Quantcast We're Staying At The Poly!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default We're Staying At The Poly!

Last week I won a trip through Orbitz for a 7 night stay at WDW for four. Tickets, accomodations, $250.00 gift card, etc.

The Orbitz rep just e-mailed me and told me that we're going to be staying at the Polynesian Resort! My DREAM resort! I'm so excited I could burst.

Now, all you Poly experts need to help me out. What are your best tips for staying at the Poly?! Any things I shouldn't miss?

My husband and I are taking our moms. This is my mother-in-laws first trip to WDW.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Congrats to you! How lucky to be the winner
    and staying at the Poly. WOW! I have never
    stayed there so I am not any help but just
    wanted to say Congrats to you. I know some
    one will come along with your answers.
    BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
    MAY!

Post Thanks / Like

I am so happy for you . It is very encouraging to see someone actually win something like this. To get to hear all about it is so awesome.
    You and your family are going to have one amazing and memorable trip. Can't wait to hear all about it. I hope you continue to update us all on the process.
    Congrats Congrats Congrats

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you have the pressed pot coffee at Kona Cafe.We love the Tonga Toast at Capt.Cooks,it's half the price than at the Kona.I think that the Poly has the best store for Disney stuff.We love sitting on the beach watching the water parade and fireworks every night.So glad to hear that you won,and at the Poly no less!
    Poly10/75
    FWCabins3/93Poly11/01
    CBR4/05PORand BC2/06Pop11/06
    MarriottGrandeVista5/07
    CBR9/07
    Pop1/08
    POFQ5/08
    CS 9/08
    POFQ 5/09
    CBR9/09
    HRH11/09
    POFQ/POLY5/10
    WL12/10
    Allstar Music1/11
    POFQ 5/11
    OKW 3/31/12
    SSR 9/13
    CBR 9/14
    POR9/16
    CB Univ

Avatar in remembrance of my Dear Old Dad "Big Al"

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!

As for the Poly, unless you are staying in club-level or the suites, then IMHO the best building is Tokelau. It is centrally located from the beach, pool, GCH and TTC. Plus, some garden-view rooms have side lagoon views. We could see the CR and SM from our balcony, as well as seeing and hearing the riverboat from the TTC to the MK. The rooms in Tokelau are the largest standard-size rooms on property, so you can really spread out.

If you've never stayed at a Deluxe before, then be aware that there is no food court, just a quick-service restaurant. But it's quite nice and I think that you can still get sushi there. Of course, there is 'Ohana and the Kona Cafe. You can't miss with breakfast at the Poly.

The grounds are lovely and it's great to sit at the beach to watch the EWP (at 9 p.m.) or Wishes at night. They have swing benches and hammocks if you don't want to sit on the beach. You can also watch them from the dock or the side of the pool closest to the beach.

One of the best features is its convenience to both monorails. You get the MK monorail from the GCH at the Poly and you get the EPCOT monorail from the TTC just next door. You can also take the boat to/from the MK, which is a nice alternative.

The Lobby in the GCH is nice. Even thinking about it (and the plants and waterfall) relaxes me. Plus, there is the Wyland galleries, which has nautical-themed artwork and jewelry.

Since there are four of you, at the Poly you get three beds to choose from, which are the two queen beds, plus the daybed.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to you! Poly is one of the best!
    1988-2012
    Fort Wilderness
    Old Key West
    Boardwalk Inn
    Polynesian
    Bay Lake Tower
    Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

One word of warning. You aren't going to want to stay anywhere else after. I had long wanted to stay at the Poly, but had been putting it off because I also wanted to try to stay at all the WDW resorts one day. We were saving the Poly for last because it was our "dream resort". Well in Nov. I booked a 3 night stay at the Poly after our week stay at BCV as a surprise for my DH and children. My DH was leaving for Iraq shortly after our trip and I wanted something special for him. Now I just can't imagine staying anywhere else. Its just a very special place to be at, there's no other way to describe it. You are going to love it. Congrats!!!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, lucky you. The Polynesian is our favorite.
    I don't know when you are going, but remember you can start getting your ADR's at the 180 day mark. This can all be done online. Ohana can be hard to get so start early. We also love eating at Kona Cafe.
    In addition to what has already been listed one of our favorites is to go over to the marina and rent one of the boats and tour Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. We love the pontoon boats with their ease of getting on and off.Great views of the Contemporary, Bay Lake Towers, Wilderness Lodge and the Grand Floridian and entrance to the MK.
    Your gonna git spoiled there.
    Enjoy
    1990-2000=20+
    2001 - Con
    2002 - Poly
    2003 - Con
    2004 - Poly
    2004 - Poly
    2005 - Poly
    2006 - Poly CL
    2007 - Poly CL
    2008 - Bdwlk Villas
    2008 - GF, Club Level
    2009 - Poly, CL
    2010 - Sept. BCV
    2011 - May BCV
    2011 - Nov. Poly
    2012 - May Beach Club Villas
    2012 - Sept Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

So many great aspects to the POLY:
    'Ohanas and Kona's Cafe are great places to dine. If you have the time, watch WISHES! from the Poly beach, it's a very nice way to end an evening with your spouse, especially with an adult beverage. We also love being able to make a short walk to the TTC and the GCH for a Monorail ride to Epcot and MK.
    We love the pathways at night lit by the Tikki torches with the Poly music playing in the background.
    Like other posters have said, you may never want to stay at any other resort!
    Have a fantastic time ! And CONRATULATIONS!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

First off, a disclaimer, DW and I stayed at the Poly in the concierge honeymoon suite and absolutely loved it!

OK, the only two negative things I can say about the Poly, one is funny, one disappointing (to me, anyway...). When we stayed we pretty much spent the whole weekend at the resort, we went to MK for a couple of hours, so we were at the pool and beach a lot. The music loop is surprisingly short! Not only did we know all the songs by the second day, we knew what was coming next! The disappointing thing to me was that apparently, we stayed in the only king bed room in the entire resort! I'm shocked by that. I mean, I know it's mostly families with kids at WDW, but what better place for a romantic stay at WDW than the Poly.

That said, congrats and you will love it!

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

You MUST have a Lapu Lapu!!! MMMMM

It's a fantastic resort and everyone has given some great tips. If you have time I would rent one of the little boats and explore the MK resort area by boat. Very cool. Enjoy!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no tips, but I am soooo thrilled for you! So cool they are setting you up in the Poly!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    The music loop is surprisingly short! Not only did we know all the songs by the second day, we knew what was coming next!

I noticed that same thing the last time we were there! One of the few disappointments about the place...
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Just a couple of tid-bits I thought of that has not been mentioned.
    If you are a chocolate lover try a Kilauea Torte at Kona Cafe. It is a chocolate cake volcano filled with liquid chocolate.
    You might want to check out the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show held at the Poly.
    1990-2000=20+
    2001 - Con
    2002 - Poly
    2003 - Con
    2004 - Poly
    2004 - Poly
    2005 - Poly
    2006 - Poly CL
    2007 - Poly CL
    2008 - Bdwlk Villas
    2008 - GF, Club Level
    2009 - Poly, CL
    2010 - Sept. BCV
    2011 - May BCV
    2011 - Nov. Poly
    2012 - May Beach Club Villas
    2012 - Sept Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

No tips... but I had to chime in and say congratulations on winning a stay at the Poly!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PetefromRI View Post
    Make sure you have the pressed pot coffee at Kona Cafe.We love the Tonga Toast at Capt.Cooks,it's half the price than at the Kona.I think that the Poly has the best store for Disney stuff.We love sitting on the beach watching the water parade and fireworks every night.So glad to hear that you won,and at the Poly no less!

ON EVERYTHING!!!!! We do everything mentioned above and we've never stayed there!!! One thing I want to add i that if you like sushi, the coffee stand right next to Kona Cafe turns into a sushi bar. We will be having sushi there in October. We plan on grabbing some sushi and eating by the pool or on the beach while watching the Water Parade and Wishes.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

You all have been great! I love all of the tips! Read these all to my hubby and he's getting PUMPED!

Thank you guys. I promise i'll keep you updated
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! We have enjoyed our stay at Tokelau at the Poly. The pool is a dream. The beach to watch the fireworks is beautiful. And yes, a Lapu Lapu is a must. I'm so jealous. Have a great time.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Stacey, did you do your homework & google Tikiman's site? I go on there regularly to get my Poly fix.
    ~~~~~~Stephanie~~~~~~

December 3-7, 2010 Poly LVC
    April 13-18, 2009 Poly LVC
    Feb 8-11, 2008 Poly LVC
    March 07 - Poly LVC
    December 06 - Poly LVC
    October 05 - CR
    June 04 - Grosvenors
    March 02 - Off Site
    November 00 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Like others before me, I have not stayed at the Poly. But I am sooo excited for you and your family! It sounds like it will be a great trip! I've walked the grounds and it's beautiful. I also look forward to hearing about your trip!!
    Dreaming of Disney World every day, until I can get back there again!
    Disneyland at least a dozen times growing up!
    July 1997- Wilderness Lodge (HS Graduation)
    December 2009 & 2010- POP Century (7th & 8th Wedding Anniversaries)
    November 2011, April 2012, October 2012, January 2013 Disneyland

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: