Quantcast Winter Olympics 2010 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Count me in as someone who loved the opening ceremony last night! It captured the spirit of Canada and Canadians perfectly, in my opinion. I especially loved that they brought out representatives of the various First Nations tribes to welcome the athletes. When we were in Alberta 1-1/2 years ago we saw similar demonstrations of First Nations dancing; I wonder if some of them were performing last night. The most incredible moment was when the floor of the stadium turned into water and the whales swam across. The developers did amazing things with projected images!

I was also touched to see the reception the crowds gave the Georgian contingent. To suffer such a loss and to carry on in his name is what the Olympics are all about.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothin' like the Olympics to fire up your patriotism! Last night was exciting for Americans. How about the two Koreans tripping each other in the short track, allowing Apolo Ohno and JR Celski to swoop in for medals? And Hannah Kearney getting the score to win her a gold medal after placing 22nd last time.
    I do hope the Canadians get some gold before it's all said and done, though
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Love Apolo!!!!!! Spillane got our first medal ever in Nordic, yay!!

I can't believe we have our pairs from Florida in the Olympics! Just being there is exciting!

Post Thanks / Like

Apolo was great last night. The short track speed skating gets my pulse racing. It's so exciting (and nerve-wracking!) to watch.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Apolo's first heat last night was amazing. I fell asleep for the final heat, but saw the replay this morning. Wow, how fortunate.

Post Thanks / Like

Loving the games so far watching some great Women's Hockey and all the other events are lots of fun too. Can't wait for Men's Hockey to start Tuesday
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the Winter Olympics to the Summer Olympics... I'm enjoying them so far... GO USA!!!
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who thought the opening ceremonies were just OK... Maybe it was just the mood I was in last night. I thought it was kind of embarrassing that the one post didn't work for the cauldron lighting. i do think that NBC is doing a great job of showcasing Canada, though.
    No not the only one. We thought it was awful. I guess that Bejing really ruined for everybody after them.
    2008 @ VWL Turkey Day 8 day Adventure
    2008 Oct. @ BCV can we not get rained out of MNSSHP?????
    2008 Easter @ BCV & AKV 8 Days of Joy!
    2007 Nov. DVC going home to VWL & MVMCP gotta do it twice!
    2007 Sept. DVC going home to BCV & 1st MNSSHP boo!
    2006 DEC. POLY MKV. Concierge & MVMCP

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the Chinese pair wins the gold medal tonight, I love their story and they are the best ones. Mel, I am having the worst trying staying awake, too, it goes so late. I love when Bilodeau won on the moguls and hugs his brother, who has cerebral palsy, very sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1 View Post
    I hope the Chinese pair wins the gold medal tonight, I love their story and they are the best ones.
    This is what I hate about figure skating there is always some story or drama that definitely effects the scores and the judges always seem biased. I mean I am watching it now and the Canadian team falls and gets 2nd place Really????
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Is everyone ready for Curling to start today? Yay!

You know, if they televised curling during non-olympic years, I think that a lot of people would watch it.

Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    Is everyone ready for Curling to start today? Yay!

You know, if they televised curling during non-olympic years, I think that a lot of people would watch it.

Taping the USA/Germany match right now.

I hope I don't hear people talking about it in the streets before I get home and have it ruined.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    This is what I hate about figure skating there is always some story or drama that definitely effects the scores and the judges always seem biased. I mean I am watching it now and the Canadian team falls and gets 2nd place Really????
    This is true, the scores for skating have long been contested but that's why they changed it to try to make it a bit more fair. The Canadian pair did NOT get 2nd. Gold and Silver went to China, and Bronze to Germany. You can fall and still get a good score if you have enough difficult elements. It's better to have a complex routine and a fall, then to skate a completely flawless routine that doesn't have as much difficulty. The medals were awarded on a combination of scores from the short program and freestyle. Shen and Zhao skated a beautiful, perfect short program, which helped them hang on to the lead over the other Chinese pair, who I feel had the better free program.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I hope I don't hear people talking about it in the streets before I get home and have it ruined.

Post Thanks / Like

A great day for USA Hockey!!!! The men won 3-1 and the Women are currently up 9-0 against Russia! Could this be the year for double Gold?
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    This is true, the scores for skating have long been contested but that's why they changed it to try to make it a bit more fair.
    When the expert Comentators have no clue why the scores are given and how some teams score higher than others, How can the average viewer of the sport I really don't even think the Skaters and coaches understand the scoring any more it's a joke!
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

When the expert Comentators have no clue why the scores are given and how some teams score higher than others, How can the average viewer of the sport I really don't even think the Skaters and coaches understand the scoring any more it's a joke!
    It is actually better than it used to be, with new regulations in place to help ease some of the subjectivity. But it remains a subjective sport in some ways. The athletic elements are pretty easy to pin down to rules comparatively, but the artistic element of the sport leaves some room for debate. I thought the short program pairs was pretty fairly judged after that one team (maybe Canada?) that did not have a flawless program had scores on the high side. But they didn't place, so it became less of an issue. In the end, the deserving teams took home medals for all the right reasons.

Looking forward to men's short program tonight! And I am enjoying curling now. Womens. US vs Japan. I didn't think I really enjoyed curling but I am loving it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

They really said that? I missed that. At any rate, I think the average viewer just watches for the majesty and/or tragedy, which, yes, equals drama! But it's not like ice skating is the only sport that carries drama with it. How many times do we root for the underdog, or the team/player who never won the whole thing??

The new system is not perfect... no system possibly could be when you are judging something like this, as Sherri said... but everyone agrees it's better than the old 6.0 scale. And good coaches know everything about the system. That's why if you watched some of them, every single solitary move down to their bows are choreographed. It is a stage performance as much as it is an athletic one.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Mel, I'm glad you found that funny. What makes it even more funny is that I work in a town that is 70% Hispanic, probably not too many Curling fans there.

Anyway, the USA was awful. They better pick it up or this is gonna be a short tounament. I didn't think the Germans were really that good either, but they made the clutch shots when they had to, and we didn't.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been a fan of any "sport" for lack of a better word where a judge’s score determines the outcome. Although for some odd reason I do like the pair's skating. I don't really care who wins but there's something intriguing about watching a guy pick up a girl and tossing her landing with one skate on the ice.
    Jeff

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: