Quantcast Best Rivalry In Sports

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Rivalry In Sports

Last night I heard an ESPN commentator say the Ohio State vs Michigan rivalry was the premiere rivalry in sports. I would beg to differ.

So In your opinion what are the best rivalries?

College:
    Auburn vs Alabama:
    No offense to anyone but the passion of Auburn vs Alabama cannot be touched. If you live in the south you know this is true. I have zero rooting intrest in either team but I can see the obvious.

Pro:
    Red Sox vs Yankees:
    As much as I love the NFL and probably would have siad Bears vs Packers years ago, the Yankees Sox war has overtaken any NFL rivalry IMO.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Greenlawler, I do agree with Alabama/Auburn. A good friend of mine is an Auburn grad. She doesn't care much for football, and she also doesn't care much for Bama . Where I don't agree is this Yankees/Red Sox "rivalry" ESPN and Fox shove down the country's throats every year. The only reason why it's halfway relevant in my 20 year lifetime was the 04 ALCS and that was courtesy of a Yankee choke. The TRUE pro rivalry does involve a Boston team, the Bruins. Bruins/Canadiens is the only sports rivalry where a fight is guaranteed to break out every time these two teams play and it's great hockey as well.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

I'd offer up Duke-Carolina in basketball.

Post Thanks / Like

Just as a preface, I am a SEC and southern fanboy all the way...

While one team hasn't been up there the last few years, Florida State-Florida is always a huge game. Auburn-Alabama and Florida-Georgia would also be up there too. Mississippi State-Ole Miss, Auburn-Georgia as well in no particular order...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportsguy2315 View Post
    Where I don't agree is this Yankees/Red Sox "rivalry" ESPN and Fox shove down the country's throats every year.
    Are you kidding me? The Red Sox-Yankees rivalry is brutal and not a media invention. Try walking around NYC in a Red Sox hat. Or visiting Boston in Yankees gear. It's not unusual to have things thrown at you, names called, or worse. There have been murders, yes, over the rivalry. Ridiculous and sad but true. The Red Sox and Yankees fans will name their team as their favorite and "Anyone who isn't" the opposite team as their next favorite. Bruins/Canadiens? Please-- that's just the nature of hockey. It's not a big rivalry.

That said, rivalries seem more significant depending on where you live. I've lived in MI, and yes, I would agree that it's one of the biggest rivalries in sports. And before I lived in MI, I heard of it. I was not aware of the Auburn/Alabama rivalry at all. So, one of the biggest? Not sure. To be a big rivalry, to me, it has to have a long-standing history that affects fans not just when the teams are currently playing, but through the years until it reaches legendary proportions widely known and reported outside just the region where the teams are popular. And I think college rivalries are generally more significant than pro sports rivalries (even though I had to attest to the very real bad feelings that often come between Yanks and Sox fans).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Have to go with the Iron Bowl, Alabama vs. Auburn.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    That said, rivalries seem more significant depending on where you live.
    I totally agree with this!

Post Thanks / Like

I also think it changes based on the competitiveness of the games. Being from Cleveland the OSU v UM games and the Browns v Steelers games used to be huge events but with both rivalries being so one sided lately I couldn't even get motivated to send my friend who is a UM fan the "We Don't Give a <Snip> About the Whole State of Michigan" song disguised as something else like I usually do. Also being a Browns fan has been completely depressing since '95.
    Last edited by Ian; 12-01-2009 at 01:16 PM.
    April 2000 -- ASMu
    November 2004 -- ASMo (First time with kids)
    September 2005 -- Pop
    September 2007 -- Pop
    January 2009 -- POR
    April 2012 -- POR (Cramming 6 people in one room)
    July 2014 -- Pop (12 days in Disney)

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe its a result of watching Bellino and then Staubach dominate Army for the four years I watched the game, along with 4000 fellow midshipmen, from the stands of Veterans Stadium, but the Army-Navy game still stands as a highlight of each season. Unlike most rivalries, it is a true national rivalry...actually, it is an internationally followed rivalry...I recall rising way before dawn to listen to the 1967 game, via the Military Auxiliary Radio System relay, while in Southeast Asia...and Navy won!
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

rivalries all depend on where you live. Yes up here in Big 10 country Michigan/Ohio St football is pretty big. Years ago it used to be who won went to the Rose Bowl. Not so much anymore. While I agree Alabama/Auburn is a rivalry. The true college football rivalry is Army/Navy. No national championships getting in the way. This one has huge bragging rights that go all the way up to the White House.

The proximity between the 2 teams also festers good and not so good feelings between each teams fans. Example Duke/Carolina has less than 10 miles between the 2 campuses so this is a really heated rivalry.

Good Thread for debate
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Are you kidding me? The Red Sox-Yankees rivalry is brutal and not a media invention. Try walking around NYC in a Red Sox hat. Or visiting Boston in Yankees gear. It's not unusual to have things thrown at you, names called, or worse. There have been murders, yes, over the rivalry. Ridiculous and sad but true. The Red Sox and Yankees fans will name their team as their favorite and "Anyone who isn't" the opposite team as their next favorite.
    Agreed. I went on a whale watch at Cape Cod once wearing a Yankee hat and thought I was going to get keelhauled!

You go to Boston, and their obsession with hating everything Yankees is almost as passionate as their love for the Sawks.

Go to Yankee Stadium before a game against the Red Sox and there are as many vendors outside the stadium selling anti-Sox merchandise as there are selling Yankee stuff.

It's BRUTAL.

Post Thanks / Like

Army-Navy
    FSU-Florida
    Georgia-Florida
    Alabama-Auburn
    OSU-Michigan

There are 100s of "rivalries". It depends on what sport, what location.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Since the question is "best" and not "most popular" the answer is...

Easton / Phillipsburg

I believe it is still the only High School football game shown live on national TV.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Yankees/ and that Boston team is a major one.

I also agree with Scar- Easton-P-burg was even on Espn twice! Pretty good for High School Football!

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that regional bias plays a role. I understood that before I asked the question.

I thought Army vs Navy would get some response. I do think it is proably the second biggest rivalry.

I have noticed some votes for Florida vs Georgia. Great rivalry but not even the best in the SEC. In fact I would rate it below Tennessee vs Alabama, and maybe even below Miss St. vs. Ole Miss. Florida has so many rivals: Fla St., Georgia, Tennessee etc..

The question was and remains what is the greatest rivalry in college and pro sports? No matter the sport of location.

I would suggest if you are interested, look up Lipscomb vs Belmont now that is a fierce rivalry.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

Does a vote for "Affirmed / Alydar" count?

How about "Ali / Frazier"?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Another vote for Alabama/Auburn. A close friend is a 'Bama grad and that's the most heated rivalry I've ever seen.

I'd have to put Red Sox/Yankees a close second.

Old school? How about Sixers/Celtics?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dolphins/Jets is pretty heated also.

Rangers/Islanders gets people going also...enough that the organist at Madison Square Garden doesn't play a certain tune anymore, and if anyone is caught singing the altered lyrics to it, they get removed from the arean.

Wanna go old school? How about Don Prudhomme/Tom McEwen?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, being from Ohio, my bias leans towards Ohio State-Michigan being the greatest rivalry. Your hard core fans want one team of the pair to be undefeated every year and the other to be winless, and it depends on whether you wear scarlet and gray or blue and gold as to which team you want to be which. And the jokes that go back and forth, some of them funny, some of them downright disgustingly cruel.

I also whole heartedly agree with those posters who say it mostly depends on where you live as to what you will say is the greatest. Shall we split it down the middle and say north of the Mason/Dixon line its Ohio State-Michigan and south of the line its Alabama-Auburn? Because I can honestly say I have never cared about Bama-Auburn, no disrespect to either team or their fans, it's just not important in this area of the country.

I like the argument of Army-Navy too, as that has followings all throughout the world, where ever our men and women are based.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

Being a Midwesterner, I must admit that I agree that Michigan-OSU is a huge rivalry. I realize that the competition hasn't been too even the past few years, but if you look at it historically, it's huge, especially during the Bo-vs.-Woody days. When I was growing up, I didn't realize that all those other Big 10 schools had a chance to go to the Rose Bowl, too, because it always came down to the U-M/OSU game.

Also, since my family is from Alabama, I know that Alabama-Auburn is a big deal. This divided my "Alabama relatives" pretty much down the middle.

Finally, as much as I love my Wolverines, I think Yankees-Red Sox is probably the biggest rivalry of all.
    Tammy

8/78, 5/88, 3/90, 3/94 - WDW - Off-Site
    5/86, 7/91, 3/99 - DL - Off-Site
    10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    7/01 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #1
    2/02 - WDW - WL
    7/03 - WDW - Poly - surprise b-day trip
    12/04 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #2
    1/06 - WDW - Poly - surprise 6th b-day for DD

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: