket will run you about $46 per day. Go to 2 parks for a total of 8 to 12 hours, what do you get? All you can ride, all of the shows... That is like going to 4 or 5 movies! It is definately cheaper than a concert or most live theater. So, I think the park tickets are an OK value. The hotels, those deluxes are really expensive, but I have the option of going to the values to save money. If they doubled the price of everything for next year I probably wouldn't go, but I guess that's why they don't.

Yes, the could create new attractions and rehab old ones at a faster rate, but that will just start the 100s of threads here at Intercot a bit mure quickly about how people liked something the old way or prefered whatever was there to what came after it.

Inflation is theft, but it is also reality. Prices are going to go up and Disney will charge what the market will pay. If they have problems filling rooms and parks they'll offer discounts and other promotions.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

For my friends and I, it is a good value. We like to go to nice restaurants. We have found that, for a little more $, you can get a much nicer meal (table service) than grabbing a hot dog with fries. The price differential is not that great.

Plus, we like to drink. Staying on property is close to the parks...but the best part is Disney transportation. Nobody has to drive...nobody has to be a 'designated driver.' There is very little responsibility. We love that element. Even Disney's Magical Express from the airport...genius. These are the kinds of things that impress us and keep us coming back.
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

I always feel its a good value.

We do other vacations, beaches all over the place, Kentucky a summer ago, camping on occasion. Each one is expensive sometimes more or less so then WDW but what we always find is that we get comparably more for our money at WDW.

We're never at a loss for things to do. And the restaurants are pretty awesome. I'm not a big CS fan to begin with so we don't do many. But we love TS restaurants and most are pretty accurately priced for a major vacation zone. Go to any vacation area and you'll find that restaurants are more pricey then other areas.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO its not worth the value for a short trip, but if you plan on going on a trip for 5 days or longer its tends to be cheaper for us to go to disney than it does the beach.

The price increases are very annoying, for the same price we paid to stay at a moderate during the busy season 3 years ago, we'll stay at a value resort in value season in sept 2012. That of course is barring no discounts, which I believe we'll see.

We love Disney, but without discounts I'm not sure how often we would go.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that has upset me is that since the last time we were there in 2008 the prices have gone up, which we expect, but they cut back on the nightly shows. I was upset to see that wishes and fantasmic do not play evey night. They are 2 shows that we really love to watch but now might have to miss. With that being said we still LOVE Disney and continue to go as often as we can.
    1996 Off site
    2000 Off site for Honeymoon
    2005 Off site
    2006 All Star Sports
    2008 POR
    2014 POR
    2019 POR Royal Room

Next Trip - November 2020 Riviera Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belle1217 View Post
    The only thing that has upset me is that since the last time we were there in 2008 the prices have gone up, which we expect, but they cut back on the nightly shows. I was upset to see that wishes and fantasmic do not play evey night. They are 2 shows that we really love to watch but now might have to miss. With that being said we still LOVE Disney and continue to go as often as we can.
    Belle, FYI, they are showing Fantasmic each night in the summer months! (Not sure if that helps you though.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I think that a lot of what you are getting when you vacation in WDW is intangible. There are the advantages of being at a resort with many components, many "magical" moments, the special way that many people feel when they are there.) It is very difficult to assign value to some of these items, and how important they are to you is a personal decision. Therefore, I think that the answer to this person will vary from person to person.

I have a feeling that many people on Intercot, the "Super Fans," will agree that there is still value to a WDW vacation, although this value may have decreased over the years. (Especially those of us who take the time to relax and "smell the roses" when they are there, find hidden Mickeys, etc.) Others, who aren't as "into" Disney as we are and may not see/ appreciate all of the little details, would consider a WDW vacation to be a big waste of money. (The "it's just a theme park" people would fit into the later category.)
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

No, value has gone way down...

We can compare against others all we want, but here's the truth.

Disney used to set the bar. They no longer do.

Over the past ten years or so, the quality has gone down. There have been cuts in just about every department. Groundskeeping isn't what it was years ago. Nice? Yeah, it's acceptable I guess, but it's not on par with what it was. Maintenance has gone down, they are more reactive than proactive. Unsafe? No, but again not great compared to years past. Entertainment has been slashed across the board, from the amount of performances to things like the number of shells in the fireworks displays.

All while my costs have gone up. Now, if my costs go up and. I get the same amount of "perks" then I don't say value has gone down. But, spending more for less, in every definition of value I've seen, says value has gone down.

I like spending money, I don't mind it all. But I do want something in return. I WILL spend my money, but I'm not sure Disney deserves it. For the near future at least, they are not going to get any more from me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure we get good value, but we do get a bang for the buck unlike any other. We also get convenience - dining, attractions, transportation, cast-member service, and wonderfully themed hotels with amenities.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking since most of you have to travel to come here it can definitely be more to think about and weigh cost vs. perks.

I live 45 minutes from WDW in Lake Wales. We are a two income degree holding household, but our combined income is less than $30k a year.

So for us the Florida resident payment plan has helped a lot. my DH doesn't like Disney so he never goes. It's just myself and my 2 sons. My youngest turns 3 in two weeks so he'll no longer be free.

Doing the payment plan for me [the seasonal] and I buy my oldest the play 4 day pass, is a good deal for us.

Plus in that you can pack food at Disney helps. I typically will pack all the food drinks for the boys and snacks. And I'll eat one counter service for the day at the park.

My best friend and I go about 1-2 times a month for a girls night out and we do counter service. I take the boys about once every other month. The summer is blacked out [and too hot!]

So really for us we do get the value for our money. I do wish things like food and lodging were cheaper though for those traveling in.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely get more value the more days you visit the parks. Over the last 10 years, we've taken 7 trips to WDW. All have been with stays at Disney resorts; all but one have been with theme park visits of four days or more. The exception was the trip we returned from last week, which, not coincidentally, we felt gave us the least value.

The reason was a simple math equation -- fewer days in the parks with larger crowds meant we were able to see and do less. Even with taking advantage of late park closings and an evening EMH, we still couldn't do as much as if we had more days in the parks. We just didn't have as much money or time to spend this year.

We won't make this mistake again, but with higher ticket prices, it will mean fewer trips for us. Yes, quality overall has decreased, but I believe there is still great entertainment value in a WDW vacation, if you have enough time and, paradoxically, spend a little more money.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I think so! Just came back from a 15 day stay. Ate at some nice buffets with my free dining plan and used enough diesel fuel from hoping from park to park back and forth from my resort to make me feel a little guilty. My only gripe was the parks didn't stay open 24-7

Post Thanks / Like

This also depends on how you look at the price and how it breaks down after you give WDW your money. The economy is bad, prices are up and Disney has to follow suit or else really don't make money. The money we give them goes towards electricity, water & sewer, food, maintenance (grounds, rides, hotels and even just the upkeep of keeping everything looking nice are some examples), CM's, fuel for the buses (which we all know is REALLY expensive these days), pest control, security and firemen, not to mention so much more behind the scenes such as those who work on the costumes, those who work on the makeup and hair for performers. Also the expenditure of the items and tools needed to keep the place running along with merchandise for us to buy. This is just some of the things one has to consider if you really want to look at whether or not you're getting a value for your WDW vacation. When you have a place that's twice the size of Manhattan to run, that's a lot of money you're forking over just to keep it running and your employees satisfied as well as your guests. In other words, yes, I think I'm still getting a value.
    28 times to WDW and still going since 1984!! Most recent visit: November/December 2011...Far too long since my last visit! :'(

Personally, I believe it didn't start with a mouse. It started with a man that had one of the greatest imaginations in this world.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt its expensive, but everything is expensive these days....before our last trip I considered taking a trip to the mountains....when I booked the hotel, looked at gas to travel (same distance as Disney), area restaurants (actually a little pricier than Disney) and prices of area attractions, I said forget it we'll go to Disney its a better deal. When you consider you may pay $15 per person to play one round of Goofy golf that may last an hour to an hour and a half, then figure in cost per person to visit a small local aquarium $20 per person and you've only covered maybe 4 hours...yes, I think Disney is a good vacation deal.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

It is to me. Our family (3-4 on a trip) alternates each year with the western national parks.
    The costs run the same since the budget does not alter much. The western trips even have about the same amount of walking .
    WDW's days are more fun filled and the western trips more awe filled.
    I hope to not have to give up either.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

We definitely think it is! We go to WDW every other year and take different vacations in between, and we always feel we get more value for our money at WDW than at any other destination. Not that we don't have a good time at the other destinations, we do, but we have a GREAT time at Disney and do so much more.

Just one example: we went to the Wisconsin Dells one year, stayed four days, had to pay for everything seperately and our final bill would have covered over a week at Disney!

As someone else mentioned there are also the intangibles that you get at WDW that we just don't find at other destinations. You can't put a dollar amount on a wonderful memory. And, as a family, we all have so much fun doing all there is to do in Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops. Didn't mean to post twice!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post
    I think that a lot of what you are getting when you vacation in WDW is intangible. There are the advantages of being at a resort with many components, many "magical" moments, the special way that many people feel when they are there.) It is very difficult to assign value to some of these items, and how important they are to you is a personal decision. Therefore, I think that the answer to this person will vary from person to person.

I have a feeling that many people on Intercot, the "Super Fans," will agree that there is still value to a WDW vacation, although this value may have decreased over the years. (Especially those of us who take the time to relax and "smell the roses" when they are there, find hidden Mickeys, etc.) Others, who aren't as "into" Disney as we are and may not see/ appreciate all of the little details, would consider a WDW vacation to be a big waste of money. (The "it's just a theme park" people would fit into the later category.)

Well said.

Post Thanks / Like

whether or not something is "worth the price" is subjective. I have been other places and spent less, but did less and wished I was @ WDW. Inflation is inevitable and we know if we're going to WDW, it's not gonna be cheap. It can be done either less expensively or all out depending on the personal preference. Example: we like to sit on our balcony alot and enjoy a cocktail or two. Therefore, we want a great view and are willing to pay more. It's worth it to us. Whereas, some may only be in their room to shower and sleep and see no point in the extra expense for a room with a "view". The worth, for us, comes from knowing that there are a gazillion things to do at any given time, for any given age, or that we can simply relax and stroll around and enjoy.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL