Quantcast Accessability at POTC

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Accessability at POTC

and other rides that you need to transfer.

I have been studying the Guide for guests with disabilities that my friend sent to me.
    I noticed that there are several attractions that shows transfering from an ECV to a wheelchair.

Are rollators/ walkers subject to that as well? How does it all work out? I have never been on the WDW POTC since we go to the one at DL all the time.

Thanks,
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

With my dad (who was in a wheelchair) they would sometimes let us put the wheelchair in the last row if it wasn't a busy time...other times, he had to get out of his chair and into the boat...and they had his chair waiting for us at the end.

There is a special handicap entrance around the back...but it's fun to go through the regular line.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    With my dad (who was in a wheelchair) they would sometimes let us put the wheelchair in the last row if it wasn't a busy time...other times, he had to get out of his chair and into the boat...and they had his chair waiting for us at the end.

There is a special handicap entrance around the back...but it's fun to go through the regular line.
    Were you able to use the wheelchair all the way up to the boarding area? If so would I be able to use a rollator(walker with 4 wheels/seat)all the way to the boarding area? The rollator is not as wide as a wheelchair.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experiance with my rollator it all depends on the CM. Some let me get in at the wheelchair area and leave it on the dock, others have let me get in at the regular boarding area and then walked it? to the exit. I have only ever had a problem once where a CM at the entrace said I could not take it and I would need to park it, I told them I could not stand long enough for that ( I have sciatic nerve damage from a prev. injury) and he got a little irritated said whatever and let me in the normal line. This is not the norm, I have never had a problem any other time (once in 5 trips all two weeks or longer).
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I are both ECV riders. Neither of us can walk far or stand long.POTC was a painful attraction for us.Where we had to park our ECVs was a long walk from the ride exit.
    We only did this ride once.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We do this ride frequently -- it is a great ride, but a rather hard transfer from a wheelchair. In our experience, mobility devices have been consistently allowed to the boat dock itself. The walkways down are lit dimly, bit ramped smoothly.
    At the docks, you are not hurried, but the transfer requires stepping down into the boats. There are not good handholds - so it is best to have someone physically calpable board the boat first -- and be able to semi-catch the guest with walking difficulties. Exiting the boat is also a challenge. Having someone else exit first - be on the dock to pull - works best for us.
    As to the carrying of the chairs / walkers --
    I'm not sure if it changed again -- but, sometime last year, they stopped allowing wheelchairs and the like to be placed in the back of the boat. Since that time, a cast member has been taking the mobility devices from the loading dock - walking out around the building - and bringing them to the unloading dock. In both styles of transporting the chairs to the exit - they have arrived in time (both require that all bags / loose items be removed from the mobility device and carried with you in the boat.)

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have seen at POTC and a few other attractions, if you try to enter the line using a full sized ECV you will be asked to park it. If you say that you cannot walk from the parking area, they will produce a manual wheelchair for you to use in line and will park your ECV. (Some people use the convenience vehicle for pleasure rather than need -- they tend to assume, but should be gracious if you explain you have a need.) Manual wheelchairs are kept at the attractions for this purpose.
    You will be required to wheel yourself in the manual chair, or have someone with you to assist -- cast members can't assist you through the line.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: