Quantcast Who has been to O'Hanas Lately?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Who has been to O'Hanas Lately?

Hello,
    I am in the middle of deciding on ADR's for 6 adults, one who is a vegetarian, one who is allergic to seafood and one who won't eat at buffets SO... Isn't this FUN? Ugh!
    Anyways, I thought O'hanas might be good since they have a lot of choices and it's not a buffet. Has anyone been their recently and if yes, what was on the menu? Do they still have shrimp? I am worried about my vegetarian sister having enough to eat.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    1992 DisneyWorld (Contemporary)
    1994 Disneyland

1996 DisneyWorld (CBR)
    2004 DisneyWorld (WL)
    2006 December DisneyWorld (WL)
    2008 November DisneyWorld (WL)
    2010 October-November DisneyWorld(WL)
    2011 November Disneyland Resort- Grand Californian

2015 WL Villas

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think this is the best place for a vegetarian because I always joke that it is all meat when you eat here and wish i had more side-dishes - that weren't meat...I believe it is turkey, shrimp and steak on the skewers that they serve...and then wings and won tons and a salad as your appetizers by checking the menu on intercot it also says they have pork Loin and sausage - we didn't get those last year, but our server didn't even offer us the steak either (we had poor service our last time there) I do love the atmosphere when you eat here but it is lots and lots of meat!
    1993-Off-site
    1995/1996-Caribbean Beach
    1997-Dixie Landing
    1998-Caribbean Beach
    1999-Coronado Springs
    2000-Grosvenor
    2001-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003-Caribbean Beach
    2005-POP/Coronado Springs
    2006/2007-POP
    2008/2009-Riverside
    2010 - Beach Club
    2011 - Riverside

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

From reading a post form someone else a little while ago...I think it was a trip report...the writer said that the chef at Ohanna is WONDERFUL and really spoils those guests with food allergies and other special needs. Just note it on the reservation that there is someone with allergies and a vegetarian. From what I understand he "whips up" some very special and wonderful dishes just for them!!!!!
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who has been to O'Hanas Lately?

Two years ago, my DD6 was eating gluten free and the chef made up a special entree and dessert for her. We learned that Disney is very accomodating with these requests. At the buffets the chefs would walk around and point out what she could eat and not eat. Also, at Primetime, they made gluten free mac and cheese. Granted, it was microwaveable, but it is probably the most logical way to make sure it was gluten free. Just make sure to mention ahead of time and you will be taken care of.
    I was really impressed by this, especially at O'hanas.

P.S. If you get a chance and are able to, try eating during the fireworks. It is awesome.
    Ali and Tyler's Dad
    Pop Century 6/14
    Pop Century 5/12
    Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate Rooms) 1/1/11 Free DDP
    Pop Century 10/09 Free DDP
    Pop Century 9/08 Free DDP
    All-Star Sports 9/06 Free DDP
    Pop Century 9/05
    All-Star Movies 1/02
    Coronado Springs 8/99
    Off-Site 8/98

Post Thanks / Like

Just ate there for the first time about 4 weeks ago, and we really liked it. And, yes they had shrimp on skewers.....They also have a nice salad, and lo-mein type noodles for non-meat eaters.....I am now a huge fan of this place, so much so that I added it to our ADR list for our upcoming family trip.
    FFRDA
    1990 + 1992 Grosvenor
    1993 Gr. Floridian
    1995 Off Prop.
    1997 Contemporary
    1998 ASMu
    2000 Disney Institute
    2001 ASMov
    2002 P.O.F.Q.
    2003 Doubletree LBV
    2004 P.O.R.
    2007 (March)Residence Inn
    2007 (DEC) All Star VAC Home
    2008 Residence Inn
    2010 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WishingStar2006 View Post
    From reading a post form someone else a little while ago...I think it was a trip report...the writer said that the chef at Ohanna is WONDERFUL and really spoils those guests with food allergies and other special needs. Just note it on the reservation that there is someone with allergies and a vegetarian. From what I understand he "whips up" some very special and wonderful dishes just for them!!!!!
    I think that was my review!!! My dd is allergic to eggs and must stay away from peanuts as long as she can to avoid developing an allergy to that. (doctor also suggested staying away from shellfish but, she loves it too much with no reaction, so we give it to her.)

In your ressie you should make a note about special dietary needs of your group. As soon as we got there, the chef came out to talk about what our needs were. He also said that he could make special dishes if needed or if my dd couldn't find anything she liked.

Here is a link to thread where I posted my review.... http://intercot.com/discussion/showt...=ohana+allergy
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

I actually RECOMMEND 'Ohana to vegetarians/vegans/people with allergies. One reason and one reason alone, Chef TJ. I'm not sure what his current schedule is but he is a GENIUS when creating things for those of us that don't eat the "normal fare."

I'm pescetarian (eat only seafood, no chicken, beef, or pork) and Chef TJ INSISTS on coming out and speaking with those people in the party that have special requests. I wasn't going to say anything this last time because I had heard that he (Chef TJ) had left 'Ohana. WRONG! The waitstaff ran back and got him and when he came out I about wet my pants from excitement. He created a vegetarian entree (actually technically vegan) and it was HUGE. Seriously, the size of my head. And it was wicked good.

Try and contact 'Ohana directly and find out what his current schedule is. He has two days off a week I do believe.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advance Dining Note

When making your reservations in advance, let them know that you'll be having a vegetarian in your party. Disney is very good about making tasty alterations to its menu for people with special needs. I think some chefs take it as a nice change of pace...a challenge. Remind them at the desk when you check in for your reservation time. They want to please you...and take your money. They serve a giant alcoholic drink in a hollowed-out pineapple which is vegetarian. Just sayin'.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Poetieclipse. I'm rapidly heading down the road to pescetarian myself, and have never had to make any special accomodations for 'Ohana as I'm perfectly happy with a skewer of shrimp.

That said, I've read very enthusiastic reviews of Chef T.J.'s amazing creations for vegetarians and vegans. But that only happens if you are there one of his nights. You also need to have patience as he is responsible for covering the needs of all those with allergies and special needs.

Good luck! I think you've made a great choice with 'Ohana. It's made its way back onto our list of "places to go every trip."
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

i love this resturant. My favorite...But...
    if they don't like a buffett because they are afraid they will eat too much, then this isn't the place for them. While it isn't a typical buffett, it could be considered one. I think of it as a buffett that comes to you as opposed to you going to it.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

I would go and let them know your dietary needs. I have seen it in action at the WDW restaurants and was AMAZED at how they treated people and catered to their needs. I've seen them pull out a completely different vegan menu on request.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your suggestions! We have been to O'hanas many times and LOVED IT! I will note on the reservation that my sister is a vegetarian and I am sure she will be fine. She eats shrimp so she can always pig out on that!
    1992 DisneyWorld (Contemporary)
    1994 Disneyland

1996 DisneyWorld (CBR)
    2004 DisneyWorld (WL)
    2006 December DisneyWorld (WL)
    2008 November DisneyWorld (WL)
    2010 October-November DisneyWorld(WL)
    2011 November Disneyland Resort- Grand Californian

2015 WL Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I was there last week!
    PIneapple bread
    Salad with lime vinagrette dressing.
    Sticky wings and potstickers.
    Ramen type noodles
    Mixed veggies
    Tiger shrimp (you must peel it)
    Steak
    Pork
    Turkey
    3 dipping sauces
    Peanut, Ginger and a Mustard
    Banana bread pudding with vanilla ice cream
    Everything I listed was amazing!
    Banana
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

O'Hanas.... vegetarian????

Meat...Meat...Meat...

I am still full and I have been home for 2 weeks!
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

I went as a vegetarian to Ohana's 3x and we loved it every time. The last time we went it was a little eh on the service but that trip I blame a lot of that on the free dining that was going on. It seemed like castmembers were fed up with it a bit. The food there is fantastic and there is plenty to stuff yourself on, regardless of whether or not you are a meatatarian or a vegetarian. The kids always have something to do and even the adults can participate.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD