Quantcast Help decide!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Help decide!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help decide!

I can't seem to decide a few of our meals.....so I would like some feedback as to what you all think....pros/cons (are there cons at disney???)

Cali Gril vs Artist Point for dinner

Cape May vs Ohana for breakfast, early ADR around 8 am.

Chef Mickey's vs Crystal Palace for breakfast; early ADR's....around 8 am again.

We are a party of four.....two adults and two boys ages 3 and 9. My 3 year old cannot have any meat, dairy, or soy, so he is quite a challenge to feed at times when on vaca, but if all else fails he will eat fruit and be a happy camper. We have been to WDW before and the chef's have been wonderful in helping us feed him. The ONLY place I will say that I had an issue was as Tusker House in the AK, but I pretty much knew what he could eat there, I just needed to know if things were cooked in water or stock and we were good.
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't eaten at all of your choices, but here's our experiences that could help you decide.

Cape May v. O'hana - We ate a Cape May last year for the first time, since we were staying at Beach Club, and had a great time. Good service, character interaction, and food. We always like getting the characters in different outfits and here you see them in their beach gear. Also like to say the buffet had lots of choices and I know O'hana's is served family style, which is why we've never tried there for breakfast because some members in our party only like 1 or 2 items listed on the menu. When we were there they definitely had a lot of fruit options on the buffet.

Chef Mickey's v. Crystal Palace - Never been to Chef Mickey's for breakfast, but we have done Crystal Palace. With an early dining time, it is really neat to enter MK before the park opens. Being one of a few families walking down Main Street is neat experience and you can get good pics in front of the castle. As for the meal itself, we've never had any complaints about Crystal Palace. While we've never ate at Chef Mickey's for breakfast, we've been disappointed with our last few times there for dinner and won't be going here again this year. I may be in the minority, but character interaction here leaves something to be desired at least for us. We've had to wait a long time for characters to get to our table, and then when they get there it's very quick and rushed.
    1993-Off-site
    1995/1996-Caribbean Beach
    1997-Dixie Landing
    1998-Caribbean Beach
    1999-Coronado Springs
    2000-Grosvenor
    2001-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003-Caribbean Beach
    2005-POP/Coronado Springs
    2006/2007-POP
    2008/2009-Riverside
    2010 - Beach Club
    2011 - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I've only eaten at one but based on menu:

California Grill over Artist Point
    Ohanas over Cape May
    Crystal Palace

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

The only 2 I have been are Crystal Palace and Chef Mickeys.
    I loved both, but I think Crystal Palace was my favorite. I felt kind of 'lost in the crowd' at Chef Mickey's, and at Crystal Palace, my servers have always been amazing.
    I am a vegetarian, and the chef at CP has never hesitated in coming to my table and asking if he can make anything special for me.
    Plus, if you go early enough, you can walk around MK before it opens!
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

The one and only time we ate at artist point the food and service were great. I'd go there again. But if I was choosing between AP and California Grill I'd choose CG for the overall experience. We've always had very good food there, once or twice the service was a little bit off (nothing worth complaining about), but the atmosphere is "top of the world". It's my favorite dining experience at WDW.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

My choices would be California Grill, Cape May (though I also love 'Ohana), and Crystal Palace.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

1. Definitely California Grill over Artist Point. Many people consider California Grill the best restaurant on property, besides perhaps Victoria & Albert's. The reputation is deserving.

2. I prefer the atmosphere and location of Cape May. It's brighter and airier and seems to set the mood better for a day at the park. I love the idea of a nice breakfast at the Beach Club before walking over to the International Gateway.

3. This one's a push, in my opinion. I don't particularly like either restaurant and have trouble distinguishing them. If you are planning an early-morning reservation, I'd pick Crystal Palace for the experience of entering the Magic Kingdom early and walking down an empty Main Street.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I did fail to mention that we have eaten at all but Cape May and while "we" (which is usually code speak for the kid(s)) enjoyed them my DH is a bit put off by the noise and crowds that typically gather at the buffets....which is why we need to go early! He has told me that "if we go back there we need to go early again, before it gets like the mad house it is now!" (which is usually what it is when we leave around 9ish).

Imagine crowds and noise at Disney.....UGH!

Thanks for the input so far....keep it comin'! I wish we could eat at all of them, but we just can't....well, mom can't!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppysmom View Post
    I can't seem to decide a few of our meals.....so I would like some feedback as to what you all think....pros/cons (are there cons at disney???)

Cali Gril vs Artist Point for dinner

Cape May vs Ohana for breakfast, early ADR around 8 am.

Chef Mickey's vs Crystal Palace for breakfast; early ADR's....around 8 am again.

We are a party of four.....two adults and two boys ages 3 and 9. My 3 year old cannot have any meat, dairy, or soy, so he is quite a challenge to feed at times when on vaca, but if all else fails he will eat fruit and be a happy camper. We have been to WDW before and the chef's have been wonderful in helping us feed him. The ONLY place I will say that I had an issue was as Tusker House in the AK, but I pretty much knew what he could eat there, I just needed to know if things were cooked in water or stock and we were good.
    Artists Point is very good...but I find that restaurants in hotels in which you aren't staying are logistically more difficult to get to. I'd go with California Grill just because it's in a hotel on the monorail and will be easier and faster to get to when your reservation time rolls around.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

California Grill is probably a better restaurant so I would recommend that for you, but for my taste I prefer Artist Point. As for the other two, I would go with Cape May and Chef Mickey's.
    Last Trip-April 2008-Boardwalk Inn
    Next Trip-October 2017-POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my , for what it's worth:

Cali Gril vs Artist Point for dinner — I'd vote for Cali Grill, but be absolutely sure to note your son's dietary restrictions on your ADR. As he basically eats a vegan diet, both restaurants have been known to be hit or miss. Giving them advance notice will help a lot.

Cape May vs Ohana for breakfast, early ADR around 8 am. — Again, you will do better at 'Ohana to meet the needs of your son's diet. It's been a while since we've been at Cape May for breakfast but I've looked at it again recently since I changed my diet and it really doesn't offer much.

Chef Mickey's vs Crystal Palace for breakfast; early ADR's....around 8 am again — Either restaurant will be able to provide vegan-friendly breakfast foods (specially made waffles and/or pancakes, fruit, breads, etc.) but since you've mentioned that your DH was not a fan of Cape May, I don't think he'd like CM very much at all (I know I don't and I can handle Cape May but really do not like Chef Mickey... I tried, I really did ). We do like Crystal Palace. And since it's a buffet, you'll be able to eat what you want and your DS will be able to eat what suits him best.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

BE SURE TO NOTE YOUR SONS ISSUES WITH FOOD ON THE ADRS..... VERY IMPORTANT !!! DISNEY IN MY EXPERIENCE IS WONDERFUL WHEN IT COMES TO THESE THINGS. THEY WILL MAKE ANYTHING THAT HE WOULD LIKE TO EAT AND I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH YOU MUST NOTE IT ON YOUR ADRS. CALL IN ADVANCE TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE AWARE OF YOUR SONS ISSUES. AND CALL THE DAY OF YOUR RESE. THE CHEF WILL APPRECIATE AN ADVANCE NOTICE . THEY WILL BE PREPARED FOR YOUR ARRIVAL. IT IS ALWAYS FRUSTRATING WHILE ON VACATION TO WORRY ABOUT WHAT YOUR CHILD CAN EAT. AND IF IT WILL HARM HIM. THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN HAVING A SICK CHILD ON VACATION . GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A MAGICAL VACATION .

Nichole
    2000 - asmu (1st trip) AUG
    2001 - Off site OCT
    2002 - 2008 POP JAN YEARLY
    2009 - Saratoga Springs SEPT
    2010 - POP NOV 28 - DEC 3
    2011 - POP - OCT 10days
    2013 - POP Feb 23rd - Mar 2nd (originally booked AOA but my family doesn't like change I guess lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Cali Gril vs Artist Point for dinner we have eaten at Cali before ans as much as everyone love this one I do not. If given this choice I would want artist Pointe, we have ot eaten there before.

Cape May vs Ohana for breakfast, early ADR around 8 am. We have eaten at both places and enjoyed both, food is good. If DH doesn't like Cape May then I would go for Ohana's.

Chef Mickey's vs Crystal Palace for breakfast; early ADR's....around 8 am again. we have eaten at both places. Chef Mickey's does get loud when they do the napkin twirl. You might do better at Crystal Palace. Plus walking down Main Street when it's still empty is just so cool!!

I do agree with the other posters, make sure you note your son's allergies on the ADR's. It will help the chef out!!

Whatever you choose enjoy!!
    Cindy
    Hoping to plan another trip very soon!
    2011 BW for Hubby's conference!
    2009 Pop Christmas
    2008 BW
    2008 Disneyland Hotel
    2007 CB Christmas
    2007 DL Paris Disneyland Hotel
    2007 Mother's Day BC
    2006 Poly Concerige
    2005 DL GC
    2003 A S Sp

Post Thanks / Like

We love going to Cape May Cafe for breakfast. The food has always been good and we like the atmosphere. It's not real crowded if you go first thing in the morning. I think 7:30am is when it opens; I'd get an advance dining reservation for then, or as early as you can.

Chef Mickey's was an experience. It was loud and crowded the one time we went for breakfast. We enjoyed it but I'd much rather go to Cape May Cafe.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. We've only had dinner at 'Ohana, breakfast at Artist Point when they had the Winnie the Pooh character breakfast, and breakfast at the Crystal Palace back in 1994, which I believe was a la carte. We've never eaten at California Grill.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me:

California Grill - We did not care for our meal at Artist Point and cannot say that we would return. One of the few meals we have really not liked. California Grill IMHO is an experience in itself. The view alone is wort it.

'Ohana - We have done both meals. Can't say that I would go out of my way for either (hate to waste park time ) But . . . if I had to choose between the two of them . . . it would depend on where I was planning on going after. If I were heading to the MK then 'Ohana, if I were heading to Epcot or DHS then Cape May.

Crystal Palace - HANDS DOWN!!! The food is amazing (the only breakfast we have to do every trip). The walk down an empty Main Street early in the morning is one of the most magical moments ever. No random strangers in your castle pictures, no crazy crowds. It's just perfect early in the morning.

Have a fabulous trip and I hope all goes well with your son's dietary needs!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: