Quantcast What do you do with your pets while visiting WDW?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy What do you do with your pets while visiting WDW?

As our trip date approaches, I get excited. The one thing that always makes our trip a little less exciting is leaving our pets. DD has a cat that is going on 13 years old this fall and our Aussie is 4 years old. I always HATE leaving them behind especially when it is going to be over 8 days aways. Our Aussie is deaf (she was born deaf) and very attached to my DD. Since my DD is home schooled both animals are seldom left alone for very long. I have never boarded any of my animals. We have someone coming in to pet sit periodically through out the day.

I was just wondering what you all do? Is there anything that can make their time away from us a little better or easier? I really am beginning to worry a little about it, especially for our dog. Thanks for sharing and any advice you might have!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that stays at my house with my dogs, however this year that might not work out and am looking into kennels. I have an Aussie that's 16 and another sheppard that's 15, so they're older dogs and am concerned. If you end up putting them in a kennel I'd make sure to give them a towel, blanket or piece of clothing that smells like your daughter that will help confort them while you're away.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

the Magical Kingdom of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a big beautiful black lab named Sugar Moose who despises the kennel; usually she stays with my inlaws but this time, they're coming with us. So Moose will be having a vacation of her own...no doubt to her dismay. We also have three guinea pigs that go to my friend's home; since they're portable and easy, they've always got offers.
    Nicole Courson

Post Thanks / Like

Once I boarded my cat and he was traumatized- never again. He has to eat on a specific schedule and the boarder told me no problem; then when I dropped him off they changed thier tune and said they could not do that. I was very upset and I suspect that they lied and told me they fed him on schedule and really didn't. He was upset and jittery for a while even after we got home. Since then, my mom comes and stays in our house while we travel and cares for them. It makes a huge difference.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    Once I boarded my cat and he was traumatized- never again. He has to eat on a specific schedule and the boarder told me no problem; then when I dropped him off they changed thier tune and said they could not do that. I was very upset and I suspect that they lied and told me they fed him on schedule and really didn't. He was upset and jittery for a while even after we got home. Since then, my mom comes and stays in our house while we travel and cares for them. It makes a huge difference.
    My last dog, Kimba, was a white Shepherd. We used to take her to my parents every time we went out of town and for her it was a vacation too. She loved going there. They have a creek in the backyard that she would love to swim in. But she is no longer with us and we have relocated out of MI where my parents live. So we have to rely on friends or paying neighbors to take care of our pets. Up until last summer I always paid one of the neighborhood boys that our dog LOVED. But now they have relocated and so there isn't any more kids able to take care of them. I just like to make sure they are loved while we are gone
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forever a child View Post
    I was just wondering what you all do? Is there anything that can make their time away from us a little better or easier? I really am beginning to worry a little about it, especially for our dog. Thanks for sharing and any advice you might have!
    We take both of our dogs (poodle 9yrs old & bichon 2 yrs old) with us and they stay at the disney kennel at epcot while we are at the parks, then at night they come back to our off property hotel to stay the night with us. I could never leave my babies home.
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

ºoº "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

When we go over, our dog goes to spend the day (or week if we are staying) at my sister's. We call it Kimcare. She also is in charge of our cat. If we are there more than one day, she comes over twice, visits her and feed her. She checks the liter and makes sure the timer is working with the lights. Can't leave our Daisy in the dark.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

We have a 11 month old yellow lab, Bella. We boarded her for the first time in March for 4 days. We visited the kennel (a couple of them) and brought Bella in for a visit. She made out fine and had play time with other dogs (which was good for her). We boarded her for spring break in April when we went to Virginia and again, she did very well. The owners were impressed how calm she is for a lab. During her first boarding, I was a wreck the entire time worrying about her. But the second time, I was fine as I knew she did well the first time. I would consider someone coming to house sit for her when she gets older. But she needs to be in the crate when nobody is around for obvious reasons. Good luck.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

We have 2 dogs - Black Lab and Mini Dachsund and 1 cat. We have always kenneled our dogs on vacation, it does take some time to find the right kennel though. The one we take our dogs to, they are in the same kennel together, which is good for them. Our cat could really care less if we are around or not - he usually stays home by himself with 2 cat boxes, a 5 gallon auto water and a one gallon auto feeder, I think he likes having the house to himself!! the first trip or 2 the dogs were certainly glad to see us when we got back, but now they are used to the kennel and seem to know what's going on - they know we will be back
    Dean

"Scream like a girl" Expedition Everest

Sept. 2005 Caribbean Beach
    Oct... 2005 Animal Kindom Lodge
    Sept. 2006 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2007 All Star Music
    May 2008 All Star Movies
    April 2009 All Star Music
    Sept. 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2012 POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have the neighborhood friend come over and feed my dogs and my mom takes her cat to the Vet which she will do this time also. They take very good care of him there because he is so socialable and loves the vet...yes he loves the vet...There are pet sitters that come to your house you can ask your vet for the ones they recommend because I have found they don't advertise very much but they will come to your house and feed them.

Post Thanks / Like

DH & I have an 11 y/o dachshund/poodle mix and a 10 y/o old cat. When DH & I go, my mom usually comes over & stays--this way she can watch the pets & the house.

Now last November, my mom was unable to do that due to a health issue. We were lucky & the daughter of one of our friends watched the dog for us in her own home. It was great--the daughter is a vet assistant (tech?) who really loves animals & does pet sitting on the side. I think leaving my dog with someone she didn't know in an unfamiliar place was more traumatic for me than it was for the dog, lol!

For the same trip the cat stayed home alone, which she seemed to prefer, lol. It was a short trip (5 days), so we left her with a clean litter box, auto-feeder, and auto-water. She seemed disappointed to see us come back (well, me anyway--she loves DH, tolerates me).

Having the dog actually with someone (at least at night) made me feel better than if I had had someone coming in a few times a day to feed & walk her. Both pets are usually alone until DH & I come home from work, so I guess having the dog stay with someone made me feel like it was "business as usual" for the dog. This way seemed less stressful for the dog.
    Michael Bluth: I need access to these files that are apparently for British eyes only.
    Rita: Well, lucky for you, my whole face is British.

Post Thanks / Like

no pets....NO PROBLEMS!!!i had an english bulldog for 13 yrs and he passed on his birthday a few years back.i've never been able to replace him and probably won't.i am totally enjoying being pet free.no animal worries while at wdw!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it makes it easier if you find great people or a great boarding place to leave them. We leave our dogs at a kennel and we don't worry about them at all. They have a room of their own with a door that goes to their own outdoors area. They have supervised courtyard playtime with other dogs, if we want it. They have playtime with the kennel staff.

Our corgi had social problems with other dogs, with the exception of our pug, and they have worked to socialize her. Now she's able to play well with others. Our dogs are always happy when we drop them off and when we pick them up. I think they enjoy vacation as much as we do. It doesn't hurt that the kennel owners have genuine affection for our dogs (and I'm sure all the dogs and cats they care for). We're lucky to have found them.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

In the past, we have used Dog sitting services where the dogs are in a person's home. Initially it worked well, but on the last occasion we used them, our youngest Brittany came home skiddish... so somebody did something to freak him out. We used our Vet's kennel after that, and
    recently, my Mother in Law has been caring for our dogs. Our old Rory is going to be 13 this year, and a kennel would be awfully hard on him. My Sister moved in with us this year (with her two dogs), so they will be looking after our boys when we are away in May. No need to move anyone or disrupt anything!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

We've always had good luck and used the same kennel for our black lab Sabre. he knew theplace well and always seemed happy and content there. We just got back on Sunday from our trip to Disney. On Wednesday, we were contacted by the kennel that our beloved Sabre had had a massive seizure, he was transvered to our animal hospital and our daughter and son rushed to his side. They made the difficult decision and had him put to rest. When we made it home (a 2 day drive) my beloved Sabre was buried under the big pine tree in our upper yard( we live in the country) He faces our home and the family he loved. My heart is heavy and I can't stop crying, I miss him so. Please acclamate your pet to the kennel you choose before you go.

Post Thanks / Like

We've found boarding our 3 cats and bunny way too traumatic for them. Plus, it was a fortune.
    Now we leave them home and my MIL comes each day to feed them and scoop litter box. The cats do act out while we're gone. Having accidents outside of the litter box.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

I have two year & a half old 'kittens' who are extremely attached to me, especially one of them. Our neighbor comes in to feed them twice a day while we are away. Prior to these two, it never upset me to leave the others while we went away, but now I find it very hard leaving them even though I know they are in good care and are in their own home. They have been very well behaved while we have been gone.
    Next Trip: 2019-Yacht Club
    Resorts Stayed At Since 1994
    :
    Yacht Club (9 times)
    Beach Club (10 times)
    Animal Kingdom Lodge (1 time)
    Caribbean Beach (3 times)
    Dixie Landings (1 time)
    Contemporary Resort (1 time)

1987 Disney Music Days-Marched in EPCOT!!

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor watches our pets for us and gets our mail too~
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by betteratmk View Post
    We've always had good luck and used the same kennel for our black lab Sabre. he knew theplace well and always seemed happy and content there. We just got back on Sunday from our trip to Disney. On Wednesday, we were contacted by the kennel that our beloved Sabre had had a massive seizure, he was transvered to our animal hospital and our daughter and son rushed to his side. They made the difficult decision and had him put to rest. When we made it home (a 2 day drive) my beloved Sabre was buried under the big pine tree in our upper yard( we live in the country) He faces our home and the family he loved. My heart is heavy and I can't stop crying, I miss him so. Please acclamate your pet to the kennel you choose before you go.
    I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad that your Son and Daughter were able to be there with him. I am almost crying thinking about it!

You sound just like me! When I had to make the decision to put our White Shepherd down...I had her cremated. I got a lovely rock with her name engraved and years she lived with a paw print on it as a marker stone. We poured her ashes in the creek behind my parents house that she loved so much and placed the marker stone by my parents house so I can look at it every time I visit.

I miss her so much but now we have this Aussie who needed us very much. She was deaf and perhaps would have not lived had we not adopted her...so I think Kimba, our first dog would have been pleased with us helping another one of her canines to have a nice life too. Again, sorry for your loss!
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2013 - March F&G POP
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL

Post Thanks / Like

Our dogs are very people-oriented so I don't think we could leave them home and have a sitter come by a couple of times a day. One of them is a puppy mill rescue too so I would never think of sending them to a kennel as he has not ever had good memories of having been in one and I don't want to totally freak him out. He's timid as it is.

Usually my mom will watch them and we lived with my mom for a while between houses so they are very familiar with her and the house.

We also have a friend who is a science teacher who watches them for us when my mom comes with us. It works out well. I don't trust many people to watch them - especially for any length of time - they are our kids
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: