Quantcast Steroid Era & The Hall of Fame

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Steroid Era & The Hall of Fame

Ok. Here we go with my annual Baseball question.

The Steroid Era. I see that there are many players who have either been accused or proven to have taken steroids but are still playing.

Were these players banned at any point. If so, how long for?

Finally, if guilty will these players ever be considered for the Hall of Fame?

If they would be considered do you think it's right?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

So far anyone with even rumors to their names that they have used Steroids or PED's haven't come close to the Hall of Fame.

McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Ramirez will all never get into the HoF. I'd be in favor of having a "Steroid Wing" of the Hall where everyone linked to it would go if they would have made it, but no way should they be allowed to go as it stands now.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

The bans didn't really start until recent years. A lot of those guilty in the "steroid age" are based on rumor and testimony from witnesses, but there wasn't testing back then like there is now so many can never be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, but the stigma will always be there.

Players are selected through election by either the Baseball Writers Association of America, or the Veterans Committee, neither of which seem to want to induct those marred by steroid accusations.

I'm kind of in the asterisk* camp, kind of like what WDWfanatic742 is saying. There is no denying some of these players achieved greatness, but they cheated. If they ever made it in there needs to be some notation or separation between them and the other inductees. However, I think MLB is trying so hard to distance itself from the steroid scandal that it will never happen, at least not any time soon.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm way too tired to look this stuff up so I'm going to post what I "think" I remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reservoir Dog View Post
    Were these players banned at any point. If so, how long for?
    Testing and suspensions began in 2003. Prior to that, there was no rule or penalty on steroid use. Since 2003 there has been testing with a 50 game suspention on 1st offense and 100 game suspension on second. I think lifetime ban on third wich no one has had.

Finally, if guilty will these players ever be considered for the Hall of Fame?
    Not sure about third offense, but other than that, yes, they are eligible with consideration to the HoF.

If they would be considered do you think it's right?
    Personally, I would try to think and see if they would have been a HoF'er without steroids. If so, then yes, I would vote for them.

As Maryanne said, it's up to the BBWAA.

On a side note, I wish the veterans committee had never gotten involved.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I like to play by the rules and make judgements based on them, but MLB is making it difficult. They need to pick a stance and stick to it, implementing the consequences across the board. For instance, if a player is removed from consideration for the HOF due to "cheating," then all of the player's records should be wiped. The home run record of 73 should not stand if Bonds is excluded for Steroids/HGH.

I think that a special area should be devoted to the "steroid era." It is a significant point in baseball's history and should be told as part of the story. However, only the ERA should be inducted, while noting some of the more outstanding examples. The players should not be officially inducted.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: