Quantcast What do you do with your pets while visiting WDW? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We always have my sister or my ex come and stay at our place to watch the dogs, that way they have their normal schedule and environment and our smells etc. They still miss us to be sure but at least they only have to deal with us not being there and not a whole new environment as well. The funniest is coming home, our Dashhound will come running up and kiss us like crazy but my boston terrier she will first come say hi then remember that we left her for a week and then proceeds to ignore us and give us the cold shoulder for a few days so she knows she is not impressed nor does she need us... of course once she has made us suffer for a day or two she is all snuggles and kisses

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjm12000 View Post
    my boston terrier she will first come say hi then remember that we left her for a week and then proceeds to ignore us and give us the cold shoulder for a few days so she knows she is not impressed nor does she need us... of course once she has made us suffer for a day or two she is all snuggles and kisses
    Your terrier sounds like our cat. She will come out to say Hi and then not want to hang with us. She does not like people other than us so having someone come to spend time with her is worthless...she wont come out even if she is lonely! She used to drag my DD's stuffed animals out of her room while we were on vacation. Like she was torturing them to say "this can happen to you." Now she just give us the cold shoulder until she has forgiven us. The dog on the other hand is very forgiving, thus making her...a dog. LOL
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

My mother or nephew would house sit and take care of our babies This year it is just me and the kids so hopefully my husband will be around to take care of them if not I will just take them to my moms for the weeks
    1972 - 1995 - Stayed with family or camped
    1996 - 2003 - All Stars
    2004 - Disneyland
    2006 - All Stars
    04/14/07 - Disney's Coronado Springs
    04/19/08 - Disney's Coronado Springs
    05/02/09 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    08/28/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

To Bad they don't have a special pet day at the parks... I mean I know why they wouldn't can you imagine the clean up, the chaos etc, but it would be so much fun to see my little dogs at Disney World, they love people and attention so much they would just explode from excitement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forever a child View Post
    I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad that your Son and Daughter were able to be there with him. I am almost crying thinking about it!

You sound just like me! When I had to make the decision to put our White Shepherd down...I had her cremated. I got a lovely rock with her name engraved and years she lived with a paw print on it as a marker stone. We poured her ashes in the creek behind my parents house that she loved so much and placed the marker stone by my parents house so I can look at it every time I visit.

I miss her so much but now we have this Aussie who needed us very much. She was deaf and perhaps would have not lived had we not adopted her...so I think Kimba, our first dog would have been pleased with us helping another one of her canines to have a nice life too. Again, sorry for your loss!
    Thank you so much for your kind words, most people don't understand the loss i feel, they think it's just a dog. sabre was a rescue dog as well, he was beaten severely as a puppy while being clipped up. He was able to love and was wonderful to children but never got over his fear of being clipped up completely. He was fine after he was clipped but it took me 2 years to be able to clip him. Then he would put any stick or rock in his mouth to avoid nipping. Even at the end , he would get nervous and I would kiss his head and he would sigh and lean into me. He trusted us and was wonderful with children but never completely got over it

Post Thanks / Like

Sabre sounds like a sweet, wonderful dog. I'm sorry for your loss.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Sabre sounds like a sweet, wonderful dog. I'm sorry for your loss.
    Thank you, he was a very special dog. He had a strange gift, he could smell illness. he checked his family every day by smelling their breath! If he lingered ,you knew that you were coming down with something. He was able to predict my sons ear, nose and throat problems before the doctor!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Disney Fan View Post
    Our cat could really care less if we are around or not - he usually stays home by himself with 2 cat boxes, a 5 gallon auto water and a one gallon auto feeder, I think he likes having the house to himself!!
    This sounds like our two little kitties. They have two large litter boxes, an auto waterer, and a large food bowl. That along with their brother-sister bond keeps them happy for a while. We still have a friend come check on them and clean the boxes every couple days if we're going to be gone for a while. I think they like the time alone sometimes.
    Amanda

Next Visit:
    August 16-23, 2014: CBR

Virginia Tech
    HOKIES

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

My mom and my grandma (or, well, my mom's mom) take care of each others pets when they go on vaca, so grandma gets to take care of our 2 dogs and 1 cat when we go to WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Currently we have one cat and one dog and utilize a professional pet-sitting service to take care of them when we are gone. Years ago we boarded our (then) two dogs and it was extremely stressful for them. So we researched and interviewed and found a wonderful petsitter. Unfortunately, after caring for our pets for four years she moved last summer, so we had to start the process all over again. Thankfully we've found another petsitter who not only is reliable, but is truly warm and caring with our critters. She comes out 3 times a day when we are not here, so it is not cheap, but worth it.

Ideally, I wished we lived close enough to either my family or my husband's so that at least the dog could stay with them, but both parties live 1000-1500 miles away, so that's not an option.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Over the years we have used family, pet sitting services, and a Kennel for our dogs. I feel most comfortable putting them in a Kennel. This way I know they are not getting into any trouble at home when nobody is around and I can relax on vacation. Plus we are not asking anyone to come over two to three times a day to take care of them. Even though there is always a friend or family member that may offer to take care of them, I always feel like we are putting them out. We have 3 dogs, a 7 y/o rescue dog that was from a wild pack in the Cayman Islands, (We saved her as a puppy when the parents got killed and brought her home here, she looks like a coyote), a 2 y/o rescued Deaf White Boxer (how anyone could have laid a hand on this beautiful, sweet, gentle, lovable dog is beyond me), and a 4 y/o faun Boxer. They are always glad to see us when we get home, but also do not seem too upset that we left them. I think they like to socialize with the other dogs. I really like the Kennel we use, lots of private space for the dogs, plus a large enclosed play area for the dogs to play together in. The cat (9) gets an auto water and feeder and get's the house to herself. It is so much easier to relax on vacation if you are not constantly worrying if your four legged family members are ok.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Mgmnut, I assume your white Boxer was born deaf? Our Aussie is excessively white being double merle bred, so she was born deaf too. Theses are great dogs!
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

Our dog Winnie, is a shelter dog. We rescued her last summer. She has some agression issues with people (there was abuse in her past). So our fantastic dog trainer, who has helped us work with and deal with Winnie's many issues, also pet sits. She actually comes and stays at our house when we are out of town. I feel better knowing she is there at night, just in case something were to happen. Winnie knows our sitter/trainer and gets along with her very well now. The first time we left Winnie, it was a mess because she was scared and didn't know what was going on. But our trainer worked with her and Winnie progressed. We've now left Winnie with our sitter/trainer on at least 4 occasions from 2-6 days at a time. Due to our dog and her situation, a kennel would not be a good situation and she would probably think we dropped her off at the shelter. So for us, we will continue to use our trusted trainer for our sitter! It's important to have your pet, no matter where they go or who is watching them, to meet the person first or visit the location first. Our trainer had been to our house on several occasions for training sessions. So Winnie did know who she was and helped with the transitions.
    Dreaming of Disney World every day, until I can get back there again!
    Disneyland at least a dozen times growing up!
    July 1997- Wilderness Lodge (HS Graduation)
    December 2009 & 2010- POP Century (7th & 8th Wedding Anniversaries)
    November 2011, April 2012, October 2012, January 2013 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

In the past if we've been gone for more than a couple of days, we hired a college kid- usually a friend's kid or little sister or something- whoever would be available at the time. I preferred someone staying at the house. And since we knew their family, we trusted there would be no wild parties!

Lately we've just gone with hiring a pet sitter to come in twice a day. We have four cats (all special needs- one is diabetic, one is blind with high blood pressure; one is a little deaf guy, and one- well, we just call him Mr. Pukey-Pants...), three of them take medication daily. I know the pet sitter actually plays and spends time with them- I think even more than the people we would have staying at the house. Plus I am fanatical abut clean litter boxes, etc, and she has the same standards.
    It doesn't cost any more than what we were paying the college kids to stay at the house, and I know they are well taken care of.

Betteratmk- my thoughts are with you- it is heartbreaking to lose a part of your family like that. There are more people who understand how you feel than you think. Take care.
    July 1976-Off Site
    March 1993-Off-Site
    Oct. 1994-Port Orleans
    Feb. 1997-Port Orleans
    Dec. 1998-Dixie Landings-Cruise-Dixie Landings
    Nov. 2001-Caribbean Beach
    Nov. 2004-POR-CRUISE-POR
    Sept 2005 DL Paradise Pier
    Dec. 2006 POP
    Dec. 2007 CR
    Nov. 2008- POR
    Oct. 2010 BWV
    Nov. 2011 POR

Post Thanks / Like

We've rescued another dog on Wednesday, it was a very hard decision to make after my Sabre passed away, my son was having trouble sleeping and had nightmares every night. We went on his 13th birthday and brought home a 6 year old daschund named Lucky. Poor Lucky was neglected ,abused and shot at with a BB gun. He is a gentle soul, but i have to admit I'm having difficulty. It will take awhile to be able to rember Sabre happily.

Post Thanks / Like

We have 2 English Springer Spaniels. And they have puppies. (6!!!) But we never have brought them to wdw or dl but we leave them home with their favorite babysitter. I feel so bad leaving them. (we don't keep the 6 pups we sell them) But I do have to remember this is a vacation. All I'd do is if they were with me on vacation...I'd vist them probably every other day. Give them a bisicut or just walk with them for a bit. Then it would be their vacation too! (Cause there are more places to poop!)
    It's time to remember the magic!

Post Thanks / Like

We take our poodle to the vet for the week. We live in a small city, so our vet and staff know us and our dog well. While she's there, I have them give her any vaccinations that she may need, and then groom her the day that I'm picking her up. We've never had any problems.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I have my 20 year old niece come and housesit. She gets to have some freedom living alone for a week and we pay her $15-$20 per day.
    1979 First time!
    Then 1988,1989,1991...
    2004 (1st time with kids!)
    2007 (1st time onsite - Pop Century!)
    2008 Disneyland (We loved it too!)
    2010 Sheraton Vistana Villages
    2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek (Epcot View!)
    Next up: May 2013 Gram, Mom and Daughter Trip!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by betteratmk View Post
    We've rescued another dog on Wednesday, it was a very hard decision to make after my Sabre passed away, my son was having trouble sleeping and had nightmares every night. We went on his 13th birthday and brought home a 6 year old daschund named Lucky. Poor Lucky was neglected ,abused and shot at with a BB gun. He is a gentle soul, but i have to admit I'm having difficulty. It will take awhile to be able to rember Sabre happily.
    Congratulations on your newest family member! I know it is difficult. Our Aussie is our second dog, my first I had for 16 years and she was my baby and I still miss her so much to this day. Just remember that Lucky does not need to replace your dear Sabre but that Lucky needs a loving home now too. He is probably more scared and sad than you are because he has been neglected and abused. I hope you and your family find a way to love him just as much as Sabre, Congratulations! Thank you for taking in another rescue animal and giving them a second chance at a happy life!
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

We have a rabbit and also a 11yr old Golden Retriever. We have been lucky enough to have a single brother who lives at our house the entire time we are gone. I don't know if our golden would be able to be board at this stage in the game! He actually looks forward to having his "uncle" here while we are gone.

It is great if you have someone to check on them periodically and hopefully give them some attention while your gone. Then bring home lots of treats!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: