Quantcast Badlands National Park

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Badlands National Park

We're tossing around a variety of vacation destinations and one of them is Badlands National Park. We have 2 girls 5 & 9. Can anyone tell me if this is a good family destination? I would love to hear about others' experiences there, what you loved and what you didn't.

Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to hear what others say too! We are going there this summer with our DD's ages 8 & 10!!

Post Thanks / Like

We did two days in BNP on our way to Yellowstone in 2008. It's a great park. Lots to do close by including Wall Drug. Mt. Rushmore is close by as well.

The only lodging in the park are some fairly quaint cabins. Perfect for a family of 4-6. Another great thing about the badlands is they let you hike everywhere. You don't have to stay on paths. Pretty much go whereever you like. Kids love that.

We saw plenty of deer and praire dogs. Lots of rabbits around the cabins too. We also saw bighorn sheep. We didn't drive over to the section that has bison but people saw those as well. I highly recommended Badlands!

Have a great trip.
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

The Badlands would be more of a side trip on a Black Hills area vacation. It is a drive through park with some short walks. The Black Hills area also includes Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Custer State Park, Crazy Horse Memorial, the Needles Highway and more.
    The kids may find the Badlands boring.

Which direction would you be coming from?
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I had a great trip to SD in '08. We left the kids at home. I don't know your kids but mine would have hated it. There is not much to "do" there. Absolutely beautiful scenery and breathtaking vistas. We took our miata and just cruised around all week. If your girls are int hiking and nature it would be great -- but otherwise....... The town of Wall is nearby and Wall Drug is pretty fun. We found a great cabin near Hill City which is near Mt Rushmore -- Google "Newton Fork Ranch" -- it was fantastic.

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Badlands had a nighttime ranger program that was interesting - it was a star observation walk, but lights were discouraged (to get you used to seeing in the dark). There also is a National Historic Site on the edge of the park that offers small guided tours of a decommissioned missile control facility and shows you the silo. You really have to book ahead for that one. And Wall Drug is a must with kids.

If you decide to get over to the Mt. Rushmore area (only a few hours' drive from Badlands), try to stop at Custer State Park as well. They have a good-sized bison herd that we've seen every time we go through there, usually right by the road. Wind Cave and Jewel Cave National Parks also are nearby.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!

We would be coming from Michigan. Our girls love nature, animals, being outdoors. They haven't done much hiking though. DD9 is a total trooper in WDW and I bet she'd be fine. DD5 wants to be carried after two steps. I worry about how well they'll tolerate the hiking and the heat and if they'll enjoy the sights enough to overcome those. How hot does it get there in the summer?

If we stayed at the park, would it be a good home base for all of the attractions nearby, like Mt. Rushmore, Wall Drugs, etc.? Or is there a better, more centrally located spot?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    If we stayed at the park, would it be a good home base for all of the attractions nearby, like Mt. Rushmore, Wall Drugs, etc.? Or is there a better, more centrally located spot?
    Is Cedar Pass Lodge where you want to stay? I just found out it existed and don't know exactly where it is. You can do Wall Drug from there, but Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills are too far. Best bet for that area would be in or Custer.
    On the way try to see Sioux Falls Park in Sioux Falls and stop at the Missouir River overlook at Chamberlain.
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

We were thinking of staying right in the park, can't remember what it's called. But it sounds like something more centrally located to all the attractions would be better.

And thanks everyone for the tips for extra sights!

Right now, it looks like this and DC are the two we need to decide on for this year's trip.

Post Thanks / Like

We were going to do Mt Rushmore, the Badlands and Deadwood a couple of years ago. It was a really hard trip for me to plan since I had never been there before and didn't know anymore who had (since then my cousin has moved out there) to give me advice. My travel agent couldn't help me either! Finding a hotel (no chains out in that area) worried me and by the time I had that figured out the plane ride became a problem. I won't fly in small planes. We scrapped the trip and ended up at the Grand Canyon instead. I would still like to go there someday but I'm thinking about a road trip instead.

Please let us know about your trip when you're back because I'm really interested.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! If we go there this year, I'll definitely do a trip report. We'd be doing a road trip there.

Post Thanks / Like

Best bet would be maybe one night in Badlands (in the park or in Wall) and the rest in the Black Hills area.

Another couple ideas for stops - in Hot Springs, SD (also in the Black Hills area), there is a mammoth bone dig site and a wild horse sanctuary.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Thanks everyone!

We would be coming from Michigan. Our girls love nature, animals, being outdoors. They haven't done much hiking though. DD9 is a total trooper in WDW and I bet she'd be fine. DD5 wants to be carried after two steps. I worry about how well they'll tolerate the hiking and the heat and if they'll enjoy the sights enough to overcome those. How hot does it get there in the summer?

I do not do well in the heat at all -- That being said we visited the badlands in July -- I had now problem at all -- very low humidity. I would recommend a good hat though -- the sun can be fairly tough. On our last day the wind really picked up.

We did spend one night in the cabins in the park-- they were quite rustic but clean.

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, We go through there frequently on the way to the Black Hills or Farther west. We did stay in the park once. It is interesting, but I do not need to do that again. I enjoy it as a partial day. We drive through and do the shorter hikes. It is very hot and dry in the summer. It is a good small park for training the kids for the western national parks in general. You hike, picnic, look at scenery and look for animals. It looks different than home and that is my thrill.

Post Thanks / Like

We camped in the Badlands on a family vacation when my brother and I were young teens (touring of of the Black Hills). We loved it. We hiked 5 minutes from our campsite and it was if we had traveled to another planet. No sign of human civilization as far as we could see (our campsite was just over the hill). The landscapes and views are really different from just about everywhere else in the us. Beautifully bizarre and desolate.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the input everyone! It's great to know that others have done well with the heat and the other attractions that are close.

The horse sanctuary would be great to see!

I'm going to get some travel books from the library for the Badlands and the Black Hills area. I'm also getting one for DC, since that looks like our other big contender.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely do the nighttime ranger program!!! We went there when I was a (very hard to impress) teenager and that is one thing that still sticks out in my mind!! The sky was like a dark, dark velvet and the stars were so bright they looked like diamonds!!!
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Badlands National Park

We are actually going here this summer on our way to Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone in July, we actually extended our stay as there is so much to see/do in that area that we never seem to find the time to do since we generally hit this on our way home. This year we are starting off here. We are actually going to stay one night in Wall, SD and 3 nights Rapid City, SD and will go through The Badlands on our way since we are traveling from KC. We are planning to do Badlands, Wall, Custer State Park, Crazy Horse, Black Hills Wild Mustang Sanctuary (I am soo excited about this been wanting to do it for about 5 years now), Mt. Rushmore, and some scenic driving in the area.
    There are a lot of fun things to do in the Rapid City area so you might want to get a SD Travel Guide.
    Have Fun!

Kimber
    WDWCP Fall 1990
    1991 Friends Apt
    1993 Sister at Vista Way
    1994-1998 CBR
    2001/2002 ASS; ASMo;Timeshare
    2003 - ASMo
    2005/2006 - Timeshare
    2007 - ASMu
    2009 -- Pop!; POR
    2010 -- Hong Kong Disneyland Hollywood Hotel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danicafan View Post
    We are actually going here this summer on our way to Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone in July, we actually extended our stay as there is so much to see/do in that area that we never seem to find the time to do since we generally hit this on our way home. This year we are starting off here. We are actually going to stay one night in Wall, SD and 3 nights Rapid City, SD and will go through The Badlands on our way since we are traveling from KC. We are planning to do Badlands, Wall, Custer State Park, Crazy Horse, Black Hills Wild Mustang Sanctuary (I am soo excited about this been wanting to do it for about 5 years now), Mt. Rushmore, and some scenic driving in the area.
    There are a lot of fun things to do in the Rapid City area so you might want to get a SD Travel Guide.
    Have Fun!
    Be sure and post a trip report. That will be our next big trip....probably next year. We had it all planned out for last summer with reservations made and everything. We had some illness and had to cancel but I can see that it is a good thing we DID have to cancel because we would have missed out on alot I think.
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Post Thanks / Like

If you travel through Sioux Falls, SD be sure to seek out Falls Park. The falls are the namesake of the town and the park is a hidden gem. You can searh for Falls Park to see some photos.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: