Quantcast May Have To Cancel Trip !!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default May Have To Cancel Trip !!

In southeast pa. we have been getting hammered with noreaster's it seems like every two weeks. anyway during a winter sno storm, while recieving what seemed like hurricane winds , our roof started leaking into our dining room.found shingles blown up & frozen in the up position with ice underneath.this weekend we had such heavy winds that it tore at least twenty shingles off & now we have a leak in the living room .i have a roofer coming out today.i know this will cost an arm , leg & most likely an ear or two.my wife is not working . we did not take a disney vacation last year , due to no labor contract.after almost 1 year without a contract we finally got one good until mid 2011. we are now starting to seriously stress about our monies.i think we will have to cancel & nobody is happy about that.my twin teen girls want to know if we really need a new roof. i don't think my roof can survive any more major wind storms.anyway , i am just venting. thanks for listening.
    1994 french quarter-port orleans
    2002 all star movies
    2003 all star movies
    2004 wilderness lodge
    2005 french quarter/disney wonder
    2007 polynesian ( cancelled )
    2008 wilderness lodge
    2010 polynesian
    2012 disney dream

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the new roof club.
    We started seeing shingles all over our yard this winter, and then the leak, or should I say stream, into the basement began.
    $6,000 later, we have a brand new roof. However, I'm in the Northeast, and our roof was certainly tested this weekend. Drip, drip, we have a very small leak in the basement, and the roofer is coming back out today!!! GRRRR!
    How about going on the trip, but making some changes?? Stay on the cheap (Pop, All Stars)..eat counter service, stay 5 days instead of a week?? I'd try to make it happen if you could. Your two teen girls ( I have them too) won't be able to take these family trips in years to come perhaps, I'd rethink things, make changes where I could, and make it happen.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

A new roof is certainly an important expense and not one that can be put off. Very disappointing for your family. That's hard to bear. Sorry to hear it. I'll be wishing some good luck your way.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Have you contacted your Homeowner's insurance to see if your roof is covered? If it was weather related, you should be able to file a claim...not sure what your deductible is, but it might help offset at least some the cost. You might want to have an adjuster come out and take a look...the worst they can say is no.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Living in a state that is known for high winds I can attest for the fact that the damage may be covered by your homeowners insurance. My DH is a roofing contractor and deals with this all the time. After you contact your insurer also make sure you have more than one roofing contractor look at it. Be very careful with who you use and always read the entire contract. You would not believe the number of people who go with the lowest bid only to be charged for extras at the end of the job. Ask lots of questions and make sure everything is included in the bid. Just a little advice I hate to see people taken advantage of.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, some great advise here! I hope you can work it out, especially with the HOI so that you can take your trip and have a new roof too.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain. After starting the planning on our upcoming trip about 15 months ago, we have watched almost $13,000 go out the door these past 14 months (most of our liquid savings, by the way) due to everything under the sun needing to be replaced (upstairs windows, new a/c, car repairs, plumbing issues and just last week - a leaky roof). We are leaving in 6 weeks and although we now are going to be about $2000 short for our trip, we are so close to leaving we are going to go ahead and go. We have decided that we will not be taking any large vacations after this one for at least 2 years - instead going on weekend trips with our pop up camper until we can rebuild our savings account and feel more comfortable. We will be able to pay off the trip by July and we both have steady jobs (fingers crossed and knock on wood!!) so we are somewhat comfortable with the decision.

I noticed on your post that you have this trip and an Alaskan Cruise scheduled for 2011. Can you determine which of the 2 trips you want more and maybe decide which one wins out? I know it's a difficult thing to be faced with!! I will be sending ++++++ thoughts your way that you can get it figured out soon. I agree with the other posters though to find out if your homeowner's insurance will pay for the repairs though. If so - then maybe you won't need to worry about making the decision. I feel for you guys in the NOrtheastern area! You are right that it seems as if every couple of weeks you are getting hammered. You're due for a break! Let us know what you decide. No one else will feel your pain more than your fellow Intercot friends!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry-- ice storm in the South was our major $ problems last year. Hope that it is in your budget to make the trip but, if not, perhaps you can let your girls help you plan a road trip closer to home.
    Give them a budget and see what they come up with-- they might surprise you with their creativity and it would be a great life lesson.
    I will also tell you that we've made several off-property trips to WDW. Of course our preference is to stay on site but on our "off years" we've saved a lot of $ by finding alternate accommodations and still had a fantastic time.
    Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of your roofing troubles! Hope everything works out okay for you!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Call your insurance co. now! Also, go on recommendations for roofers if you can. We had our roof replaced last year, you will just be out the deductible. Most insurance cos are used to this type of work, too, so it's a fairly seamless process.

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious; did you call your insurance company yet? I hope it's covered and you can still go on your trip. Let us know what happens.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: