Quantcast Best Rivalry In Sports - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    It's definitely a rivalry, but only one can be "The Best". What I'm saying is that if some Alabama fans think that the rivalry with Tenn is "The Best" (and I'm not saying that, just commenting because you threw it out there) then I think that takes away from their rivalry with Auburn being "The Best". If you ask any Michigan or OS fan which is "The Best", you'll get one unanimous answer.
    And I bet that answer would be Auburn vs Alabama if they were honest. In fact Army vs Navy would be second. Michigan vs Ohio State may be third

You will also get a unnanimous answer from Auburn vs. Alabama fans. My college roomate was a Michigan native, who moved down for school. He swore that their was nothing bigger than big ten football until he lived here for a few months. He knew better then, it was hard for him to swallow but he finally realized just how epic it is down here. Tenneessee vs Alabama is a rivalry but no Bama fan would ever tell you its as big as the Iron Bowl. The Iron Bowl is the biggest rivalry, in the best conference. But it is obvious both are great battles no matter which one you think is the best!
    Loads of trips since 1974...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post
    You will also get a unnanimous answer from Auburn vs. Alabama fans.
    I agree, then we can remove Alabama vs Tenn from your list.

I would also remove FSU vs Florida and Florida vs Georgia. I'm not fan, but according to this Gator fan:
    Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    It's a totally regional thing and I have to go with...

FL-Georgia

or

FL-FSU

Having been a Gator my entire life, I can't choose between these two rivalries.
    Again, I just believe that if you have to consider two rivalries with the same team, then niether of them can be "The Best".
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, then we can remove Alabama vs Tenn from your list.

I would also remove FSU vs Florida and Florida vs Georgia. I'm not fan, but according to this Gator fan:
    Again, I just believe that if you have to consider two rivalries with the same team, then niether of them can be "The Best".
    But someone gave me food for thought after I posted that statement.

If Georgia is having a bad year, our defeating them isn't as sweet. But FSU's record is irrelevant. I want to smash them regardless. So I guess that makes that rivalry number one in my mind.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post
    Nascarfan wrote:

It's entirely too subjective to say which is the absolute best and get any kind of agreement.

Which is the entire point of discussing it.
    LOL! True dat!
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who follows college football fairly close. Like to watch as many games as I can. My Question to everyone who thinks Alabama / Auburn is a "national" rivalry. Meaning it gets national attention. When was that game? I don't remember.

Being here in the isolated midwest my whole life Ohio St / Michigan is much more heated. Now the last 8 years hasn't been a "rivalry" because Michigan has to win to make it a rivalry.
    Back in the 10 year war when Woody and Bo squared off something was at stake every year. The Rose Bowl!! Everyone knows who going to the Rose Bowl, because there were only a handful of Bowl games each year. When a game has that much riding on it it makes for a fiercer competition. Also, when was the last time a college coach wouldn't buy gas in the state of his rival? Woody did that when he couldn't get his car back to Ohio before it ran out of gas. His assistant who was with him got out and push the car back into Ohio.

As far as who else is Ohio St. rival. The rest of the Big 10. Nobody likes Ohio St. Best teams money can buy.
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

But someone gave me food for thought after I posted that statement.

If Georgia is having a bad year, our defeating them isn't as sweet. But FSU's record is irrelevant. I want to smash them regardless. So I guess that makes that rivalry number one in my mind.
    Oh I have no doubt that it is #1 to you, you are a fan (and maybe even alum) and it should be that way. But this thread is about "The Best" period. I think most people who have no rooting interest would say Army/Navy or Alabama/Auburn or Michigan/OSU is better than UF/FSU.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by indytraveler View Post
    Also, when was the last time a college coach wouldn't buy gas in the state of his rival? Woody did that when he couldn't get his car back to Ohio before it ran out of gas. His assistant who was with him got out and push the car back into Ohio.
    Yea, but did he ever punch anyone from Michigan?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, but did he ever punch anyone from Michigan?
    Not on camera.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by indytraveler View Post
    Back in the 10 year war when Woody and Bo squared off something was at stake every year. The Rose Bowl!! Everyone knows who going to the Rose Bowl, because there were only a handful of Bowl games each year. When a game has that much riding on it it makes for a fiercer competition. Also, when was the last time a college coach wouldn't buy gas in the state of his rival? Woody did that when he couldn't get his car back to Ohio before it ran out of gas. His assistant who was with him got out and push the car back into Ohio.

As far as who else is Ohio St. rival. The rest of the Big 10. Nobody likes Ohio St. Best teams money can buy.
    It's very hard to believe they only coached against each other for 10 years (although true). With all the stories and legends, you'd think they prowled the sidelines facing each other for half a century or more.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child

Post Thanks / Like

I've punched an FSU fan off camera. Does that legitimize my statement?
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

I've punched an FSU fan off camera. Does that legitimize my statement?
    Hahahaha! Sure!
    Scott
    2 visits as a child

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Talking of rivalries how about this one.

June 12th 2010

World Cup (Soccer)

ENGLAND v USA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Reservoir Dog View Post
    Talking of rivalries how about this one.

June 12th 2010

World Cup (Soccer)

ENGLAND v USA
    Yea Dog... bring it on! 1950 all over again!

On a side note: You call it "Soccer"?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Yea Dog... bring it on! 1950 all over again!

On a side note: You call it "Soccer"?
    I think that Reservoir Dog is calling it soccer so that he doesn't confuse us Americans. I call it football, but others might get it confused with American football. Right, Dog?

I was happy with the draw today! Saturday, June 12th, 2010! My calendars already marked!

I, of course, wouldn't consider England-USA a rivalry. Now England-Argentina? RIVALRY! USA-Mexico? RIVALRY!!!

Good luck, Dog!!!!
    "When I think of vacation, I think of Disney. I really do. They allow you just to open up your imagination and just be a kid again. There's nothing like it in the world."

"There's no rest on planetary duty." -Paul Watson

You'll Never Walk Alone - Justice For The 96!!!

Post Thanks / Like

To Scar,

I would not remove Alabama vs Tennessee from the list. It simply is a notch below some of the others. I don't like the Colts (no offense Indytraveler) but I also dislike the Ravens I am very passionate about my dislike for both. However if I had to choose I would say I dislike the Ravens more. This does not mean I am not passionate about disiking the Colts. When they play I tend to cheer for a natural disaster . Another example I would think Michigan vs Notre Dame would rank as one of the top 20. This does not mean however that Michigan vs Ohio State should not be placed in its proper slot at number three.

Alabama vs Tennessee is a great rivalry, the third Saturday of October is a right of passage in the south. It truly ranks as one of the greats. Just because a team has multiple rivalries does not mean that they both are not great. Georgia vs Florida is a great rivalry as is Florida vs FSU but neither would be top 5 IMO.

As for England vs America well to bad I cheer for England as one of Americas greatest freinds. This I think is a friendly rivalry, as opposed to perhaps America vs France or Alabama vs Auburn.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davyjones View Post
    I think that Reservoir Dog is calling it soccer so that he doesn't confuse us Americans. I call it football, but others might get it confused with American football. Right, Dog?

I was happy with the draw today! Saturday, June 12th, 2010! My calendars already marked!

I, of course, wouldn't consider England-USA a rivalry. Now England-Argentina? RIVALRY! USA-Mexico? RIVALRY!!!

Good luck, Dog!!!!
    Yep i use the term "soccer" for intercot but otherwise its "football" for me back in the UK

A good draw for us but i would have loved to have been in the same group as France so we could beat the "Hand of Frog " Mr Henri as he is now known as in Europe .
    I did laugh when Frances name got pulled out that you could hear some booing

USA and England should get through ...WELL England anway

PS No Rivalry with UK and USA agree its friendly as said above ...
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davyjones View Post

Good luck, Dog!!!!

You're spot on there Davy!

FOR SCAR

Yes, called it soccer so not to confuse although I do get confused that you call it Football when you actually throw the ball.

FOR RAIDER

I'm sure we're going to have alot of fun with this one for the next 7 months.

FOR ANYONE

Can someone please tell me how to do quotes from different people on one reply.

Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Reservoir Dog View Post
    FOR ANYONE

Can someone please tell me how to do quotes from different people on one reply.

Thank You
    You click "multi-quote" in the bottom right corner of each post until you get to the last person you want to quote and then click "quote". HTH
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the

If You Can Read This...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER View Post
    Yep i use the term "soccer" for intercot but otherwise its "football" for me back in the UK

A good draw for us but i would have loved to have been in the same group as France so we could beat the "Hand of Frog " Mr Henri as he is now known as in Europe .
    I did laugh when Frances name got pulled out that you could hear some booing

USA and England should get through ...WELL England anway

PS No Rivalry with UK and USA agree its friendly as said above ...
    "Hand of Frog"!!!!! AWESOME!!!!! I MUST start using that one!!!
    "When I think of vacation, I think of Disney. I really do. They allow you just to open up your imagination and just be a kid again. There's nothing like it in the world."

"There's no rest on planetary duty." -Paul Watson

You'll Never Walk Alone - Justice For The 96!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: