Quantcast Universal lousy for handicapped

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Universal lousy for handicapped

DW and I are both ECV users. She has her own but I rent one.
    The handicapped parking area is too far from where I had to go to rent an ECV. I managed to do the walk in the morning, with great effort. Upon leaving, I just knew that I could not handle that long walk again. The rental place would not allow me to take the ECV back to the parking area, but they did offer a manual wheelchair, which may have worked if I had some one else to push me. I had to go to guest relations office to complain. There, they arranged for a van to pick me up and drive me to my car.
    It looks like Universal is now off limits to me.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Sorry to hear about your poor experience.

I'm going to move this thread over to the Guests with Special Needs Forum, where other INTERCOTee's who use ECV's may be able to help offer suggestions for a better experience should you decide to visit again.

Please keep all hands, arms, and legs inside the thread until it comes to a complete stop ...
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

i totally agree...
    after hearing about the size limits that they have for main ride for Harry Potter....that if you weigh over 260 or too tall you can't ride it, my sister and both said at the same time "disney would never do that"...i'm 350 and there's not one ride i have not been able to ride at disney.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

We were going to go there to see the Harry Potter section this coming January. After hearing and reading about the way things are done there in regards to handicapped and size, we are not spending our money there. Why go somewhere where they obviously don't want you there. Sure they will gladly take your money, but won't make you feel like you are welcome to be there. We will spend more days at Disney, where you feel welcomed.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you had a poor experience!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering about this, and the answers are expected. I am a double amputee and can not stand for long periods and do not want to use an ECV or wheel chair. WDW has always gave me a GAC with no problem.

Other parks about 5-6 years ago would give me something comparable to a GAC so I would not have to stand in line for long periods of time but no longer. Besides Disney, all other parks will tell you that if you are handicap you have to buy their "Fast Pass like" (all parks have different names for it flash pass etc.) service. If you get a supervisor over they will give you a slip thats like a stone age fast pass where you have to walk up the exit to have a park employee give you a time to come back. Most big attractions have long exit ques that you will have to travel 4 times (once to get time then back down then back up to ride then back down again) to ride once lol. It does not accommodate.

It seems that due to a large amount of people abusing the systems its hard to accommodate these days but thats not an excuse.Disney accommodates me every time without question. That keeps me going there year after year. My local parks? eh not really anymore. I have only been to Universal once in 1996 and really have not been back since I know they probably will not accommodate. thanks for the info!
    96 - All-Star Music
    99 - All-Star Music
    04 - Off-site
    05 - All-Star Movies/Music/Off-site (AP)
    06 - All-Star Music/Off-site (AP)
    07 - All-Star Movies
    08 - POP Century
    09 - POP Century/Off-site
    10 - Coronado Springs/CBR/All-Star Sports (AP)
    11 - All-Star Music 1/9! (AP)

Post Thanks / Like

I also have to add that Universal is horrible for pregnant women as well. I could not go on ANYTHING when I was pregnant and was only able to see shows there. It's not worth paying full price for just shows.
    Sorry you had an awful experience with the ECV They really should be ashamed of themselves for doing that.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: