Quantcast Wheelchair

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Wheelchair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheelchair

Wondering how much a motorized wheelchair costs currently per day? Also, wondering if that cost is a deposit that you get back daily?

Will my mother-in-law need a doctor's note if she is unable to stand in line for long durations? If so, what exactly will the note need to say?

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

No doctor's note is required in order to rent an ECV (electric chair). You may want to explore renting from an off-site provider for the duration of your trip rather than renting from the park. After all, you will not be able to take the ECV from the park to your bus stop or vice versa and some of the walks from bus stops to park entrances can be quite lengthy. Additionally, she'll be able to have it with her all the time, even when you're not in the parks.

I don't remember the most recent price for renting at Disney but I seem to recall they had a significant price increase in rentals about a year or so ago. Renting is not free so it's not the case of just putting down a refundable deposit.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

the note is something that doesn't have to be advanced. jUst something simple like you ahve a bad back , back knee, whatever, and they will issue you the past. Remember the CM who gives it to you is not a doctor.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no, I knew they were not a DR. I assumed that she would need a note from her doctor to state that she cannot wait in long lines. I am surprised that they would not require that???
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back Sat. I always rent my mom a wheelchair from an outside company. She can walk but not long the long distances of the parks. There are very few rides that you do not have to stand in even with a wheelchair. The new ride lines were designed wide enough for a wheelchair.
    Any questions just let me know I will be glad to answer.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have pointed out, you may rent a wheelchair or ECV (not a motorized wheelchair but a scooter) on a daily basis at the entrance of each park. The cost is $12 a day per wheelchair and $50 per day for an ECV (plus a $20 deposit). Depending on the time of year and what time of day you arrive, you may not find ECVs available for rent. Also, certain bus stops can be rather far from the park entrance.

As for the ability to rent a mobility device, you do not need a letter from your doctor. Nor would you need the letter for the Guest Assistance Card (this has to do with privacy laws). You can certainly bring the letter if you'd like but it is not a requirement.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: