Quantcast POP century and smoking areas

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default POP century and smoking areas

I am planning a Vacation to DW this summer. We are only spending a short time there and want to stay at POP. Never stayed there and I was wondering about requesting a room. Do they take requests and what do you suggest for non prefered room? And is there smoking areas? I do not smoke and do not want to walk through smoke each day to get to the food court or busses. I thought that all resorts were smoke free? thanks for the input!
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

A room in the 90's is good choice since you can cut across the parking lot to get to the food court and buses. Also in the 50's facing hourglass lake is good location since it usually very quiet. There are smoking areas at all the resorts what they mean by smoke free is that all the rooms are non-smoking rooms. As for walking past the smoking areas it is hard to avoid at times.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the 50's building but someone posted it was a smoking building.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Allstar Movies 02

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the 50's building but someone posted it was a smoking building.
    There are NO "Smoking Buildings" at WDW. There ARE, however, numerous "Smoking Areas" along the paths to and from the buildings, along Memory Lane, and to the left of the main doors into Classic Hall (the registration building) [looking from the Hippy Dippy Pool to Classic Hall] MOST of the Smoking Areas along the paths are on little 'offset' paths and can be avoided, but the Smoking Area at Classic Hall is to the left of the main doors and if you are staying in a building left of Classic Hall (50's - Bldgs. 1, 2 & 3), you may have to walk through a cloud of smoke.

If you want the best opportunity to not have to walk through smoke/smoking areas, you should request buildings to the RIGHT of Classic Hall [looking from the Hippy Dippy Pool] -- 70's (Bldgs. 0, 6), 80's (Bldgs. 7, 9), 90's (Bldg. 8) -- These buildings are also closer to transportation (except Bldg. 6 & 7, which can be a hike!), as you can walk around the front of Classic Hall or through parking lots to cut the distance and time.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I do not want to walk through clouds of smoke. I was hoping to stay at the 50s lake side but I am concerned about the smoke.

I have stayed at the Wilderness lodge my last few trips an never saw anyone smoke there at all.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Allstar Movies 02

Post Thanks / Like

The resort map for the Pop shows the designated smoking areas if that helps with your planning, http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disn...pcentury07.jpg .
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=JPL;2133863]A room in the 90's is good choice since you can cut across the parking lot to get to the food court and buses. /QUOTE]

Good suggestion. I stayed in the 90's and found it a great location for non-smokers.

Although the rooms may be smoke-free, the balconies and walkways are not. Be prepared.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Although the rooms may be smoke-free, the balconies and walkways are not. Be prepared.
    Actually, the walkways and balconies are smoke free. If you find someone smoking on a balcony at ANY resort feel free to tell them not to or let security know. Smoking is only allowed in designated smoking areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plutolovr View Post
    Actually, the walkways and balconies are smoke free. If you find someone smoking on a balcony at ANY resort feel free to tell them not to or let security know. Smoking is only allowed in designated smoking areas.
    I've never tried confronting anyone. I just warn folks who expect smoke-free areas to be prepared.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at the 50's area and we seriously walked through a group of smokers almost everyday. There is pretty much one straight path from the 50's section to the main entrance and the smoking area is smack dab in the middle of it. Nothing against smokers but I can smell smoke when I'm driving if someone driving next to me has their window down and they're smoking and it makes me sick to my stomach.

so yeah I guess ask not to stay in the 50s area.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plutolovr View Post
    We were there in 2008 and the walkway from 50s section to the main lobby most definitely had a smokers area literally in the middle of it.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    The resort map for the Pop shows the designated smoking areas if that helps with your planning, http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disn...pcentury07.jpg .
    thank you for the map. I don't get why there are two smoking areas back to back right bhind the main building and pool bar? I really want to stay lakeside in the 50s building but it seems that I willnot be able to avoid smoke. I do not wan to walk through smoke It really irritates my lungs as well as my DD. So I guess I will have to opt for the 80/90's building. bummer.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Allstar Movies 02

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the map. I don't get why there are two smoking areas back to back right bhind the main building and pool bar? I really want to stay lakeside in the 50s building but it seems that I willnot be able to avoid smoke. I do not wan to walk through smoke It really irritates my lungs as well as my DD. So I guess I will have to opt for the 80/90's building. bummer.
    The bar itself is a smoking area, that is why it looks like they are back to back. There is a large area, with bench seats, beside the doors to Classic hall, and it can get thick around there if there are a lot of smokers there. If you keep closer to the Hippy Dippy Pool side (or the bar side - same thing) you can get past without having to breath the smoke in. The bar itself, is only open in the afternoons and evenings (at least, it was never open in the mornings when we went to Everything Pop for coffee.)

Someone said about having to walk right by a smoking area on the path from the 50's buildings...that is not entirely true. We stayed in the Tramp building (Bldg. 3) and although we passed the smoking area, it was on an offshoot path closer to the Lady building (Bldg. 1) and did not bother us on the way past.

Wherever you stay in Pop, there are ways to bypass, or get around without too much hassle, the smoking areas...you may just have to walk a little further. I would DEFINITELY NOT pass up an opportunity to walk down "Memory Lane" and read the trivia questions and answers. (TIP: Start from the 50's end of the path!! That way you see the questions first, not the answers!! LOL)
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip about memory lane. We are most likely going to book our trip with POP. I looked at the WL map and realize now why I never saw anyone smoking. All the smoking areas are off the beaten path so there is no reason to go there unless you smoke.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Allstar Movies 02

Post Thanks / Like

Like previous posters have said, there are no smoking buildings. We stayed in the 50 building and there is a smoking area you walk through to get to the dining/main building. Also, unless they have moved it, they have a large smoking area right outside the main entrance into the building from the pool area. It is to the left as you go in. My kids hate smelling smoke and it really put a damper on our trip.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

I made my reservation yesterday and realy stressed to the CM that I wanted to be away from smoking areas. He really stressed that it was a no-promises request. But I am hoping to aviod smoke and have a good time at POP. First time there, so any one with any tips I would love to hear them.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Allstar Movies 02

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that you stayed at WL in '10. While WL has smoking areas at both the pool area next to/behind the bar & deck area and right outside the bus stop between the main building and the villas, it's never bothered us - good outside ventilation, perhaps? The areas are fairly obscure, but they are there. And when we walk by either place, each has rarely ever been empty of smoking guests. Our room this past summer was just a few feet away from the smoking area outside the arcade/entrance awning, but we never smelled any smoke in the hours we spent on our balcony.

If it is a problem where your room is, I wouldn't hesitate to ask to be moved to a different location. We've encountered folks smoking on their balconies before & haven't hesitated to call the front desk. The situation has always resolved itself rather quickly.

I think that with the world-wide destination Disney is, it would be almost impossible to make it a totally smoke-free environment for every culture that comes to visit. However, I think they've done a good job of trying to do so to the best of their ability - at least at the resorts. Now - some places in the parks I can't understand their logic, such as outside Aloha Isle/Swiss Family Tree House. That kicks our tails every time!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

We just returned from Pop Century 2 weeks ago...we stayed in the 60's building. Originally we were given a non-preferred room on the first floor overlooking the lake and parking lot...due to some issues that were resolved we were upgraded to a preferred room. Would definitely stay at Pop again, we loved it!
    The only smoking we saw was at night at the bar (but it was quite chilly so some nights nobody was there!), and right behind the bar at the entrance to classic hall.
    Off-site - 1984, 1988 (2)
    Disneyland - 1993
    All Star Movies - 1999
    All Star Music - 2002
    Polynesian - 2006
    Coronado Springs - 2007
    Port Orleans Riverside - 2008
    Caribbean Beach - 2009
    Pop Century- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Disney Dream - 2013
    Yacht Club 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I was at POP about 3 years ago. I am a Smoker and I only smoke in designated Areas. As far as seeing someone Smoking where they aren't supposed to, and telling a Employer..........That's a Joke!!!! I saw someone and told a Cast Member and we both sat there and watched them Smoke and he did NOTHING??????? And I really don't want to start anything here, but when we would be in The Smoking areas looking for places to sit, there were families sitting in the areas that don't Smoke? I can't understand that?????????

Post Thanks / Like

We stay at Pop all the time, before it was all non-smoking also. I have rarely ever walked into a cloud of smoke, I know where the designated areas are and make sure that I avoid walking that way.

We have stayed in the 70's building and you can walk to the food court and bus stops without walking through a smoking area from those buildings too. I do agree with not requesting 50's building - there is a smoking area away from the building, but in a path that is a little harder to avoid (but can be). Other than that, you should have a good time!
    Candi, the Pooh fanatic!

4/2010 - Pop Century
    9/2005 - Pop Century
    1/2005 - Pop Century
    1/2004 - Offsite
    1/2001 - Offsite
    9/2000 - Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon
    5/1983 - Offsite
    Disneyland - 1980,1981,1982

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: