Quantcast Winter Olympics 2010 - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Post Thanks / Like

One last observation...

The Russian sports federation wants a complete makeover of their Olympic training for athletes. This makes sense because the US did this in the late '90's and look at the result.

When we (the US) stopped going to Olympics with true "amateurs" and started having professionals in their sports go we started winning gold medals. I'm talking about letting these athletes get paid endorsement money for training etc. Do you think Apolo Ohno would have stayed around short track for as long as he did without $? He and all the snowboarders, skiers, bobsledders, etc. get corporate money so they can devote their time to training.

This Olympics showed the world that us in North America are truly superior athletes when the table is truly even. Just think back to the days of the Soviet Bloc nations winning everything. Well during those times their sport was their job. They got paid for doing it. Now we do the same thing, and we are winning medals at a record pace. We didn't have the most gold medals but where we made up for that was in the depth of talent in each sport. We had several medal hopefuls going in everything!

Great coaching + Great athletes + financial backing = Olympic Medals
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at some pictures of Socchi, it's absolutely beautiful

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Sochi does look nice. I think that a lot of visitors in 2014 will be surprised to see palm trees in a city that is hosting the winter olympics.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I'm a pretty big sports fan, I'll give you my opinion. First, I find it hard to follow the puck. Maybe it's because I'm blind in one eye, but my good eye is pretty good, I have no trouble following the ball in other sports. Second, it just seems so unorganized, so... messy. To me it's just a bunch of guys running into each other and hoping to get lucky enough to get a shot off. Sometimes you see four or five guys pushing and shoving and then the puck just pops out and goes in the goal. I don't know, just doesn't do it for me.
    Alot of people don't appreciate it when they don't know the nuances of the game. It's actually FAR from "messy". There's a rhyme and a reason for everything that happens. Unfortunately the camera follows the puck, and the viewer cannot see the play developing behind it after it's been dumped into the corner.

Like any other sport, you have your lucky bounces, but for the most part it's the skill of the players that result in goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by indytraveler View Post
    Just think back to the days of the Soviet Bloc nations winning everything. Well during those times their sport was their job. They got paid for doing it.
    Well not only did they get paid for it, but they also cheated egregiously. They applied steroids in vigorous doses to all their athletes and there were even rumors of trying to pass men off as women!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Alot of people don't appreciate it when they don't know the nuances of the game. It's actually FAR from "messy". There's a rhyme and a reason for everything that happens. Unfortunately the camera follows the puck, and the viewer cannot see the play developing behind it after it's been dumped into the corner.
    I totally agree with this, as I too used to think there was no rhyme or reason, and really, what was the point? Now I'm actually proud that I can recognize when someone is having a good/bad game, when there is a different line, etc. The off-sides and icing still confuses me though.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by indytraveler View Post
    One last observation...
    The Russian sports federation wants a complete makeover of their Olympic training for athletes. This makes sense because the US did this in the late '90's and look at the result.
    ...This Olympics showed the world that us in North America are truly superior athletes when the table is truly even....Great coaching + Great athletes + financial backing = Olympic Medals

Did you know who we have to thank for this.
    Thats right folks- the NY Yankees owner
    George Steinbrenner... who had a blistering observation of the US olympic orginization & totaly revamped it !

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Alot of people don't appreciate it when they don't know the nuances of the game... Like any other sport, you have your lucky bounces, but for the most part it's the skill of the players that result in goals.

And it was a skill player that won the game for the Canadians...
    For such a whinner he is quite the winner.

(which reminds me, IAN, how did his OT goal make you feel. Do you hate him more than you did ?)

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    I totally agree with this, as I too used to think there was no rhyme or reason, and really, what was the point? Now I'm actually proud that I can recognize when someone is having a good/bad game, when there is a different line, etc. The off-sides and icing still confuses me though.
    Sometimes it is how I feel about curling...
    but just for the record -
    there are 2 blue lines, 1 center ice line, and 2 small red lines that run just behind the net (or at the start of the net and run to the boards).

Offsides occurs when a team's player gets into the offensive side (just past the blue line) in front of the puck. If the puck goes in first then the play is onsides (and play continues), if the player crossed the blue line first it is offsides (and the whistle sounds).

Icing occurs when a team shoots the puck from beyond the center ice line (the big red one), it is untouched by any player and crosses the little red line on the sides of the goal. In international play the whistle is blown at this point (in other pro leagues- often the defensive team has to touch the puck before an offensive player does, if the offensive player gets it 1st than icing is waived off).
    nuance- if the puck crosses across the goal mouth than icing is also waived off (the shaded area in front of the goal).
    hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Offsides is pretty simple. The puck must cross into the offensive zone before the player. This is done so that when one team is on the defense, one of their players can't just loiter in the opposing team's zone behind everyone else and wait for a long pass.

Icing is when the puck is cleared from a team's own zone and crosses two red lines and is then touched by an opposing player other than the goalie. If the goalie or one of the players of the team that iced the puck touches it first, then the icing is waved off. Another way it can be waved off is if the linesman felt that one of the defensive players could have played the puck before it crossed the final red line.

Hope that helps!

*EDIT*

Whoops...didn't see that Guels answered first! Sorry!

Hey Guels...we need a free agency thread. I have to ask you what the heck your team is thinking!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: