Quantcast How do you beat the heat?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you beat the heat?

What are a few of the tricks that you use to beat the heat when you spending time in the parks most of the day? I've visited in June the past few years and am looking for more efficent ways to stay warm.

K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We were in the World last September during unseasonably hot weather. It was low 90s every day, and we were wilting!
    Some days we took a break and went back to the resort for a nap in the AC and/or a shower. That really helped.

On the last two days we had F&WF reservations for several of the wine seminars and were not going to be able to go back to the resort. It was then I'd remembered that I'd packed my "neck chiller". OMG! That was the best! It's a scarf-like piece of fabric that, when immersed in water, absorbs the water and holds it. When you tie it around your neck it keeps you very cool. It was just amazing! Really kept me cool through the hottest part of the day.

Spending some time inside helps too! Even walking through a building with AC is a good way to cool down a bit.
    Donna

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! We have been going in either August or June and have found the following helpful: Walmart sells little hand held fans that are like $3.00 tops-the blade are foam so tend to wear out by the end of the trip but that's ok. Some versions also have water in the handle. I know Disney sells a larger version but that one, in my opinion, is too bulky to cart around the parks. The ones we have purchased in the past from Walmart often have caribeaner clips to be hooked on a bag or belt loop. Another thing we do is to use the gift shops as cooling areas. We often walk down a sidewalk by going thru the insides of stores, not outside. The Florida summer heat is BRUTAL! We also tend to hit the parks in the am's and later afternoons, after the mid-day sun has passed. I am not a very "heat tolerant" person so get rather "irritable" when hot, sweaty and stuck in crowds of people. Water flavoring packets are also good for keeping you drinking plenty of water to keep hydrated and of course, back in the room, a cold shower, a/c turned on high and lots of powder is also refreshing. Enjoy!
    CB 2007
    BWI 2008
    YC 2009
    BWI Innkeepers Club 2010
    BC Christmas 2011
    BWI Christmas 2012
    ??? June 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Like the PP said. The fans with the water are great. As well as ducking into a store. We also went back to the room in the hottest part of the day for a shower and rest. I also carry a small baby powder with me to dry off and cool down a bit. (Queenmom9497, you must be my long lost twin. You sound just like me...lol)

I will have to try the cooling scarf thing. Where do you get them?
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a problem for me, because I love the heat! All that I do is dress cool, and stay hydrated.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    (Queenmom9497, you must be my long lost twin. You sound just like me...lol)
    We must be long lost triplets, because I am the same way.
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

șoș "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmallan View Post
    It was then I'd remembered that I'd packed my "neck chiller". OMG! That was the best! It's a scarf-like piece of fabric that, when immersed in water, absorbs the water and holds it. When you tie it around your neck it keeps you very cool. It was just amazing! Really kept me cool through the hottest part of the day.
    Which brand do you use,and where can your purchase them at?
    Next Trip-Jan 2012 POFQ! & 2nd DCL! Sailing To The Caribbean!

Previous Trips
    12/'10 CBR & 1st DCL
    12/'09 CBR
    12/'08 *1st On Property*- POFQ
    12/'07 *1st Christmas Trip*
    04/'06 1st trip back
    11/'91* 6 yrs old, My 1st Trip To WDW*

șoș "Let Us Not Forget,It All Started With A Mouse" șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Number one trick is to stay hydrated with WATER.

I've gone through a 20oz bottle before I leave the room in the morning and I'm well into the second bottle before i een get through the turnstyles.

Same drill after lunch, I grab another couple bottles from the room and the first is gone before I get to the park.

I probably go through at least 6 bottles of water a day. Also, wearing light clothing that wicks moisture away from you, wearing sandals instead of socks and sneakers, and smartuse of inside venues and planning your lunches will do wonders.

This is coming from someone who goes Julyish every year...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above posts, though I don't have a neck cooler. Don't laugh, but when I get miserably hot, I stick an ice cube in my bra. I am soaking wet anyway and nobody notices. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I have Lupus, so I have to use clothing & hats with sun protection built in. These are usually hotter fabrics than cotton & linen - tight woven polyester - ugh. There are built in air vents in the active versions of this clothing, but these only work if you keep moving (they are designed so that the act of walking or running keeps air flowing inside to keep you cool). All that said, I'm pretty much completely covered up when out in the sun and well slathered with sun screen too (you should see my bathing suit -it looks like pajamas - LOL, but it's necessary to keep me relatively healthy and flare up free).

Like previous posters have said, liberal water drinking and liberal use of air-conditioned venues & shops work best for me. I have used the neck gel thingy and it works great! I avoid the mid-day sun as much as possible & can shed my sun protective gear at twilight - yeah! Unfortunately my condition also means that it's best for me to avoid July & August in the Florida sun, so when others leaves the park hot and bothered I'm entering feeling fresh & ready to go. One other thing helps, the misting areas in the parks and shade, but I avoid Animal Kingdom because that park is stifflingly hot in the heat of summer to me.
    Journey into your...Legoź Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember that dark color clothing absorbs light/heat and light colored clothing reflect light/heat. Wear light reflective clothing that breaths like cotton.

Also, if you keep your head cool it helps to regulate the rest of the body. So dumping water on your head or wearing a hat can help keep the rest of you cool.

Keep hydrated. You would think this is overstated but how often do you hear someone who has to be taken to hospital because of heat exhaustion?

DD and I love to eat ice! So getting some ice from a CS is fun! Remember that Cola and caffeine drinks actually dehydrate you so we avoid drinking a lot of these during extremely hot times.

Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

stay hydrated, skip Indiana Jones and Lights Motors Action (i feel the heat big time on those 2 attractions), and visit most of the indoor attractions regardless if they are boring or corny
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Go early, early, early! We are usually done @ our 1st park by midday (ish) and are back @ the resort chillin by the pool (or napping) during the hottest part of the day. Then we head out in the late afternoon to our 2nd park pick and finish out our evening there. Oh, and water rides are great coolers too!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Dole Whip Floats!!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

my dw is very heat sensitive.we dont go when its hot but it is fl. so you never know. i agree drink plenty of WATER. walk in the shade as much as possible .do an outside ride then an inside ride.we walk thru some of the buildings to get around also .a couple of minutes inside can work wonders.cotton clothing is real helpful. it breathes.

Post Thanks / Like

I avoid going during the summer.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

Stay hydrated

I also go back to the hotel to take a nap and/or swim the pool in the middle of the day. Recharges the batteries and out we go again
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

When toting around water bottles, think about a bottle lanyard. It keeps your hands free. Some of the popcorn stands sell them and make a great souvenir. Also think about stocking up beforehand on those little single serve drink crystals. That way you can have something besides plain water to drink.
    ~~Have a Disney Day~~
    șoș WDW 9-83, 9-84, 9-88, 9-93, 5-94, 5-95, 5-96, 9-99, 9-07
    șoș TDL 6-83, 9-91
    șoș DLR many, many

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finaldynasty View Post
    What are a few of the tricks that you use to beat the heat when you spending time in the parks most of the day? I've visited in June the past few years and am looking for more efficent ways to stay warm.

One of the many great things about being physically fit is the Florida summer heat is not a issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finaldynasty View Post

Wear black clothing, bring a hoodie for those air-conditioned movie theaters, drink coffee/hot cocoa... JUST KIDDING!

Seriously, all the tips given seem pretty good. I would reiterate the constant hydration. Even if you don't think you need water, just keep drinking. Your head will thank you later when it isn't hurting!!! We became big fans of the mid-day break on our last trip when it was around 100 every day. Get up early, get a lot done in the morning, and take a break.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: