Quantcast Vote: Worst Franchise in sports poll

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Worst Franchise Ever?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cleveland Browns NFL

4 16.00%
  • Los Angeles Clippers NBA

6 24.00%
  • Detroit Lions NFL

13 52.00%
  • Milawaukee Brewers MLB

0 0%
  • Pheonix Cardinals NFL

0 0%
  • Atlanta Hawks NBA

2 8.00%
  • Golden State Warriors NBA

0 0%
  • Memphis Grizzlies NBA

0 0%
  • Chicago Blackhawks NHL

0 0%
  • Kansas City Royals MLB

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vote: Worst Franchise in sports poll

read an article in the Wahington Post that spurred this on.

Okay so who is the worst?

Based on fuetility, poor choices, fan support.

So here are my nominees:
    Cleveland Browns: Clearly one of the perinial doormats of the NFL since their re-entry. Great hard luck fans who deserve much better. A regular coaching carousel. It truly sums up the fate of the franchise when you realize that the original Browns, once they moved to Baltimore won a Super Bowl quickly there after.
    Los Angeles Clippers: Do I even have to explain this one? The odds on favorite to win this poll. In the history of the franchise they have never been legitimate contenders. How many years in a row did the Clippers miss on first round draft picks?
    Detroit Lions: You would have to go back to the 60's to find a championship calibur Lions sqaud. In fact they perhaps only the Lions could feature the greatest running back in history during the 90's, and not win with him. Need we even mention last year? The first 0-16 team in history. Yet next week fans will watch them on Thanksgiving again, highlighting just how bad they are.
    Milwaukee Brewers: While just about every other team in baseball has had at least some level of triumph, fans in Milwaukee have suffered through an awful dry spell. As a fan of this team myself it is painful to even type this. Only one AL championship in 1982 and only one playoff run since.
    Arizona Cardinals: Okay I know they made the Super Bowl last year. But until proven otherwise...one hit wonder. Four, I repeat four playoff runs in the history of the team. If it had not been for last year, I think they would have been the favorite.
    Atlanta Hawks: How is this team still there? Not since the days Dominique Williams and Spud Webb has this team been at all relavent. Their fans are easily among the worst fan bases in sports.
    Golden State Warriors: How many casual sports fans even know this team exsists? If they do it is probably becuase they have heard of Chris Mullins, or knew that Chris Weber was traded from there. Forget about the old days of Rick Berry, This team traded away Robert Parrish! It has been more than 30 years since the Warriors flashed a ring.
    Memphis Grizzlies: Basketball in Memphis? It should have been a marriage made in heaven. However the strong ties to the University of Memphis and the high ticket prices have led to an abundance of empty seats. The only thing that perhaps keeps the franchise in Memphis is the young talent, promising a bright future and the deep pockets of Fed Ex.
    Chicago Blackhawks: While Bruins fans can sypathize with the Hawks plight, at least the Bruins played to somewhat full houses. The coutries third largest city, an original team, playing to an empty building for years. Last stanley Cup? 1961.
    Kansas City Royals: Great fans, George Brett, Brett Saberhagen, good times. Then it began, the billion dollar baseball era of the have's and the have not's. The Royals have become the poster children for the have not's. Since 1995 there has been no team as dismal as the Royals even loosing more 100 games in three straight seasons.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My choices aren't listed. Pittsbugh Pirates in the NL (I only follow NL) and Oakland Raiders in the NFL, only because of Davis. Don't follow Hockey or Basketball.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Again too many choices not listed- but I voted for detroit lions anyway.

Hockey- NY Islanders
    I wouldn't call the raiders the worst- they have had a tough few decades. Now this year...
    dont the cubs count- yeah they win sometimes, but aren't they like the jets- in the offseason, they are going to take it this year...
    and if you call the clevland browns- do you mean the old browns (now baltimore ravens) or the new browns- the expansion team ? didn't their few years without a team kind of restart the franchise ?
    also- not that I know all the history- but didn't the browns win the old championship before the AFL & NFL merger ?
    here's to the fans of any team that has taken it on the chin for at least 10 years...

Post Thanks / Like

It's the Browns for me. Living in WV we are forced to watch their games every Sunday
    Can't remember a season they won since....maybe the 80s
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gueli View Post
    Hockey- NY Islanders
    I'll agree with you there to a point, anyone crazy enough to hire Mike Milbury as a GM is an automatic qualifier. However, at least you guys aren't bankrupt like Phoenix and y'all are off to a decent start.
    My choices BTW (By league):
    MLB: Pittsburgh Pirates
    NBA: Memphis Grizzlies
    NFL: Oakland Raiders/Cleveland Browns
    NHL: Phoenix Coyotes
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gueli View Post
    Again too many choices not listed- but I voted for detroit lions anyway.

Hockey- NY Islanders
    I wouldn't call the raiders the worst- they have had a tough few decades. Now this year...
    dont the cubs count- yeah they win sometimes, but aren't they like the jets- in the offseason, they are going to take it this year...
    and if you call the clevland browns- do you mean the old browns (now baltimore ravens) or the new browns- the expansion team ? didn't their few years without a team kind of restart the franchise ?
    also- not that I know all the history- but didn't the browns win the old championship before the AFL & NFL merger ?
    here's to the fans of any team that has taken it on the chin for at least 10 years...
    I considered the new Browns not the old. I just could not rank the Islanders above some of these. How quickly do we forget the good times. At least the Isles had some.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=sportsguy2315;1986441]I'll agree with you there to a point, anyone crazy enough to hire Mike Milbury as a GM is an automatic qualifier. However, at least you guys aren't bankrupt like Phoenix and y'all are off to a decent start.
    My choices BTW (By league):
    MLB: Pittsburgh Pirates
    NBA: Memphis Grizzlies
    NFL: Oakland Raiders/Cleveland Browns
    NHL: Phoenix Coyotes

The Pirates were my last cut. The Raiders have been relavent, this decade. I did not count the Blue Jackets or Coyotes because I think they are done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post
    The Raiders have been relavent, this decade.
    If that's your logic for this list, the Blackhawks have been relevant this decade, not only on the ice with their run to the Western Conference Finals last season but off the ice as well by finally spending the money they always had but Bill Wirtz would never touch to get such players as Marian Hossa and John Madden. Playing to "an empty building for years"? Again, not true my friend. While it is true that the Blackhawks were towards the bottom of the attendance for most of the decade, they led the NHL in both home and overall attendance last season while they lead in total home attendance again this season. If this list was put out circa 2006-07 I'd agree with you, but the Blackhawks are back.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!

Post Thanks / Like

The Toronto Maple Leafs aren't listed.

They are consistently absent from post season play. But yet the arena is always filled to capacity. They are the most expensive team to go and see play in the NHL but the worst performers.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I had to vote for the Lions. Right now, I don't think they could fill a high school stadium. The Brewers are very frustrating, but the new management regime has been making good moves outside of pitching. They seem to err on the side of caution since the Suppan deal as far as pitching is concerned.
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm partial, but I had to vote for the Detroit Lions.

Their last championship was in 1957. Since then, they've won one playoff game. Aside from Barry Sanders, the two best players they've had in my lifetime (46 years) have both been kickers (Eddie Murray and Jason Hanson). The Matt Millen fiasco was a disaster, and they haven't been able to lure a reputable head coach to Detroit in decades.

Unfortunately, enough fans still show up for their games and buy their merchandise that the ownership (William Clay Ford) doesn't seem to think he needs to make any major changes.
    Tammy

8/78, 5/88, 3/90, 3/94 - WDW - Off-Site
    5/86, 7/91, 3/99 - DL - Off-Site
    10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    7/01 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #1
    2/02 - WDW - WL
    7/03 - WDW - Poly - surprise b-day trip
    12/04 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #2
    1/06 - WDW - Poly - surprise 6th b-day for DD

Post Thanks / Like

The Raiders have been relavent, this decade.
    Well, yea, they did lose a Super Bowl this decade, badly. But I mean come on, just for Al Davis alone they need to considered.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportsguy2315 View Post
    If that's your logic for this list, the Blackhawks have been relevant this decade, not only on the ice with their run to the Western Conference Finals last season but off the ice as well by finally spending the money they always had but Bill Wirtz would never touch to get such players as Marian Hossa and John Madden. Playing to "an empty building for years"? Again, not true my friend. While it is true that the Blackhawks were towards the bottom of the attendance for most of the decade, they led the NHL in both home and overall attendance last season while they lead in total home attendance again this season. If this list was put out circa 2006-07 I'd agree with you, but the Blackhawks are back.
    True the Hawks are on the upswing but am I sensing a little "homeridus" they have been back for maybe two or three years, and they have not won a championship. . Rare is the list of this sort without the Blackhawks my friend. You tell me that I am wrong about empty buildings and yet the next sentence you confirm my point. So what the last two years have been good, but 40 years of fuetility cannot be erased in two seasons.
    The Raiders, I cannot stand them either. Should probably have been in the next ten, but the 90's years on the whole were okay. Plus they did win a Superbowl in the 70's and 80's. What year was it the last year the Hawks flew a banner?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianWDWFan View Post
    The Toronto Maple Leafs aren't listed.

They are consistently absent from post season play. But yet the arena is always filled to capacity. They are the most expensive team to go and see play in the NHL but the worst performers.
    The Leafs are a common find on list like this as are the Bruins, Blue Jackets, Predators, and Islanders, and Thrashers. However the Leafs do make a heck of allot of cash and the franchise seems to be wildly profitable. Yet again the Leafs would probably be on the second list.
    I would argue against their inclusion based on their fan base. The Blue Jackets and Coyotes are already moving more than likely so I eliminated them. The Predators, well there is a whole lot of misconceptions about this franchise, but that maybe the homer in me. The Thrashers are in a horrid sports market, and the Isles well come on the late 70's early 80's were just too good.

Post Thanks / Like

True the Hawks are on the upswing but am I sensing a little "homeridus" they have been back for maybe two or three years, and they have not won a championship. . Rare is the list of this sort without the Blackhawks my friend. You tell me that I am wrong about empty buildings and yet the next sentence you confirm my point. So what the last two years have been good, but 40 years of fuetility cannot be erased in two seasons.
    While my family IS from Chicago, I am not a Blackhawks fan, but I am happy to see an Original Six team come back to power, much like I'll be happy as a hockey fan to see Toronto and Boston excise their demons.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the worst franchise ever. But right now I'm thinking it might be the Redskins.
    *A dream is a wish your heart makes*

Post Thanks / Like

I don't follow sports THAT closely, but this is a no-brainer. The Pittsburgh Pirates are the worst professional team in any sport, EVER. The have has more consecutive losing seasons that any team, EVER! I'm not positive, but I think they are at 18 years in a row now. The sportscasters here make jokes about how bad they are and their "another loss" every day.
    '84 - offsite
    '98 - Contemporary
    '00 - offsite
    '03 - Contemporary
    '05 - Polynesian
    '06 - Contemporary
    '07 - Contemporary
    June '08 - Port Orleans Riverside (surprise Father's day gift)
    Dec '08 - Contemporary
    Aug-09 - CSR
    Dec '09 - BLT
    May '10 - Polynesian
    Feb '11 - CSR
    Nov '13 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneyboundagain View Post
    I don't follow sports THAT closely, but this is a no-brainer. The Pittsburgh Pirates are the worst professional team in any sport, EVER. The have has more consecutive losing seasons that any team, EVER! I'm not positive, but I think they are at 18 years in a row now. The sportscasters here make jokes about how bad they are and their "another loss" every day.

And yet the are multiple time World Series winners. Many of the teams on this list have never, ever won a championship. I agree the Pirates are in a woeful cycle, but they still have more World Series rings than about half of the MLB.

Post Thanks / Like

Worst is such a subjective thing to determine. The Pirates are bad, but that has more to do with that team's ownership than the players. The Pirates ownership group is a reason why I want a salary minimum and for teams who receive revenue sharing to provide an account on how that money is spent.

For the NFL, I'll say the Buffalo Bills. Until Ralph Wilson opens up the wallet and signs highly touted draft choices and stops playing bargain basement bingo with his choice for coach, the Bills will be a mess.

NBA, I'll go with the Clippers. You are in a basketball rich area, so stop running your franchise like buffoons!

Not enough of a hockey fan to make an educated choice for the NHL.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

For NFL, I'd have to go with the new Cleveland Browns. For NBA, I'd have to go with the Clippers.
    Most the other ones on the list have won a championship of some sort, or at least come close at some point. So based on actual franchise history, even if "ancient", that's my picks.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: