Quantcast Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in the parks?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in the parks?

I got "Epic Mickey" for Christmas and it really got me to thinking about what I'd like to see in the future. Assuming that Oswald the Lucky Rabbit is getting all this well-needed attention recently thanks to the game, does anyone think they should bring him out to greet guests in the parks?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oswald was kinda hijacked from Walt (along with the artists that helped Walt make him a movie star)...
    Kinda a sore subject with him from what I have read. But what a great story, Walt had every reason to throw in the towel after that, but didnt! He reinvented himself by creating a little mouse! I wonder if Disney even holds the rights to Oswald today? Guess they must at least have something to be able to pull of the epic mickey stuff..
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney does indeed now own the rights to Oswald. They even released a Treasures disk with some of the early Oswald cartoons.

I forget when they bought the rights back, probably 3 years ago now or something... Maybe more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Disney does indeed now own the rights to Oswald. They even released a Treasures disk with some of the early Oswald cartoons.

I forget when they bought the rights back, probably 3 years ago now or something... Maybe more.
    It's a great story, one worth repeating.

They re-got the rights to Oswald back in Feb 2006. When Monday Night Football went from ABC to NBC broadcaster Al Michaels wanted out of his ABC deal to go to NBC. ABC (Disney) let him, but made NBC trade back the rights to Oswald. So you can say Al Michaels was traded for Oswald the Rabbit.

Post Thanks / Like

I just read on another board, that Oswald will be coming to the parks, but don't know when yet (this is from a very reliable source who works at WDW). Also, apparently Pete will be arriving sometime soon too?! WHOA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak1313 View Post
    Also, apparently Pete will be arriving sometime soon too?! WHOA!
    If so, wonder if he'll have a peg-leg like he does in "Epic Mickey" and the classic cartoons?

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

In the Chinese lunar calendar, 2011 is the year of the rabbit...

On the day that it was announced that Oswald was brought back to the company, a character did make an appearance to mark the event.

And Oswald was featured prominently in the design of a float for Tokyo Disneyland's Easter Wonderland parade that debuted last season.

In Japan, Oswald has been a very popular character with lots of merchandise available that I can remember back to 2004 or perhaps even earlier as it was marketed heavily by Universal overseas prior to Disney getting him back although I don't really recall seeing Oswald specific merchandise at the Tokyo resort on my last visit.

Currently, as construction walls are up at Disney California Adventure, they feature artwork with Oswald along with Clara Cluck, Clarabelle Cow, Horace Horsecollar, Mortimer Mouse and Pete which fit with the theme of the transformation to Buena Vista Street. Horace and Clarabelle walk around characters were both part of the opening ceremony for the re-themed Silly Symphony Swings in DCA, so it really is just a matter of finding the right fit for introducing the characters in the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice to see more Oswald in the parks. I actually grew up watching Oswald, though it was only one movie. My dad had one Oswald short on regular 8mm movie film. We used to watch it every time we would watch our home movies when we were kids. We still have that movie reel, though I transferred it to DVD several years ago.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I actually received the Oswald Treasures collection as a Christmas present. Here is the description from the case:

"Before Mickey, there as Oswald, the floppy-eared star of Walt Disney's first cartoon series, The Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. Fun and mischievous, the cheerful rabbit's popularity quickly multiplied, and so did his shorts. Between 1927 and 1928, Disney created a bounty of legendary and rarely seen Oswald cartoons.

"Now for the first time ever on DVD, we present the premiere collection of Disney's Oswald shorts -- all featuring new scores composed especially for this release. The long-lost rabbit's life story, from his birth to his long-awaited return to Disney, and a documentary on the legendary Ub Iwerks are revealing portraits of one of the most important stars in Disney's menagerie.

"Featuring exclusive introductions by film historian Leonard Maltin, this is a timeless collection from generations past for generations to come."

The collection is on 2 discs, total running time approximately 4 hrs and was released in 2007. I discovered a pleasant surprise on disc 2; it includes several early cartoons, both before and after Oswald. One of the cartoons is "Steamboat Willie".
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I've been most pleased about in the last couple of years is the reintroduction of some of those really classic characters in the parades and shows -- Clarabelle, Horace, Clara Cluck, etc. I've also been enjoying seeing a few more of the "supporting cast" of various movies, like Lady Tremaine and Cindy's stepsisters.

I think it's smart on Disney's part to offer these character encounters in addition to the heavy hitters -- it creates the potential for a whole new generation of fans to appreciate them.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI