Quantcast May 2011 - The SURPRISE Birthday Trip Day One Wrap-Up and Day Two Begins!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile May 2011 - The SURPRISE Birthday Trip Day One Wrap-Up and Day Two Begins!

Once the kids floated down from Cloud Nine, we pulled up to check-in and had the valet start unloading our bags. I went in to check in to the room and left DW outside to supervise the unloading. The two CM's at the counter were great! The woman who checked me in and her manager were so friendly and really, really helpful. When DW showed up with the kids, they made a huge fuss and when DD9 told them we were here to celebrate her birthday they really made a fuss. They filled out a birthday button for her, gave DW and DD9 roses, and basically gushed over us.

Since we checked in late our room was ready, so we headed right upstairs where our bags joined us shortly. I just have to say that the 1 BR villas at Kidani are just gorgeous. I thought BLT's 1BR's were nice, but this one was even better. Our master bedroom and bathroom were HUGE and very lavish. The walk-in shower was bigger than some hotel rooms I've stayed in and the soaking tub was one of the more modern, form-fitting ones vs. the soaking tub style the other DVC rooms have.

Everything was marble and dark wood ... very elegant and classy looking. Can't say enough about it. We didn't have a Savannah view room, but looked out right over the pool area and actually could see animals if we looked off to the right.

We decided to head out and find some food, since everyone was hungry. Originally we were going to eat dinner at Boma, but then we noticed Sanaa was in Kidani and didn't require us to hoof it over to Jambo House so we decided to try there instead. We walked down and were seated (with no ADR on a Friday night) in about five minutes.

The menu is Indian inspired and the restaurant decor is about what you'd expect for AKV ... lots of wood, sort of dark, but with nice atmosphere. The servers were really attentive and quick and before we knew it we had drinks and were waiting for our order to arrive.

I had a combo offering with spicy Durban chicken and braised beef short ribs. It was served with basmati rice and I had a glass of red wine with it. I'm not actually sure what it was, but the server recommended it and it was good. The kids both had pizza ( ) and DW order Tandoori shrimp. I realy liked what I had a lot. I[ve had some really good Indian food over the years (including many "home cooked" meals from folks I worked with) and I thought this was very tasty. Not quite spicy enough for me, but probably more than enough for the average palatte. DW doesn't care for Indian food, so she thought hers was just okay. For dessert I got the sampler, which was chocolate cake, tropical fruit Kulfi, and chai cream. That was tasty, as well. Everyone else just had sorbet.

As we were wrapping up, we got a nice surprise when all the servers came up and sang an African-style happy birthday to DD, complete with bongo drums. They presented her with a nice card, hand signed by all the staff on duty. Great touch and she was beaming.

After that the kids were begging Daddy to take them to the pool, so we went down and swam for about 1/2 hour before heading up to bed. We had to wake up bright and early on Saturday morning, since we were switching resorts and still wanted to get as much park time in as we could.

Saturday, May 21st - As I said above, we woke up early, packed up what little stuff we had brought in with us, and headed over to Jambo House to grab breakfast at Boma. Like many buffet breakfasts in Disney World, it was pretty average. Pretty much the same stuff they have at all the other breakfast buffets, except for a small table that had some African style dishes. The Jungle Juice (fruit juice blend) got good reviews from everyone, though. In a funny moment, when our waiter brought Taylor a cupcake with a candle in it, she immediately leaned over and blew out th candle. The waiter kind of looked at her, reached in his pocket, lit the candle again, and proceeded to sing happy birthday. Taylor proceeded to turn red with deep embarrassment, eliciting some laughs from Mom and Dad.

Next up as we finish out day two ... a new surprise for Taylor and time spent in Epcot.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the gushing at check-in. We haven't seen it for awhile, but I know it really can start your trip right with that kind of positive interaction from the CMs.

The room sounds super-nice. The bathroom, especially the soaking tub, sounds heavenly! Are you sure you want to only stay one night here?!

Sadly, DH and DS have expressed zero interest in both Sanaa and Boma, so it's not likely I'll be dining here anytime soon. However, it sure sounds like it was a good meal with tasty desserts.

when our waiter brought Taylor a cupcake with a candle in it, she immediately leaned over and blew out the candle. The waiter kind of looked at her, reached in his pocket, lit the candle again, and proceeded to sing happy birthday. Taylor proceeded to turn red with deep embarrassment, eliciting some laughs from Mom and Dad.
    Hey, she's NINE now, Ian - no embarrassing the girl! Sounds like she's got a surprise coming that will make up for it, though.

I hope that your resort transition is a quick one so that you can get to Epcot!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Good start Ian!!

Post Thanks / Like

TOO funny about the cupcake. That sounds like something I'd do.

Your 1 bedroom at Kidani sounds really nice. Too bad my family (myself included) has ZERO desire to stay at AKL.

How was the pool area?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Feel like I've heard that Sanaa story before......oh yeah, I have.

I love, love that jungle juice. I'm assuming it's the same as you get at Tusker House and Ohana. YUMMY!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great start! Can't wait to read more about Taylor's birthday celebration.
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you really enjoyed Kidani! I love indian food too, and Sanaa was delicious to us, and I loved the views of the animals while eating.
    Funny about the Jungle Juice...Disney has lots of names for this particular flavor juice. Its the same juice as the "Lili koi" juice at Kona, and also the exact same juice as the "orange guava" juice in the Poly club level lounge. Same juice, different names!..Just a little Disney tidbit for ya'!
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Your 1 bedroom at Kidani sounds really nice. Too bad my family (myself included) has ZERO desire to stay at AKL.
    You know as much as we absolutely loved the room, both DW and I ultimately agreed that the location is too much of an obstacle for us to ever consider AKV as a full-length vacation resort.

It's a shame they did so little to integrate the resort with AK, because it really does put it at a disadvantage. I can't believe they didn't build a boat over to the theme park or something like all the other parks have. It's disappointing really. I can't rank AKV over any of the DVC properties like BLT, BCV, or BWV simply because of the proximity benefits they have to MK/Epcot.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    How was the pool area?
    Very nice, although we didn't get to see the big water play area in action since that had been shut down for the night. Looked very cool, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mouseketeer mom View Post
    Funny about the Jungle Juice...Disney has lots of names for this particular flavor juice. Its the same juice as the "Lili koi" juice at Kona, and also the exact same juice as the "orange guava" juice in the Poly club level lounge. Same juice, different names!..Just a little Disney tidbit for ya'!
    Yeah, actually that's something I find a bit disappointing really. Seems like back in the old days each spot would have had it's own unique beverage instead of the same recycled one with a faux name change.
    Ian șOș

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great first day!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to hear about your stay at AKL. My son always wants to stay there, but has the same concerns about the location. We love to visit, though, and love Sanaa. Glad your daughter is getting lots of birthday attention. Too cute!
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Ian
    You know as much as we absolutely loved the room, both DW and I ultimately agreed that the location is too much of an obstacle for us to ever consider AKV as a full-length vacation resort.
    We stayed at AKL (Jambo) for a few days and had a similar reaction. Loved the room. Loved the resort, but it was just too far. We spend the least time at AKL so it doesn't make sense for us. Last time we didn't get to try out the water area, so I might try AKL one more time for a short trip.

Your trip sounds great. Can't wait to hear more.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yeah, I really don't understand why Disney put AKL at such a disadvantage over the other deluxe resorts. The fact that they created no direct transportational tie-in between the lodge and it's associated theme park is just odd.

All of the MK area resorts, including WL, have direct transportation to Magic Kingdom. YC/BC and BW have direct access to both Epcot and the Studios.

The fact that you're completely reliant on either car (less than ideal) or bus (flat out of the question) to get anywhere from AK is what crosses it off our list, which is a shame. It's a beautiful resort.
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Ian!!

That is strange that AKL is so remote. Honestly, we have never been over there. I know everyone raves about Boma, but it's a hike and just not convenient for us. I agree about no direct transportation link. For example, if we eat at O'Hana or Chef Mickey's you can get on a monorail, walk or boat back to EITHER the Magic Kingdom or monorail over to Epcot...options are GOOD! My family likes to hit a park after dinner. AKL means a bus to somewhere.

Glad you guys had a great day! Taylor must be so excited!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the car. We are local so we always have one. If we didn't I doubt we would stay at AKL.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Taylor is already enjoying her birthday celebration!

Your description is making me wish we had chosen Kidani over Jambo House for our most recent stay though I'm sure we'll eventually get around to staying there as well.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Great end to the first day. Funny about the cupcake!!
    TRACEY
    șOș

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Our family feels much the same as many others about AKL. While its a beautiful resort, and we loved what little time we've spent there (a one night stay, then a two night stay), the location is what would keep us from making it our "base" resort for a whole trip. We are Ok for a first night before our trip "officially" begins, or to extend a vacation by adding a few nights to the end of a trip, but that's about the extent of our desire to stay there. Its really ashamed too since its such a unique resort.

Glad to see the birthday girl's trip start out so great! We were just there in March to celebrate a 9th birthday as well and many CMs went out of their way to make him feel very special!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reporting.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!

AKL should at least have a walk way to the park.
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL