Quantcast Quick Service Seating Rules in Effect - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like

We haven't been in a long time and this is the first I have heard of this. I like to hear/read all the dialogue regarding as some are pointing out things I didn't think of...

When we were visiting for a long weekend in July a few years ago it started to downpour like it does nearly every day. My family (DH, and two little DSs) were nearly the ONLY people walking in the rain. Where was everyone? Well, when we went to grab something to eat at Cosmic Rays they were all sitting at the tables not eating anything. We had food and clearly wanted to sit and eat it. Where did we end up? Did someone resting their bones give up their table so we could eat? No, of course not. We ate ON THE FLOOR NEAR THE DOOR. No, I am not kidding you. It was in a space between where people had parked their strollers. Yes, I let my 3 and 18mo eat their meal on the nasty floor. And, no a CM did not help us find a table.

Now, none of us got an illness or a bad disease from eating on the floor, but really? We really had to do that?

I see the flaws with this and I can see how it seems over the top, but in busy times when people are resting their bones WDW is not making money from food. When they can't make money then we will have to expect more gum stuck on things and more rude CMs.
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Table Rule

I believe this is a great rule.. Also in this day of everyone/some older age kids having cell phones. The family may wait on a bench or somewhere and when time is near to get the meal (after you ordered) call them and off to the table. The table turn around time will make things seem better, so more people can get a table. JMO
    "Wheres my super suit! "

Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

Bronson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alaMode View Post
    Last October DS and I ate lunch at Flametree BBQ at AK. No sooner had I stepped away from the counter than I managed to dump the whole thing over. I was in tears!

A very kind CM came over, helped Ds and I to a lovely table down by water looking across at EE, then came back with another tray of food. I didn't even know this area existed because I never would have been able to get to it with food.

This CM definitely turned our frowns upside down!

We're in WDW right now-can't wait to check out this situation in MK tomorrow!
    I LOVED this story - true Disney magic. THIS is the reason that Disney is always my favourite place to go

Post Thanks / Like

If the rule was "No sitting at a table without purchasing food" or something like that, that would be understandible. But I see nothing wrong with someone making sure they get a table to sit at while the other person is in line to get the food.

Post Thanks / Like

Typically we don't have a problem b/c we try to beat the crowds and eat at off times, however, I don't think I'd mind if it truly helps those w/food to find a seat. DH & I have 6 kids so one of us usually takes the baby and smaller kids to find a table while the others wait in line and help carry food. Not intentionally trying to keep someone from a table, but logically getting the rowdier crowd out of the way while ensuring that we have a place to eat.

Of course that's if I can actually find a table once we have our food. I do think I'd find it a bit annoying if I still don't have a seat after herding all my kids through a line, etc... Talk about meltdowns - tired, hungry kids can only handle so much - disciplined or not. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time we've had to take our food 'to go' and find a place to enjoy it elsewhere. Whatever works
    Christie

September 2007 - Pop Century

September 2009 - ASMu

September 17-24, 2011 - Off Property
    October 2014 - ???

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciated that this was done at the Three Broomsticks in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal's Islands of Adventure. I think it's a good move on Disney's part. When it's busy, people without food should not be able to keep people with food from sitting down to eat.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned on the 11th of January, and did not see one cast member directing traffic to any tables. Saw plenty of folks holding tables and not actually eating, just taking a break. It was plenty busy, so not sure why no cast members, but it was not in evidence last week.
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

Us too. We just got back and it wasn't in effect. There were plenty of tables, which was really nice for a change.

I got a really dirty look from a family because I ordered a lunch from the french bakery and took it to the Tangeriene Cafe so my husband could get lunch there. Well, while he was in line, my son and I sat down and started eating our french lunch. Hubby had already walked ahead and was only about 4 people back from the front of the line. Everyone kept looking at us weird because we were taking up space in the wrong restaurant and it was raining and they all wanted seats. But, I WAS eating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    Kids and parents don't suddenly get exhausted and cranky to the point where they NEED a table to sit at when mom or dad says "find a table while I go get the food."
    You obviously have never traveled to a theme park with a 20 month old while 6 months pregnant. Kids can go from fine to melt down very quickly! I am sorry, but sometimes it is too hard with small children to herd them through the line or wait off to the side while my husband gets food. I'm sorry, but this seems very un-Disney like to me.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

1) Now that the busy season is ebbing, the practice is over.
    2) It went very well.
    . . . people got tables quickly
    . . . there were always tables available
    . . . the CM's were able to guide people to many open seats
    . . . no reports of any guests standing and waiting for a table
    . . . only a few people raised complaints *

* There was one instance where several CM's complained to the union: On a Thursday night, a big burly guy demanded to get a table without food at Electric Umbrella. The lady CM tried top keep him out. He pushed her to the ground! The manager went out and "talked" to the guy, The CM's got upset when the manager did not call security and have him removed from the park for "roughing" up a female CM! What a coward manager. He is now on several CM's nasty list.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

We like this rule. Our kids are older and do stand in line with us to make their decisions but on our last trip we had to go eat on a curb outside because there were no tables. I don't know what I would think of the policy if I had my twins there when they were younger but I think anything to make things more manageable is always nice.
    Me DD 15 DD 15 DS17 DH

MARCH 2008 OFFSITE
    ME, DS13 DD13 DS15

MARCH 2009 POR
    ME, DH DD14 DD14

SEPTEMBER 2011
    ME, DH, DD15 DD15
    16TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm just selfish, or still getting used to being a parent of 3. When we were down there the week after Thanksgiving this didn't appear to be in effect, or if it was we didn't see it. We ate at Colombia Harbor House twice, both times having my wife and 3 kids (3-5-8) sit down while I got in line. I don't feel a bit guilty about it. The queu lines are tight and there is little "extra" room for a 4 additional family members to hang around waiting while dad waits in line for all the food. I recall at the Flame Tree BBq and Pecos Bills being paranoid, just by myself, that if I made any sudden turns that I'd knock over someones tray. Can't imagine what it would be like with 4 additional people waiting with me.

I haven't read all the posts, so I don't know the consensus, but for me, preseating the family saves time. While I'm in line my wife can get all the condiments, napkins, booster chairs/high chairs, silverware, things like that, that really add time. Plus, then I can actually eat a hot meal vs. bringing it to the table and then doing all the aforementioned running around. So for us, the preseating turns our table anyway, around faster than if we all waited until the food was in hand before we sat down.

I'd be more receptive to this plan if these CS restaraunts had places (short of going back outside) for the family to wait. But I'm sorry, the ones we ate at had little or no waiting areas, much less any that were comfortable or conducive to a parent that has to watch 3 children in a crowded environment for up to 10-15 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    . . . for me, preseating the family saves time . . .

1) It has been proved that it is not faster.
    2) Taking a table can double the time AT THE TABLE.
    3) Thus, depriving others of a seat in busy time.

4) EXAMPLE:
    . . . ordering time of 20-min (with people sitting at table)
    . . . eating time takes 20-min
    . . . thus, a table is double-occupied
    . . . decreasing capacity of that table by 50%
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: