Quantcast Wheeled Mobility Device Guidelines

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheeled Mobility Device Guidelines

The following guidelines for use of wheeled mobility devices at WDW have been published on the Cast Member web site:

* All wheeled mobility devices must have 3 or 4 wheels and maintain stability and balance when unoccupied.
    * The INDEPENDENCE iBOTT mobility device is permitted for use throughout our parks and resort areas and can be operated in a two-wheel balance mode, but must be in four-wheel mode to board and use attraction ride vehicles and transportation vehicles.
    * Devices must be single-rider. Devices must be used by the person with the disability and are not to be used to carry passengers.
    * Devices may not exceed 36" in width. This dimension is in keeping with the size of our entrance gates.
    * Devices must not be converted recreational devices. For example, pull wagons or coolers on wheels are not permitted.
    * Devices are to be operated while seated.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone explain the difference between the iBOTT and a Segway? I don't understand why Disney would fight tooth-and-nail in the courts to disallow Segways, but freely allow whatever these "iBOTTS" are, even explicitly allowing them in two-wheeled mode, unless there was some substantial differences between the two.

So, does anyone know the difference between them?
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

They aren't freely doing it -- the mayor of Miami Beach (I think) sued them. They are gyroscopically balanced.

I gotta say, I can see why the cast members told him to put it down to the ground, the things look unstable lol -- they can rise up to 6 ft

Go to youtube and see one of the videos. It is a bit freaky, it looked ready to fall over to me.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

It does look like it would be unstable, but if you look on YouTube, you will find a video of a guy in one at a shooting range. He isn't shooting a little handgun or 22. He is shooting a 12 guage shotgun. If anyone has ever shot one, then you know that there is a good amount of kick to the gun. That IBot did not move an inch, and yes the guy was up fully in the two wheel mode.

The difference between the IBot and the Segway is that the IBot is a recognized mobility device for the handicapped by the ADA and the Segway is not. Also the IBot is has more than just 2 wheels and not everyone can use the IBot. Everyone who has one has to go through special classes and be certified in order to use one. They also have to have Dr's and OT and PT recommendations to even be considered to get one.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I saw a guy leaning backwards and it wobbles -- just like a gyroscope. LOL. I am sure it wouldn't fall over but personally I don't think I could ever feel comfortable in one, being a weenie (and unwilling to fork over $26K).
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

The iBOTT is a pretty serious piece of equipment and costs a small fortune. The user receives weeks of training on how to use it. Somehow I don't think that people would be plunking $30K down on one, if it wasn't stable.

Another difference between a Segway and an iBOTT is that one stands on a Segway while the iBOTT (from what I have seen) is a wheelchair whose chair elevates when the equipment rises up to two wheels, effectively putting the user at eye level with people who are ambulatory.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Wow just looked this up on youtube, am very impressed. This would help so many, would like one for DD's BF. Maybe some day it will be more affordable, new tech always costs more.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that they are not making them anymore. They were too cost prohibitive and most insurances wouldn't pay for them when they could use a regular power wheelchair at 1/3 of the cost.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: