Quantcast New high-tech, innovative Disney Stores and renovations announced

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New high-tech, innovative Disney Stores and renovations announced

January 13, 2011|By Steven Ford, Orlando Sentinel

You might see a few new things the next time you visit your favorite Disney Store, and it won’t necessarily be the merchandise on the shelves.
    Disney is moving ahead with plans to add more than 25 new and remodeled stores this year. But don’t expect to see just more reincarnations of existing stores. *Rather these new and revamped sites will be variations of the high-tech, interactive concept stores that were built at several locations in 2010, including the new Times Square flagship location in New York City.
    These so-called “immersive” stores are designed with entertaining and time-saving innovations, such as interactive displays to entice and entertain kids, and store clerks armed with mobile electronic devices that alleviate the need for customers to stand at line at cash registers. Disney, which made the announcement at this week’s giant National Retail Federation conference in New York, said it plans to eventually change all of its 350-plus stores to the new high-tech concept.

The newly designed stores will open in cities including Atlanta, Seattle and San Antonio, Texas. Also, the Mall of America in Minnesota will get its first Disney Store, as will Puerto Rico, and Dublin, Ireland, and Copenhagen, Denmark. New stores were planned for Canada, as well.

The high-tech innovations being used in the new concept stores are another way for Disney to attract customers to its stores as much for the experience as for making purchases. *Some of the new technology includes digital marketing signs that feature specific content for the individual stores. A “magical mirror” will allow children to see Disney characters. And kids will be able to design and play with their own cars inspired by the Pixar “Cars” franchise.
    And, using Oracle’s retail-sales technology, the new Disney Stores will feature clerks equipped with specially designed Apple iPod touches. Much as customers to any Apple Store today can purchase merchandise from anywhere on the sales floor, the Disney Store clerks also will be able to take customers’ credit card information with their iPods and complete the sale anywhere in the store, eliminating the need for customers to stand in line at a central register.
    Another benefit of this point-of-sale transaction is that Disney Store employees will be able to, in real time and standing beside the customer, access not just their store’s in-house merchandise but also will be able to help customers tap into the inventory of DisneyStore.com. Go to a Disney Store to purchase a Minnie Mouse beach towel, only to find out the store is sold out? No problem, because the Disney Store worker will be able to track it down online.
    And the Oracle software also offers other benefits for the company, as well. For example, the electronic data can identify customers based on previous sales habits and other profile information. It can track sales to help more easily facilitate merchandise returns, and it can identify discounts and promotions more readily.
    There are more than 200 Disney Store locations in North America, and scores more worldwide.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to NYC back in November - spent alot of my time in the Times Square Disney Store It was AMAZING. My DD loved the "playroom" where they could color and watch clips from movies - that they got to choose! Too cute! The cast members were just amazing - just like Disney! I was on Yet another GREAT Disney experience!!!

Rose

"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly" - Lauren Bacall

Post Thanks / Like

They "re-imagined" my store last year. I've been to the mall at least 3 times and just pass on by. It looks no different, really. Actually, it looks more aimed at children, so that doesn't entice me to come in. And hand over my credit card from "anywhere in the store?" Yeah, not gonna happen.

I was surprised to learn that the Mall of America didn't have a Disney Store!
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

One odd note-- the article mentions that the Mall of America will get its first Disney store. I'm sure that's news to the employees at the store that already work there. I've been there several times myself so I know its there. Not sure who dropped the ball on this research so it makes you wonder what other errors are in here.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just settle for some really good merchandise like in the old days...
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    One odd note-- the article mentions that the Mall of America will get its first Disney store. I'm sure that's news to the employees at the store that already work there. I've been there several times myself so I know its there. Not sure who dropped the ball on this research so it makes you wonder what other errors are in here.
    Thought that sounded pretty strange lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BellesRose View Post
    I was surprised to learn that the Mall of America didn't have a Disney Store!
    They do, at least when I was there last month. Maybe they meant the first one with the new design?
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BellesRose View Post
    They "re-imagined" my store last year. I've been to the mall at least 3 times and just pass on by. It looks no different, really. Actually, it looks more aimed at children, so that doesn't entice me to come in.
    I totally agree! We have one of the 'new' stores here in Tampa, and I was really disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

The Mall of America has had a Disney store since they opened in 1991. It has been "rehabbed" once already (and it's not great now-used to be so much nicer), so I for one am looking forward to a new look to it!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roses View Post
    I went to NYC back in November - spent alot of my time in the Times Square Disney Store It was AMAZING. My DD loved the "playroom" where they could color and watch clips from movies - that they got to choose! Too cute! The cast members were just amazing - just like Disney! I was on Yet another GREAT Disney experience!!!
    I am sorry, I cannot disagree more. While I will say the Times Square is a great store. The old World of Disney store was much better. This new store is a larger, glorified mall store. While, when I am in NYC, I will go in there, I would rather go into the Toys R Us store there than The Disney Store. I think Toys R Us has done a much better job.

Post Thanks / Like

The new stores are very cool however if you are over the age of 8 it wears off quickly and you will probably leave empty handed as most of the merchandise is for the 10 and under crowd.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    I am sorry, I cannot disagree more. While I will say the Times Square is a great store. The old World of Disney store was much better. This new store is a larger, glorified mall store. While, when I am in NYC, I will go in there, I would rather go into the Toys R Us store there than The Disney Store. I think Toys R Us has done a much better job.
    While you are intitled to your own opinion, I have a Toys R Us In my town. The closest Disney Store is NYC, which is 3 1/2 hours away. So, I appreciate ANY Disney there is that I can visit. I also appreciate them revamping and giving the technological era a try. Kudos to Disney for trying something different and daring to make a change.

Rose

"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly" - Lauren Bacall

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roses View Post
    While you are intitled to your own opinion, I have a Toys R Us In my town. The closest Disney Store is NYC, which is 3 1/2 hours away. So, I appreciate ANY Disney there is that I can visit. I also appreciate them revamping and giving the technological era a try. Kudos to Disney for trying something different and daring to make a change.
    If I had kiddos under 10 anymore, I'm sure I'd love the new design. The Cars build area is very cool, and the Castle/magic mirror a nice touch (although very small). But for those of us hoping for more adult merchandise, it's a big letdown. AND I see the point of those in NYC (locals and tourists alike) who used to have the unique option of the World of Disney store, and that little slice of Disney away from the parks. Now the Times Square location is just like the one found here in Tampa, for example. Kinda lame.

Oh, and the Toys 'R Us in Times Square is totally cool, and definitely a unique location from their stores nationwide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I totally agree! We have one of the 'new' stores here in Tampa, and I was really disappointed.
    Mel, where is the "new" store in Tampa? Is it the one at International Plaza? If so, I see what you mean. I was just there when visiting my Mom at Christmas and was not impressed. One table of adult tees and a rack of adult outerwear. That's it?!
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Mel, where is the "new" store in Tampa? Is it the one at International Plaza? If so, I see what you mean. I was just there when visiting my Mom at Christmas and was not impressed. One table of adult tees and a rack of adult outerwear. That's it?!
    Yep, that's it Christine. And look, you were there and didn't even know it was a 'new' concept. That should tell you something right there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Yup, that's the mall I was talking about. Every time I go to International, I skip it. I spend my time and money in the Godiva store!

Post Thanks / Like

The Times Square Store is just a larger, glorified Disney Store. The old store felt like you were in Downtown Disney at their World of Disney store.

I don't feel the Times Square store is a destination store anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Well you beat my local DS by one rack of adult outwear.

All we have is the table of adult tees.

This is another in a long line of baffling decisions Disney has made. They had a chain of Disney Stores that carried truly unique merchandise that appealed to a wide variety of customers and that printed money.

They made some very poor (in my opinion) management decisions and overbuilt the chain instead of keeping them a more specialty store/destination endeavor.

So in the end they did what they've done everywhere ... swap out the unique, quality merchandise for a slew of made-in-China garbage that you could pick up just as easily (and more cheaply) at the local Target.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    They made some very poor (in my opinion) management decisions and overbuilt the chain instead of keeping them a more specialty store/destination endeavor.

So in the end they did what they've done everywhere ... swap out the unique, quality merchandise for a slew of made-in-China garbage that you could pick up just as easily (and more cheaply) at the local Target.
    It's the Disney way... They are masters at making money...

Really, I can't help but think the TDS swap with Children's Place was planned way back. I'm sure they sold the stores at a "loss" on the books and then bought them back for a song after Hoop Retail took a bath on them. Disney maintained almost complete control over the stores except for the admin costs. That they never gave up control over disneystore.com is what solidifies it in my mind.

I'm thinking to think of the last time I went into our local store. It was before Christmas for sure, maybe it was before our July trip.

We were just in the mall the other day and my wife asked about stopping in to see what they had. I thought to myself, "Ehhh... You know there's nothing there and you will have to truck up a flight of stairs, only to come back down to get out of the mall." We passed, saved myself about 10 minutes of disappointment...

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny ... DW and I used to be the driving force in our family for visits to the Disney Store. It almost gave you that little dose of "Disney" when you weren't in the parks and there was always something fun and cool to see.

Not to mention that the Cast in my store was there for over a decade and we knew them all by name, knew their families, they knew us, etc.

Now the kids beg us to go and half the time we're like, "No, we were just there a few weeks ago. There's nothing new from last time."

And it's not inconvenience either. Most times we walk right by it and keep on going. Nothing to see here ...
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: