Quantcast Convince me to go back. Unacceptable visit.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Convince me to go back. Unacceptable visit.

We've visited each of the last 5 or 6 years, the last two with our entire family, but the most recent was unacceptable. Rude CMs, poor service, cold food, deteriorating Parks and more. We're due to go back with my wife's sister's family in August but for the first time we're hesitating. I'm thinking beach with the family instead. Thoughts???

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You're the only one who can decide what works for you and your family. While we've had glitches, we've never had a totally unacceptable visit.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the beach. It's been my experience that once you've had a terrible time somewhere, your return trip(s) will always be tainted by memories of the original bad incident. We've had our bad days at Disney, but never bad enough to not want to return. Sounds like you want to be convinced to go, but if I have to be talked into going somewhere, I probably really didn't want to go in the first place.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you might need a break after that visit. But it could also work out that your return visit is so great that you forget all about the bad one. Go where the spirit takes you. Good luck deciding.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Funny - was just there and had a great experience exactly opposite of wht you mentioned and it was crazy crowded.

Maybe the best advice is take a year or two off - do something else, then try again.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with some of the above posters maybe it is time to take a break. If you need someone to convince you to go then I get the feeling you really do not want to go. Maybe after a year or two break you will want to go back again and capture the magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Basket Mommy View Post
    Go to the beach. It's been my experience that once you've had a terrible time somewhere, your return trip(s) will always be tainted by memories of the original bad incident. We've had our bad days at Disney, but never bad enough to not want to return. Sounds like you want to be convinced to go, but if I have to be talked into going somewhere, I probably really didn't want to go in the first place.
    I agree.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of in the flow with the rest of the folks...I say to give it a break for a year or two (say until after the fantasyland upgrade)...America's a big place and there are lots of other place to see...then give it a try again after the bad taste is gone.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain. The quality has diminished tremendously over the past 5 years. This last trip a few months ago made us feel the same as you. We have planned a cruise for next summer and are thinking about the beach as well. This is coming from a WDW nut who was going twice a year until recently. The food is mediocre at best now but what really turned me was not getting to see Fantasmic. They only show it a few nights a week now to increase their profits and it just did not fit into our schedule while we were there. I am still fuming about that one.

Post Thanks / Like

I would take a break as well.

A bad experience can be had anywhere. So can a good. Give it sometime. You will miss it.

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. Wait until the disappointment has gone, and you will have a much more enjoyable time.
    Jen :)

CR-1981
    offsite-1985
    Marriott Grande Vista 2002
    WL 2004
    Poly 2005
    CR Atrium Club 2006
    Poly 2007
    Beach Club CL, Grand Floridian 2008
    Beach Club CL 2009
    GF Royal Palm Club CL 2010
    WL CL 2011
    CR Presidential Suite 2012
    BC Club Level 2012
    Poly CL 2015

Post Thanks / Like

There's still a few cabins open on our cruise, come along! It's going to be a blast!

Post Thanks / Like

I would also take a break. There is nothing wrong with not going to Disney all the time, and there are other great ways to spend your vacation time and money (I can't believe I'm saying this!)

Take a year or two off, do other things you enjoy, and then if you want, take a look at another Disney trip.

As a PP poster said, once some of the upgrades and changes are done, and you've been away for a bit, I expect it will be a great experience again!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I had a bad experience on my previous 2 trips... my now ex-MIL was a drag... "had" to smoke every 15mins... so we had to stop at every single smoking section all the time...

I got fed up and vowed i would NEVER return.

Turns out all I need to do was take some time off (6 years) and ditch the baggage... got rid of her and my now ex-wife!

Found an amazing girl that loves disney (and doesn't smoke) and we just had the trip of our life time (until our honeymoon next dec )

So yes, take time off and try some different places. I always seem to fall back to disney after being away for a long time
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Why should we convince you to go back? Your presence in the parks is totally up to you. It makes very little difference to anyone outside your family. My family and I will continue to enjoy WDW several times a year.

Hope to see you there, if not, its your loss.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that's awfully frustrating when you have a terrible time at Disney. That happened to us one year - awful experience. I wasn't sure I wanted to go back at ALL.

Take some time off - do something else for a while...... the national parks out west are really nice.
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most everyone. Take a break. This is what we did. We went on a cruise (Royal Carribian & hated it) and then said let's just do one island (Aruba). While doing one island at a time was more our thing we found we can do all that and more at Disney. I have read so many posts on the hugh costs and lower service at WDW but in comparison we get ALOT more bang for our buck at Disney. But as said you must make that decision for yourself.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

If one of my friends came to me and said their boyfriend / girlfriend treated them horribly, they just broke up, but..... they want me to convince them to get back with that person, I think I'd be a little

If Disney quality and service is really going downhill but we keep going back (voting with our wallets so to speak), it's not going to make Disney change a thing. Do something else, I vote for one of the nat'l parks out west like an earlier poster said.

Post Thanks / Like

If your last trip was that bad then take a year off from visiting WDW. See if the "urge" to go back reappears.
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't expect so many. The problem is the overall experience is no longer worth the $$$. The overpriced dining continues to deteriorate. Buffets are shrinking in variety. The quality is shrinking with it. And our server at the Yachtsman last time, while quite freindly, was practically unable to communicate with us because his English was so bad. It wasn't a single experience. Service was lacking at every restaurant, perhaps because of cutbacks. And the only place to get a filet is at signature restaurants now.
    The parks do not have the pristine beauty and manicured lawns and topiary they once had. And quite frankly I'm just tired of waiting in lines for an hour for a 30 second ride. Living 2 hours from Cedar Point, the top rated amusement park in the country is is a close option for the rides .

And does it seem like every CM working the desk is in training and can't answer most of your questions or is it just the ones I go to?

If this were the first bad experience I would agree with most of you. But I think you all have to agree. The quality continues to fall while the prices continue to climb. I can take all my kids and their families to the beach for a week. oceanfront, for the price of a week in Disney for just the two of us. And I think from the apparent decling post count on this board a lot of people are thinking the same way as I am. We'll see. Next visit would be August. I'll let you know how we decide in a few months. Have to decide early or we wont be able to get in to any restaurants. Hmmm...maybe that's a good thing. ;-(

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you return to WDW with the attitude that you have about it right now. It's my philosophy that mental attitude accounts for the majority of whether or not something is fun. I know there are things that I've done before that I've thoroughly enjoyed but those same things haven't been as fun at a different time due to a change in my attitude even though the actual experiences themselves really haven't changed all that much. Basically, if you go into a WDW trip with dread and thinking you won't have a good time, then you definitely won't have a good time. Wait until you feel like you will enjoy it again before you return is my advice.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: