Quantcast Type 2 Diabetes

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Type 2 Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Type 2 Diabetes

My husband was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He has to check his blood sugar 4x day & watch his carbs, and since this is new to us, how do we manage this when we go to Disneyland? Do they have a special area like a first aid station so he can test his blood sugar, any suggestions food wise, that might be helpful? Thank you!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

a lot would depend on his medication , if he is on insulin or oral meds. I find because of the walking, my glucose is alot lower than normal. But I'm a type 1 diabetic. It's the one place I need to eat dessert in order not to bottom out. Is he on a certain amount of calories or carb counting?

Post Thanks / Like

Just relax and know it can be done. Lots of folks with type-2 diabetes go to Disney all the time. While Disney can't give you carb counts you can talk to the chef at any restaurants and they should be able to help you find good things to eat that are on your DH's diet. My DS9 is a type-1 diabetic and we've done 5 trips to WDW with him with no problems. Check the packaging on most snacks for carb information.

They do have a first aid station, but generally you can find very small portable kits for checking blood sugar. My DS checks his 8-10 x per day and we just carry the kit with us. No problem. With all the walking its a good idea to carry glucose tablets with you (or juice boxes).
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

He's on oral meds.

Post Thanks / Like

With oral meds it can be slightly tricker than dosing with insulin shots, but still not a big deal. just requires some planning. I know we have some folks on Intercot who have done it with the oral meds and hopefully they'll be along soon to give some advice.

In the meantime, I would suggest meeting with your endocrinologist and letting him know you're going to DL. Ask for advice and tips on how to best manage the trip. Doctors are used to people going on vacation and can usually help you work out a plan.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I too am type 2 diabetic, on insulin. I am at Disneyland once or twice a month. I don't have any problem testing there. I usually just sit on a bench, test and I am on my way. I just keep all my used supplies with me and dispose of them at home or first aid (if I am near there).

As Strmchsr said, the Disney chefs are more than happy to help out. A lot of times I will substitute extra vegies for the potatoes. If I really really want something I shouldn't, I take a small dose of insulin I also order the kids meals at the counter services with a side salad. I like it because it give me more portion control.

He will do just fine. Have fun
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you everyone who answered!

I showed this board to my husband & we appreciate all the suggestions you have given us.

Post Thanks / Like

make sure he checks his glucose before bed, with all the walking he may need an extra snack! Or keep an unopened bottle of juice in the room in case he needs it!!Have a great time

Post Thanks / Like

My mom has been twice in the last two years. She has Type 2. She carries her own home glucose monitor in a small bag. She just finds an out of the way bench and does her finger stick right there. No one even noticed that she was doing a finger stick. She puts the strip back in the bag, and flushes it when she gets to a bathroom.

There is no need to keep running to the first aid station.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Default type 2 diabetes

I'm a type 1 and since I have a pump, I have to check even more often! Many parks are now placing sharp containers in rest rooms for the purpose of disposing of lancets and syringes. When I go to parks, I test in a bathroom, usually in a stall so I don't offend anyone. I then put the used strip and lancet in the sharp box. If you can't find a box, you can always take them to the first aid station. As for the meter, there is a One Touch Mini...and it's small enouh to fit in a pocket. That's the one I take to parks. It's very simple to use and has a carrying case to keep everything together. They are inexpensive also...about $20 at any pharmacy.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: