Quantcast THE NFL ....I dont fully understand whats going on ??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default THE NFL ....I dont fully understand whats going on ??

Hi there i am hoping you guys can enlighten me on the NFL .
    What is actually going on ?
    Is there going to be a season this year ?

As i really dont fully understand the arguements on either side

Cheers from a confused Brit whose trying to explain this to other confused Brits on whats going on
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, to put it in the most simple terms, a bunch of spoiled millionaires are having a spitting match with a bunch of other spoiled millionaires.

To give a more detailed answer, the NFL brings in about 9 billion in revenue each year. A formula is used to split this revenue between the owners and the players. Currently, the owners take 1 billion off the top before the formula is applied. Now they are asking for 2 billion to help cover stadium building and update costs. The players are whining and complaining that they would only get a share of 7 billion.

Other issues are that the owners wanted to go to an 18 game regular season schedule and eliminate 2 meaningless pre-season games in order to generate more revenue. The players feel they get banged up enough over 16 games. I agree with the players on this one. I don't like pre-season, but 16 is enough.

A final issue is the owners want a rookie wage scale to keep draft picks from getting paid all these millions when they haven't done anything yet. Don't know why the players are whining about this one because it would mean the established players would actually get paid a little more.

Will there be a season? Who knows. Things are going into the American legal system right now and that's going to mess everything up. It could take so many paths and take so long that I seriously doubt there will be a full season. Maybe a partial one. I hope I'm wrong. I'd hate to lose the season because both sides are being so greedy. The players are now playing from a serious position of weakness, though. Not every NFL player makes millions, and even those that do still live a lifestyle where they are living paycheck to paycheck. The owners built up a "war chest" and made sure they are going to be fine through this lockout, but the players are going to start feeling a serious pinch once they start missing paychecks. They'll probably end up with a worse deal than if they negotiated fairly last month. But they wanted to do the legal route instead. I think the players are going to lose big.

The player's union "de-certified" (even though they are still acting like a union) so that they could go to court earlier, so they may get struck down in court. The owners have locked out the players, meaning they have shut down all operations and aren't paying anyone. The players have sued the owners saying the owners can't legally lock out the players. The owners have counter-sued saying the players didn't legally de-certify as a union so their lawsuit is illegal. No way to know how this will turn out.

And don't worry. Most Americans are confused, too.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    They'll probably end up with a worse deal than if they negotiated fairly last month. But they wanted to do the legal route instead. I think the players are going to lose big.
    Couldn't agree more. I have seen it twice now with companies in my hometown. Many years ago Caterpiller workers went on strike because "they weren't getting a fair deal," well the company left town. Then a few years back the same thing happened at Harley. The company almost left but in the end the workers were worse off then if they had just taken the original proposal. Not sure when these people are going to wise up and realize that they have it pretty good. They need to stop following the unions and understand that the unions are not the ones that give them the paycheck.
    I sure hope they can get this worked out though as football has something good going right now and this won't be good for popularity. Plus I don't know what I will do without football. Fall won't be the same without it.
    2008 - Anniversary trip: Port Orleans Riverside
    2005 - Honeymoon trip: Port Orleans Riverside
    2015 - Kids 1st Visit: Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Well, to put it in the most simple terms, a bunch of spoiled millionaires are having a spitting match with a bunch of other spoiled millionaires.

And don't worry. Most Americans are confused, too.
    These two statements just about sum it up the best!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I think it's a bit more nuanced than what's been said so far ...

Basically, yes ... the owner's want to take another $1 billion off the top of the total revenue pie (more on that concept in a minute) before sharing the money out with the players. The players are basically saying, "Look we were fine with the CBA we had. You guys opted out. If you want us to take less money, make your case. Just prove to us that you're all making less money, because we don't see it."

One other important thing to note is that the actual definition of the $9+ billion in NFL revenue is a bit ambiguous. There are most definitely streams of revenue that individual teams take advantage of that aren't included in that pie. Things like local radio deals, local sponsorships (THE OFFICIAL CAR DEALER OF THE NEW YORK JETS, etc. etc.), stadium parking revenue, and other related items aren't included in the total revenue calculation.

Of course, by the same token the players also draw individual sponsorship revenue deals, too.

But basically everyone needs to remember that there was a CBA in place and the owners opted out of it. The players really aren't asking for anything additional. They're asking for the status quo or, alternatively, if they're going to make concessions for things like the rookie wage scale (which make no mistake ... both sides want and will easily agree on) or the extended season, then they want potentially a bigger share of the revenue pie.

But really all those other things like the longer season and the rookie wage scale ... that's just window dressing. The absolute core of this rotten apple is the owners saying to the players, "We want to take back $1 billion of your revenue pie, because we're making less money." and the players saying, "Okay great. We're open to discussing that. Just prove to us that you're actually making less money." and the NFL going, "Uh ... err ... ummm ... errr ... well ... no."
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    But really all those other things like the longer season and the rookie wage scale ... that's just window dressing.
    I would call them "bargining chips." Of course the players would agree to a wage scale, but the longer they can "say" they don't, they can use it as in "you give this up, we'll give that up."

Another thing you don't here too much about is that there is also infighting amongst the owners.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Another thing you don't hear too much about is that there is also infighting amongst the owners.
    Oh yeah ... there are some owners that operate their franchises like any typical business, with profit as the first (and pretty much only) priority.

Then you have other owners who care a lot more about the game and winning and their football legacy.

I'm pretty sure everyone can figure out on their own how that would result in some in-fighting.
    Ian șOș

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a bit more nuanced than what's been said so far ...

Basically, yes ... the owner's want to take another $1 billion off the top of the total revenue pie (more on that concept in a minute) before sharing the money out with the players. The players are basically saying, "Look we were fine with the CBA we had. You guys opted out. If you want us to take less money, make your case. Just prove to us that you're all making less money, because we don't see it."

One other important thing to note is that the actual definition of the $9+ billion in NFL revenue is a bit ambiguous. There are most definitely streams of revenue that individual teams take advantage of that aren't included in that pie. Things like local radio deals, local sponsorships (THE OFFICIAL CAR DEALER OF THE NEW YORK JETS, etc. etc.), stadium parking revenue, and other related items aren't included in the total revenue calculation.

Of course, by the same token the players also draw individual sponsorship revenue deals, too.

But basically everyone needs to remember that there was a CBA in place and the owners opted out of it. The players really aren't asking for anything additional. They're asking for the status quo or, alternatively, if they're going to make concessions for things like the rookie wage scale (which make no mistake ... both sides want and will easily agree on) or the extended season, then they want potentially a bigger share of the revenue pie.

But really all those other things like the longer season and the rookie wage scale ... that's just window dressing. The absolute core of this rotten apple is the owners saying to the players, "We want to take back $1 billion of your revenue pie, because we're making less money." and the players saying, "Okay great. We're open to discussing that. Just prove to us that you're actually making less money." and the NFL going, "Uh ... err ... ummm ... errr ... well ... no."
    Ian explained the situation perfectly. I bolded some of his points for emphasis. This is NOT a strike. The players were happy with the agreement that was negotiated a few years ago. If the owners need the money, prove it. I'm not taking Jerry Jones or Jeffrey Lurie's word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Another thing you don't here too much about is that there is also infighting amongst the owners.
    Excellent point! There is not uniform agreement within the owners. The really big market teams resent revenue sharing with the smaller market teams.
    Oh yeah ... there are some owners that operate their franchises like any typical business, with profit as the first (and pretty much only) priority.

Then you have other owners who care a lot more about the game and winning and their football legacy.

I'm pretty sure everyone can figure out on their own how that would result in some in-fighting.
    I'll take it a step further. It is not just that some owners care more about the game, but that there isn't any way for some of them to generate more revenue in their markets. I'm not talking about a small market team like Jacksonville, which does not have the fan base to support a franchise. I'm talking about small market teams like Green Bay and Buffalo, which have large, loyal fan bases and play in front of decent crowds. There isn't any way for them to create anymore revenue.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I also thought that part of what the owners want is a reduction of the percecentage of the 'revenue pie' that is players salaries...not just the billion or so off the top

The problem with the rookie contract thing- most people who play in the nfl play for 5 or less seasons. The players 'sacrifice' their bodies during this time. and the nfl contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.

Now, this lockout has been predicted since last year.
    In the end, the only people getting hurt are the NFL fans. and it stinks

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gueli View Post
    The problem with the rookie contract thing- most people who play in the nfl play for 5 or less seasons.
    Yeah, but I think (although I may be wrong) that a portion of the money they're planning on saving from the reduced rookie salaries is going towards taking better care of ex-players so maybe you'd still be able to get some money even if you only played a few seasons, got hurt, and had to retire.

But yeah with the NFL being the only player union that doesn't have guaranteed contracts, I find it pretty hard to believe the owners would push for more. They should talk to owners in MLB or the NBA and see how they feel about the sweetheart deal NFL owners have!
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gueli View Post
    The problem with the rookie contract thing- most people who play in the nfl play for 5 or less seasons. The players 'sacrifice' their bodies during this time. and the nfl contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.
    Average years of service for a NFL player is just over 3 years. Players who retire now get lifetime health benefits if they play 4 years. That number is not a coincidence .

Yeah, but I think (although I may be wrong) that a portion of the money they're planning on saving from the reduced rookie salaries is going towards taking better care of ex-players so maybe you'd still be able to get some money even if you only played a few seasons, got hurt, and had to retire.
    The stipulation that the owners want to put in for that, though, is only for players who retired after 1993. The owners say that this is because players after that date are the ones who made the NFL take off . So players like Wilbert Montgomery , Tommy MacDonald, or Chuck Bednarik (get well soon, Concrete Charlie) would not get that money.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Which is sort of ironic, Christine, because those are also the guys who made no money while playing.
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

This is one strike that is just GREED based, and in this economy, you are going to be hard pressed to gain sympathy.

I live in Northern NJ...HOME to both the JETS and GIANTS, the economic fall-out that will impact my area is HUGE, and I don't give a RIP about the owners, I'm thinking of the little guy working at the stadium to feed his family as an extra job. The bars in the area who depend on the football crowd every Sunday. This isn't funny at all. The people who work hard bringing us the games for the TV networks. Not the announcers, the guy actually running the cables and wires and setting up the equipment. WHY...because the owners want a BIGGER slice of the pie? In tough economic times??? Good Luck gaining sympathy.
    I do hope for a resolution. I think the loss of football is NOT GOOD for the players, and more so for the FANS, who fuel this whole greed machine.
    Anyway...just my two cents.
    I saw a Giants Player in Outback with his family a few Saturdays ago...and thought to myself, smart man. Taking the family out, and not spending more than the AVERAGE AMERICAN FAMILY!! Anyway...
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Is there a deadline as to when the NFL games are a go or no go ?

Dear all who have replied back ,thankyou for clearing the waters on this question ,

However is there an actual deadline date on whether the NFL season is a go or no go ?

Cheers
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, they could announce a CBA next week or after the season.

The judge ordered the two sides back to the table and that starts Thursday. I still think that we won't see anything before the draft, I'm guessing before June they get the CBA done either by mediation or court order.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER View Post
    However is there an actual deadline date on whether the NFL season is a go or no go ?
    Training camps open the end of July. I would think they need a CBA by mid July for everything to start on time. If they don't have one by mid August, the season would certainly be delayed. It's anyone's guess when the season would be cancelled but I would say around October 1, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen... too much money involved.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

The 2011 schedule is released in 25 minutes from this post time. I hope they play.

I would like to correct an earlier comment. Its billionaires arguing with millionaires.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

The frightening thing about this is national financial impact that this is going to have, if an agreement isn't in place and the season doesn't happen.

There was an article the other day on the web about the financial impact of the lock out and it would be devistating. The hit to Dish Network, Direct TV and snack and beverage companies around the country could have significant impacts to communities. Imagine how much money these companies make during the football season that are going to be a big fat zero when there aren't games going to be played. Think of the impact this will have on the revenue numbers for the Walt Disney Company when they aren't making any money on ad revenue. Companies that lose significant revenue could lay off thousands of people to make up for that lost revenue.

Sorry I'm being doom and gloom, but these owners and players are not thinking about the big picture here. They need to quickly get this resolved and get back to work.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really really worried about the economic impact, the trickle down effect is HUGE.

Keeping the faith alive that this will work itself out.
    Julie
    Next Up:

2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

NFL Commissioner Roger Goddell issued a statement today that said: He is confident that the 2011 NFL season will go on as scheduled and the labor dispute will be resolved.

OK Roger...Not feeling as confident as you!

Julie
    Next Up:

2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: