Quantcast Trading with kids

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trading with kids

Hi all,

I ran into a problem on my last trip to DL that I had never encountered before -- tons of little to teen aged girls rushing me in order to trade pins with me. Now my pins are all special to me, lots of bling, and they are wanting to trade those cheap ones (the $1 pins you get for ten years of pin trading) for my huge golden enchanted heart or my rare Humphrey pins (which I would never part with).

Well, I hated to tell them no but I absolutely could not trade with them so I went online and bought a lot of 60 pins for like $45, gave my boys all the ones they wanted for trading and kept all the "girlie" ones that they would never have on their lanyards. So anyway, I have an extra lanyard now with about 25 Disney princess pins to mollify the kids with, without having to be rude. It didn't cost me that much, my sons are thrilled and I can make a little bit of magic of my own.

Just wanted to share that idea
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I have NEVER experienced this. In fact we have never traded with a guest. AND I absolutely understand! No way am I letting go of my pins.

Now I have bought a "lot" of pins before for us to use for traders, and have "gifted" some pins to some little guests...but trading? no.

Sounds like you came up with a good solution, though.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, I was shocked too lol -- although now that I have the other pins, probably it will never happen again
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Post Thanks / Like

Once I traded one of my treasured Ariel pins to a cute little girl of 7 at our bus stop at our resort. She was so sweet that I couldn't say no and later in that trip, I had the great luck to be able to find that same pin again. I generally don't trade with other guest either - in fact, now I carry my trading pins in my bag and don't even wear a lanyard.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... that has never happend to us before. I guess we are not as approachable on a scooter.

DD now has all her pins in a Disney pin bag. She only trades with the CM's. There is one CM that she wants to avoid (he always wants her to smile, she is more serious in her actions). John (security gurad) is really nice and corners us every time and has given her some really nice pins without trading for them. When we see him I just tell her "smile"

I used to wear a lanyard with my LE /AP pins. If some one asked, I just explained that they are for display only. No hurt feelings. I just keep them home now. I also got DD a bunch of pins on EBAY to use as traders. Now that I did that, she doesn't trade as much. She is into the Vinylmation trading.

Hope your solution works for you
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    I generally don't trade with other guest either - in fact, now I carry my trading pins in my bag and don't even wear a lanyard.
    I keep my favorites at home in my book and only take the ones I'm willing to part with on my trip. I'll carry the lanyard and trade with CMs, but once I get a pin that I covet, I put it in my bag and don't display it anymore.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IloveJack View Post
    I keep my favorites at home in my book and only take the ones I'm willing to part with on my trip. I'll carry the lanyard and trade with CMs, but once I get a pin that I covet, I put it in my bag and don't display it anymore.
    That's how I do it, too, though I've only traded with a non-cast member once.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    That's how I do it, too, though I've only traded with a non-cast member once.
    I traded with one non-cast member once and it was an eye opener. When you're trading with the CMs you tend to forget that other people don't HAVE to trade with you...and if they are willing to trade it's with a pin of their choice from your landyard.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We have never traded pins, but did notice the frenzy they created on the cruise we were on. We decided to give it a try for our first trip and have purchased quite a few--everyone had to focus on some favorites, because, wow! could you go broke with these!! We also bought a bunch for trading. Would you recommend leaving the favs at home? My 10 yr old DD attracts little ones like crazy and I want her to feel comfortable with this. She is very excited and is getting her lanyard ready and is planning on wearing it everywhere.
    Lynne

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children"--Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lynnek View Post
    We have never traded pins, but did notice the frenzy they created on the cruise we were on. We decided to give it a try for our first trip and have purchased quite a few--everyone had to focus on some favorites, because, wow! could you go broke with these!! We also bought a bunch for trading. Would you recommend leaving the favs at home? My 10 yr old DD attracts little ones like crazy and I want her to feel comfortable with this. She is very excited and is getting her lanyard ready and is planning on wearing it everywhere.
    My 10yo DD trades all the time, but she keeps her's in a pin book. If she were wearing a lanyard, I would only have her wear the ones she is willing to trade. We have been stocking up on trader pins from Ebay. The only thing is, she likes most of them so we end up with half a lot of traders and half keepers. I also keep some of the pins in a ziploc bag in my purse.

Have fun trading
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lynnek View Post
    Would you recommend leaving the favs at home?
    I would definitely recommend leaving favorites at home, and even once she trades for one she likes, I'd have a bag or somewhere to stash it away. We only wear what we are willing to trade on our lanyards. Have fun!
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others. i only wear pins on my lanyard that I am willing to trade. I learned my lesson once when i traded away something I shouldn't have - the heat of the trading moment what can I say . In the past, I had only been approached a few times over a number of years. This year though, when we were there in Sept, was the first time in a number of years that I had been approached multiple times by other guests to trade. I was really surprised, but it was fun. I know that I only have pins on my lanyard I am willing to part with, so the little ones can pick any one they want. i did however encounter a little boy about 7 who didn't want to trade me anything back! But he finally parted with one because I had one he REALLy wanted.
    POFQ 09/2013, 09/2014, 09/2015
    WL 09/2011, 09/2012
    POR 09/2010, 09/2009, 09/2008, 05/2007, 05/2006, 05/2004,
    AKL 05/2003
    POR 05/2001, 10/98
    Next POP 9/2016
    All Star Sports 09/95
    Honeymoon Dixie Landings Aug 1994
    1978 first visit to Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I have only pins for keeps we enjoy having them to show off but not for trade. I enjoy wearing them though they are fun conversation starters (especially my Ohio State Buckeye pin). My DS is usually with us he has his trading lanyard that he wears and has his keeper lanyard at home, we send the traders his way. More like he steps in he loves it!
    Cassi
    1987 on site and Disney cruise
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Sept.28- Oct.4 2008 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    January 2009 Bonnet Creek
    Sept 28 - Oct. 4 2009 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ
    Coming Soon! Feb. 12-19 2012 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

There were stories a while back about pin sharks using their kids to try and swindle rare pins for commons. Since then I've given up on the guest trading... Went online using pin pics and have some decent luck, but now I've lost interest in the sport.

Disney saturated the market, and that killed it for me...

Post Thanks / Like

oh, Eeyore
    Cassi
    1987 on site and Disney cruise
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Sept.28- Oct.4 2008 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    January 2009 Bonnet Creek
    Sept 28 - Oct. 4 2009 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ
    Coming Soon! Feb. 12-19 2012 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post

Disney saturated the market, and that killed it for me...
    Luckily I've only ever gone after ones I like, but they definitely flooded to the point there's no way you could keep up.

My wife was annoyed with the 'Good" series of pins. To her it showed that they really did make a pin for everything because they know peoples will buy it. She laughed and put it on her 'keep board' when I found one and traded to get it for her.
    There seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

When in doubt, I think it's a good idea to follow the same guidelines the CMs follow: Pins on a lanyard are available to trade, and if you want to wear a "showcase" pin, wear it on your collar or somewhere else on your shirt rather than on the lanyard. If you don't want to trade them, don't wear them on a pin lanyard -- it confuses other traders and can lead to hurt feelings.

If you like to wear more than one pin but don't care to trade, vests, hats and jackets make great backgrounds for pins without suggesting you're a trader.

Just my opinion; your mileage may vary. But as a trader, I'm always confused when someone is wearing a lanyard with pins they won't trade. If I'm not willing to part with it, you won't see it on my lanyard -- the keepers are in the binders (and binders, and binders) at home.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

Pins, for me, are jewelry -- plain and simple. I am not required to trade and no one should have hurt feelings if I am unwilling to do so. IMO it is profoundly silly to EXPECT someone to part with a pin just because it is on their lanyard. I don't have a right to any of the pins on someone's lanyard anymore than they have a right to mine.

CM's are employees, I am a guest, so their rules are not going to factor in to my thinking. I cannot imagine buying a pin and putting it in a folder, but if someone else wants to do it that's fine.

My original reason for starting the thread was just to give an idea of how to deal with kids wanting to trade when you aren't a trader. Trading isn't required, after all -- it is simply fun for many.

And even if I was a trader, I would never trade a $15 pin for one that costs next to nothing, even if they give me big doe eyes lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Pins are jewelry for me too. I wear one almost every day, on my collar or on my jacket lapel even when I'm dressed up. I love my pins and enjoy showing them off. All I'm saying is that a system and culture of pin trading exists at Disney such that wearing pins specifically on a lanyard is how you indicate to people that you are a pin trader. So when you wear pins on a pin lanyard, don't be surprised when people expect you to be at least willing to discuss a trade.

No, of course nobody has a right to your pins, and nobody has a right to be rude no matter what. As a guest, you get to negotiate (or refuse) trades as it suits you. It might save you some trouble to wear your pins on your hat/vest/shirt rather than on a lanyard, but obviously it's entirely up to you.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

While we were at WDW a few weeks ago my DD and I traded over 150 pins...what fun we had! But the only way to do that was to wear a lanyard with "tradeable" pins every morning when you start out. As the day went on we ran out of pins we had not traded for. It so happened that I traded for a "key" pin that I wasn't really attached to and a little boy came up to an hour or so later wanting to trade with me for "key" pins...I was so happy to have one I could trade him.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media: