Quantcast Closing early?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Closing early?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Closing early?

There's a lady at work who just got home from WDW. She took her family last week (January 18-22) and she is telling everyone at work that she's really disappointed in her trip. She claims that there was almost no one there, and since the crowd was so low, they closed parks early and cancelled the fireworks on several days that they were there.

I told her that can't be true, but she swears it happened. I explained that the park hours change from month-to-month and even week-to-week depending on the expected crowds and other factors, but they would never close the park early on a day's notice. I can't come up with an explanation as to why she thinks they cancelled the fireworks.

Does anyone know what she's talking about?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Parks DO regularly close early during this time of year. But it is scheduled that way - no surprises. This is the time of year when we often go.

AK is open only until 5.
    MK and DHS - 7 or 8 (usually 7)
    Epcot is 9.

Now with those shortened scheduled hours, I do not see how the parks can close any earlier. Cast members would have to usher everyone out if they changed it the day of. What a mess that would be.

I don't know about the fireworks, though.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

It's all in the schedule...the bonus is that the crowds are lower and you can do so much more in the time they are open.

I guess this is one of the beautiful things about Intercot...none of these things comes as a surprise! Our 1st January trip this year was way different than our August trips...not bad...just different....we loved it and plan to go back next January
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We were there the 13th-17th and things closed earlier than they do in Sept but it was all scheduled that way. Some hours changed giving us more hours in the park but that was about a week before we went that they did this. The only thing different we noticed was that Tinkerbell didn't fly off the castle during Wishes which was disappointing. The weather was really nice that night too. So since it was our first "winter" trip, not really sure if that is a regular thing or if it had something to do with the refurb and big crane behind the castle. It in no way ruined our trip but felt bad for the first timers travelling with us.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

as everyone has said, the hours are scheduled by week, so there are no last minute changes in park closures
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

We had some pretty bad rain storms last week. Maybe they caused the fireworks to be cancelled?
    I know you
    I walked with you once upon a dream.
    We've Stayed at GF, AKL, BW, BC, CR, FW Cabins, CS, CBR, AS Music, POP, POFQ, OKW,SSR
    Last Trip: SSR April 2015
    Next Trip: Yacht Club Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe that's it -- the rain. I don't know why she thinks they cancelled the fireworks because of the crowd! Maybe she'd done a little too much wine tasting on her trip around World Showcase!

Post Thanks / Like

whenever disney makes a change in the schedule within a few weeks of our trips it has ALWAYS been to increase park hours or to add another parade or show. They have never shortened hours or taken away anything at the last minute in my experience.
    Contemp '78
    Offsite '84 & '88
    GF 11/02
    Beach Club 11/04
    GF 7/05
    GC DL 7/1-7/4/07
    BWV 11/3-11/07
    SSR 5/15-20/09
    BLT 11/6-14/10
    BLT 5/9-13/11
    BLT 6/23-7/1/12
    BLT 8/17-25/13
    BLT 8/23-31/14
    BLT 6/20-28/15
    GC DL 6/21-25/16
    BLT 8/26-9/3/17
    BLT 8/25-9/2/18
    BLT 8/24-9/1/19
    GF 8/28-9/5/21

Post Thanks / Like

We were there over that stretch and just returned home today. The hours were what we expected and I don't recall them canceling any fireworks. However, there was lightning in the area one of the nights that Fantasmic! was supposed to happen. We were gonna head over to catch it, but decided against due to the weather, so I'm not sure if they ended up having it or not. Maybe that's what she's talking about?

Disney Trips: '87, '91, '94, '97, '00, '03, '05, '07, '08, '10 (x3)

NEXT TRIP: Nov. 29-Dec. 7, 2013; Art of Disney Animation/Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

The only parks that have been closing early (or not opening at all) are the water parks, during the unusually cold weather we had earlier this month.
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Did your co-worker look online at the park hours prior to her trip? It seems odd that Disney would all of a sudden just change their hours w/o notice. Every time we've gone, we've looked on line at their park hours, which days had extra magical hours etc and those held true when we were there. Maybe she went on an assumption of what the hours were or heard from someone else what the hours were that weren't typical for January?
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

No, I'm sure she didn't plan ahead. I'm guessing she went under the assumption that the hours were all the same all year in every park. That's what it sounds like to me, anyway. I straightened her out on that point so that she and others at work will know better than to assume that next time!

As for the fireworks, I'll bet she was thinking the canceled Fantasmic because of crowds, but I'll bet it was because of the weather. I know that can happen.

I just don't want anyone spreading any bad rumors about the Happiest Place on Earth!

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pepefan View Post
    As for the fireworks, I'll bet she was thinking the canceled Fantasmic because of crowds, but I'll bet it was because of the weather. I know that can happen.
    Uh....you did make her aware that Fantasmic! does not have showings every night anymore? It's been down to two or three nights a week since last summer.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just going to say that same thing that Fantasmic isn't shown anymore everynight. Its only performed about 2 times now during any given week (more if its crowded) but I'm thinking that is what she was talking about. Has she been before? That just means she was used to it being every night and then when she saw that it wasn't it can be kind of a shock if you don't have intercot to keep you updated on these things

As far as the park hours....no they do not close early that day based on low attendance.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

We were just at WDW over the dates your co-worker is referring to. We go just about every January and actually, this year was more busy than normal and park hours were typical for this time of year, if not a little better. We weren't disappointed at all with the schedule and didn't experience any cancelled fireworks. We saw Wishes three nights and Illuminations five different nights, so I'm not sure what she's referring to. The wait times on rides were longer than we typically experience. Just about all week, TOT was 60 min waits, longer than TSM at times. On an up note, we only experienced about 30 mins of rain in 11 days of our trip even though perhaps other areas of FL got more. In addition, the temps were perfect, so it was all good!
    Nov 1973 - OS
    Apr 1982 - OS
    Jan 2001 - ASM
    Dec 2001 - ASSp
    Jan 2002 - CBR
    Jan 2003 - CBR
    Dec 2003 - AKL
    Jan 2005 - CBR
    Jan 2006 - CBR/AKL
    Dec 2006 - CBR/OS/POFQ
    Oct 2007 - ASSp/CBR
    Jan 2009 - CBR/AKL
    Jan 2010 - POR/AKL
    Jan 2012 - CBR
    Jan 2013 - CBR
    Feb 2015 - GF
    Feb 2016 - GF

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! As other posters said if you look at the calendar for January the parks typically close earlier than they would say in July. Did she not check any of this out?

It's amazing to me that with this awesome thing called the Internet, how little research people do on places they are going.

On our last trip we stood next to a family (I think there were 6 of them) at SpectroMagic. They came all the way from England and were staying for 2 weeks and had no idea what the meal plan was, ADR's, EMH, etc. I couldn't believe it-to spend all that money and no planning!!!

As an avid planner this effected me greatly!
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

As we all know those January hours were released some time ago. I did all my planning around them and I had no surprises and no cancelled fireworks.

Did she stay in a Disney Resort?
    As we know, they give you the park hours and fireworks times when you check in. The list of Extra Magic Hours are in the rooms by the phone. Very handy.

If she didn't have this info before leaving she would have got it then.

I've been two times in Jan.. this year it was surprisingly busy but the days were plenty long enough. Last time I had a January trip we were able to get everything done long before the early park closure.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: