Quantcast 9PM Illuminations and 10:30 Fantasmic Do-able?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 9PM Illuminations and 10:30 Fantasmic Do-able?

My first solo trip is fast approaching and I want to fit in as much as possible!

My kids are chickens in alot of ways, and 2 of them are sensitive to loud noises. They don't want to do Illuminations. (I have seen it before though) And my oldest can be a scared-y cat - so between scary themes and loud noises, Fantasmic hasn't been an option yet. (and I've NEVER seen it and I don't see it in the near future with my kids) SO I wanted to take advantage of this solo trip, and do all the things the kids aren't interested in/won't do. In just the last couple of weeks, Disney has added lots of EMH for Destination D weekend. There are two Fantasmic shows on Friday night! (I've heard it is much easier to get a spot in the second show) So is it possible that I could get both Illuminations and Fantasmic in?!?! And if so - what would be the best (fastest) mode of transportation to get there? The boat? Walk?
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    11/11 - All Star Vacation Home & FWC
    5/11 - POFQ - D23 Destination D
    05/10 - POR & BC
    1976 - 1st visit & many childhood visits after!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Last summer, when they would do Fantasmic!, I rmeember the transportation folks saying if you want to see the last Fantasmic! you need to be IN the park before closing. The park closed at 10pm with a Fantasmic! at 10:30 or so.

A 9pm Illuminations would make it very hard to get to MGM for 10pm. The boat is out of the question, you would need to hoof it, and that would also mean taking the shortcut through the Boardwalk. Even when you get to MGM, you're probably a good 10 minutes walk from the theater.

If you are a quick walker and get a spot for Illuminations at International Gateway, that is you best shot. On the way, hope that there is still room in the theater by the time you get there.

Oh yeah, you'll also need park hoppers too.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you can do it! Make sure you are right by the international gateway during Illuminations. The bridge between the UK and France is a terrific spot to watch and it's very close to the gateway.

It's approximately a 12 minute show, but figure you'll finish around 9:20. Do NOT get in a boat. They are extremely slow and you'll probably not going to make it to the Studios by 10pm. If you walk at a good pace, it should take you about 20 minutes. Even if it takes you 30 minutes, you'll be there by 9:50.

It will be a bit of walking at the end of what most like will be a long day, but I think you'll enjoy both the shows!
    DisneyRoe <3

Walt Disney World College Program Cast Member Fall '04 - Space Mountain Operations

Disney PR Professional Intern
    Spring 2008 - Celebration, FL

DVC Spring '08

"You see, the most fantastic, magical things can happen-- and it all starts with a wish!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for your input! I have never walked from Epcot to DHS. Is it a clear path? Or do I need to know my way around pretty well?
    (I visited the Boardwalk last year - but only had to get across the lake, as we had stayed at the Beach Club for a couple of nights)
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    05/10 - POR & BC

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's actually a beautiful stroll (though I don't think you will have that much time to "stroll"). Just take the bridge from EPCOT and follow the path to the left to the Boardwalk. You will see the path along the waterway to the Studios. Along the way, you will pass the back of the Boardwalk (the pool and the back buildings of the resort. It will lead you in between where the boat docks and the buses drop off.

Have fun and good luck!
    DisneyRoe <3

Walt Disney World College Program Cast Member Fall '04 - Space Mountain Operations

Disney PR Professional Intern
    Spring 2008 - Celebration, FL

DVC Spring '08

"You see, the most fantastic, magical things can happen-- and it all starts with a wish!"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know I think it would be tough to do myself....just saying....

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Default You can do it!!!

We did it last year with an 11 year old and an 8 year old in tow. It was a tight fit but you can make the trip, get a drink (go to the bathroom) and find a seat. It's vacation, you can rest next week at work. LOL
    May 1985-School Trip
    Dec 1989-Family Trip
    Oct 1996-5th Anniverary Trip-POR
    Jan 2001-Westgate Lakes (WL)
    Jan 2002-WL
    Jan 2003-WL
    Jan 2004-Wydham Palms
    Dec 2004-Cypress Pointe (CP)
    Jan 2006-CP
    2007-The Year of the Annnual Pass
    Jan 2007-CP
    June 2007-CP
    Nov 2007-CP
    Dec 2009-CP
    June 2010-CP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SingingLights View Post
    It's vacation, you can rest next week at work. LOL
    That's my philosophy!

I am going to need a month to recover - disney is doing a CRAZY amount of EMH for that few days I am there! I'm glad - but eek! - there is not going to be enough caffeine in the world to keep me going! *SIGH* to be young again...
    LOL!
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    05/10 - POR & BC

Post Thanks / Like

If I wasn't going to do Illuminations, but I WAS in Epcot...what time would you suggest I leave Epcot, to get to DHS at a good time for the 10:30 Fantasmic?
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    05/10 - POR & BC

Post Thanks / Like

Personally i think it would be tough....and some things will be totally out of your hands...when Illumiations ends, you need to exit Epcot, but so will thousands of others....then to get into HS you will have have to be going against the mad rush of people exiting the park. not to mention however you're going to or from the parks....
    im all for rest when you're not on vacation, and i agree w/ that...i can rest at work. haha...
    but you don't want to ruin your vacation by rushing too much and missiong out on the roses....
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

It would be tough and the chances of good seating at Fantasmic goes down the later you are arriving.

To have any chance, you would have to watch Illuminations as close to the International Gateway as possible. Then leave just as the finale ends. You'd have to beat the masses who will try to leave. It will be no earlier than 9:20 when you exit Epcot if all goes well. If you aren't close to IG or get caught in the exit masses, all bets on time are off.

The walk to DHS (definitely don't take the boat) will be about 35min with the crowdsbso the earliest arrival is about 9:55. Then 10 min to get to the amphitheatre and get seats. So 10:05. Almost guaranteed the good seating gone.

So doable but hectic and it will be tighter time wise if somethingndoesn't go well. I'd do these on two different nights myself.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

There really aren't "masses" of people who leave Epcot via the International Gateway after Illuminations. It's more like a "trickle" of people. I watched Illuminations from practically the exit (IG) last year, because we were on the way out, but I had a Grey Goose slushie, and they wouldn't let me exit the park with it. There is an area just before you exit that juts out by the water. There are benches there, and you can stand there and see the entire show. Then, you are literally about 15 feet from the turnstiles when it's time to go.

You can totally do both! Last year, when I watched Illuminations from this spot, I was back IN my room at the Beach Club by 9:25. You can definitely make the walk to the Studios.

Just wear some good running shoes.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, if you time it right you should be able to make it to the Studios on time. My concern would be the quality of the experience. If you are rushing to get out of Epcot, you may have to compromise viewing position and you may be itching to leave rather than enjoying the show. You will also have difficulty finding a good seat for Fantasmic, depending on crowds (if you can get in at all). Both shows have many great viewpoints, but they won't be choice seats, and you might be further away than you want. I agree that you should split them into 2 days if possible.

But if you can't split them, trying to see both in one night will be a fun story! Be sure to let us know how it went

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    There really aren't "masses" of people who leave Epcot via the International Gateway after Illuminations. It's more like a "trickle" of people. I watched Illuminations from practically the exit (IG) last year, because we were on the way out, but I had a Grey Goose slushie, and they wouldn't let me exit the park with it. There is an area just before you exit that juts out by the water. There are benches there, and you can stand there and see the entire show. Then, you are literally about 15 feet from the turnstiles when it's time to go.

You can totally do both! Last year, when I watched Illuminations from this spot, I was back IN my room at the Beach Club by 9:25. You can definitely make the walk to the Studios.

Just wear some good running shoes.
    You're actually saying what I was. The masses are those on the Epcot walkway. That can be difficult if you aren't very near the exit like you were.

Remains that to do it the OP has to plan it right. I think something else for the OP would be to check out the location of the path to DHS before that evening. It can be confusing to find especially at night and that would cost mire time.

I agree, the biggest concern is the quality of the experience not whether you can do it.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I'll chime in-- you can do it but I wouldn't recommend it. You would need to find a spot on the bridge between France and England to watch, and when it's over at 9:15 make a quick exit, which is quite easy to do. The issue is the long walk and how tired your kids may be. By the end of the day everyone is usually dragging, and its about 20-30 minutes depending on how fast you walk. Then you have to get into DS and go to the theatre. By then there may not be any seating, and you would hate to be turned away. Can you try do see Illuminations the night before or afterwards?

This actually sounds like a challenge for me to try but even for someone tall like me (6'4") that is a lot of walking. Let us know what you do.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

On the plus side, its friday--so Epcot has EMH, and that may keep a few people in the park. Probably not enough to make a difference, but at least a few people wont be rushing to the gate.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

I've looked over all the park hours for the weekend and I think I will modify some of my other plans and stick to just Illuminations for Friday night. thanks SO MUCH for all your input! I must say, that I am SO TEMPTED, just to try and do it and see if it IS do-able! If I had a longer stay for this trip, I would totally just try and see if it was possible! (without killing myself to do it!)

Thank you all!!!
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    05/10 - POR & BC

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so the challenge has been posed. I might try it when I go in a few weeks. We're staying at the Boardwalk, and we're both runners. We can do it! I'll let you all know if I try it!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to do the walk between the two, you will probably want to do a test run during the day prior to the night you are needing to get between the two parks. Its a very nice walk, but you will want to know exactly where you are going before the rush of folks leaving Epcot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Okay, so the challenge has been posed. I might try it when I go in a few weeks. We're staying at the Boardwalk, and we're both runners. We can do it! I'll let you all know if I try it!
    Ha, ha, ha!!! Awesome!!! I can't wait to hear! Though I cannot compare what my time would be, as I am not a runner!

Are you there for Destination D as well?
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    05/10 - POR & BC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: